Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion please!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugan

Reaction score
Gents,

I've been looking at images of, and reading about the different vendors and DIY braced swingarms and have a few thoughts and a few questions. I've read very little about the intent behind different designs, other than "stiffer is better". Is it? Or would some limited, remaining flex reduce strain on the main frame and swingarm pivot points?

For background, I'm not interested in extended swingarms, but interested in an optimal swingarm for spirited canyon-carving type riding (stock length, but improved). Looks are less important to me - function wins on this topic.

What I've noticed is that the approach to bracing the swingarm varies a lot between different vendors and DIY'ers.

Materials:
For tubing, I see round tubing in 1 inch OD up to 1.5inch OD tubing, others use boxed tubing. Wall thickness of the tubing can range from around .065 up to .1 inch thickness.. maybe more. Others have no idea what tubing they're using other than "it's free or cheap, let's use it!" (I'm really tempted by this approach BTW :biglaugh: ).
Questions I have here are: Why choose a certain diameter, and why choose a certain wall thickness/ gauge of tubing? At what point is extra thickness and weight actively working-AGAINST you by making the swingarm so heavy that handling and responsiveness to road conditions is compromised? Based on the limited chassis / motorcycle suspension theory I've ready, the ideal suspension is light and stiff (helping it to be responsive)

Bracing points:
Most all the braces follow the similar approach of a 180 deg bent tubing (or 2 pieces welded to comprise a 180 bend) with arms going either all the way to the ends of the swingarm ends, but some stop short of going the full length, and instead stop on both sides just before the pumpkin / final drive housing. Most braces I've seen have at least 3 attachment points (at ends of swingarm, and somewhere near the pivot area, typically the cross brace), and a few have 4, maybe 5 points of attachment. I assume more is better, but this involves more work, but importantly more weight. Is it best to brace it along the arms, cross brace, or along the main tube holding the bearings? Seems to me it'd be best to transfer the flexing forces as close to the pivot area as possible. True?
example:
BRACEDSWINGARM2.jpg

and one where the cross brace is used as an attachment on a lengthened arm:
Bottom%20View.JPG

also:
100_0910_op_202x151.jpg

(seems to be missing a connection to the cross brace or pivot area?)

Distance above swingarm / angle of brace:
Is there an optimal distance from the swingarm for the brace to be installed/welded? Should it run parralel, or increasingly away from the swingarm as it approaches the pivot area? Where are the main points of stress and main points of flex on the swingarm? I suppose some designs consider clearance with OEM exhaust. Too many questions, right? :p
Examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44543013@N06/4960360594/

Boxing / gusset ideas:
Some braced swingarms have boxed in or gusseted that area between the pivot and the cross brace. Another design boxes in the outside, sides of the arms about 3-4inches from the pivot, along the arms. Is this over-kill?
Example:
braceleft.jpg

Other reinforcement:
Necessary to weld in a section of 3in OD pipe inside the driveshaft entry point (from trans)? It's been mentioned in a few posts in the old tech-list/ mailing list I used to subscribe to.

Weight:
Curious if anyone has weighed their swingarm, and compared it to the weight of current day sport bike swingarms?

Or.... anything is better than nothing.. stop analyzing? :bang head:

Currently I think my preference is something like this, but with the right side brace going the length of the arm:
swingarm_reinforcing.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences good or bad?

Cheers! :cheers:

Re: Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion plea

The last one with the braces going towards the ends would be the most ideal design. The flex would be transferred to the most rigid part of the swingarm assembly. BUT, exhaust clearance will play a very big part in what you can get in there. With the extended swingarm you don't have to worry about that much. BUT, with systems like stock, Marks, or the kerker the hoops have to be run to clear them.

We like the 1"x2" flat box bracing we use on most of the arms. It's heavier but also very low to the ground so the COG is going to be improved by shifting the weight down low. We've also done dual round tube bracing. The second tube might add a bit of structure to the arm but it's more of a looks thing at that point.

Our arm braces can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morle...set=a.282805963678.144230.282702488678&type=3

What I need is a force transducer so I can measure the amount of force required for a certain amount of travel/movement. If anyone knows of one that we can borrow or buy (cheaply) then please let me know.

Re: Swingarm brace / bracing design thoughts & theory - your experience/ opinion plea

Lugan,

Another option is Sean's "flat" brace. It's a "U" shaped box tubing welded directly on to the swingarm. It's much more compact than the typical brace, doesn't hang down, and does a good job stiffening the swingarm. I have this style and am happy with it. It clear's a Mark's exhaust and allows you to retain the center stand. Sean should have pictures of it.

Here is another version. This one is from Cycle One Off, that's sporting a double notch for a 200 tire.

Attachments

• P1020395.jpg
    P1020395.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1020396.jpg
    P1020396.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1020397.jpg
    P1020397.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 67
  • P1020398.jpg
    P1020398.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020400.jpg
    P1020400.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 62

Thanks for the replies gents, keep em coming.

Any opinions on the real-world results of your braced arms? Notice a difference at all? Has anyone experienced any down-sides like stress cracks in the main frame?

My goal is to keep it as light as possible. Might go with a thin wall tubing, but still not sure. I have a Holeshot 4 into 2 system on my Vmax which provides ample space for just about anything.

Morley, Very impressive photos on FB! And not just the design and execution, but the finishing work too. Really nice. Does the box-section bracing add a lot of weight?

In some online searching I came across this site of an amateur, but seemingly well researched, chassis builder with a racing interest:

http://www.eurospares.com/frame6.htm

Seems to advocate some very thin wall metal. I wonder... the stock vmax swingarm is thin, but apparently too thin.

Any opinions on the real-world results of your braced arms? Notice a difference at all? Has anyone experienced any down-sides like stress cracks in the main frame?

I noticed an improvement instantly, BUT!!! I can't say what did what. I added the frame braces about the same time I installed the braced swing arm. I noticed, the bike stayed more true and the hinging, going through corners, was non existent. I was feeling tire and road feedback (you'll know when the back tire is getting low :)) and not chassis flex. It wont turn your max into a sport bike, but it will definitely make it more predictable. I later added solid motor mounts, but couldn't feel any improvements just more vibrations felt through the handlebars. I later went back to the stock motor mounts and gave away the solids. Looking around the chassis while cleanings, there doesn't seem to be any issues.

after reading into this - http://www.eurospares.com/frame6.htm - my head started hurting. I understand you want a brace on your swing arm and your main question seams to be weight over how strong it is. Well I would not know as far as the V-max goes but a brace would stop a twisting effect from high out put engines. So how much do we need to brace is a question. The answer should be how much power you got? If you bike is close to stock then no bracing should be really needed. The people that designed the bikes at the factory have tools and computer models that we do not. They know the amount of force on any given item on the bike. I am sure because the factory does not want muti million lawsuits on their hands from faulty design or poor performing parts. Now if the MOD monkey has taken over and you are running muti NOS with turbo blown jet engines, you might need to brace it, but take pic's we all to see.

PD, power had nothing to do with it. The stock vmax swingarm flexes when you get on it through the twisties. You ever go through a nice long sweeper and keep the throttle open trying to push the envelope and feel the bike wiggling under you like a dog wagging its tail? Bracing the swingarm and solid mounts (or frame braces) help eliminate that feeling.

Its not a necessity to do these mods but it will help.

bracing the swingarm is a very inexpensive handling upgrade. i did mine with the radials so i can't comment on how one felt with the other. it handles amazing though.

my brother recently did his own bracing and copied the style of the first few you posted.

Yes, I am sure that brace would help the swing arm with wiggles while under great forces. The max does have a lot of power and twisting gas while going through a long sweeper would add to the wiggles, if not braced. Changing to radial tires, adding a swing arm brace and engine braces would greatly improve the handling of the bike and would take the wiggles away. I do think that a lesser powered set up, it would not have the same problems. The power does play a part in how the bike handle, and if you add to output of this motor, it would create more force which in turn would make the wiggle effect worst if not braced. But amount of bracing is the question.

bracing the swingarm is a very inexpensive handling upgrade. i did mine with the radials so i can't comment on how one felt with the other. it handles amazing though.

my brother recently did his own bracing and copied the style of the first few you posted.
I'm getting radials and a braced swingarm this season, already having Progressive springs, intiminators, 10 wt oil and solid motor mounts I hope Redbone handles amazing as well.
*Edit: I also have Progessive HD440 shocks (Due to Mod Monkey's Bitch's great find! :biglaugh: Thanks G!)

Last edited:

Our brace is thicker walled (we debated thin but the reduction in flex isn't as great). It also does add a good amount of weight. But, as noted the weight is down low. We could use chrome moly but the cost is also a lot more.

The stock arm is super flimsy. Also, keep in mind that the technology was 25+ years old and no bike was braced. Not 25 years later almost all the bikes are braced. It's an improvement that we simply bring to the old chassis.

Sean

Also, keep in mind that the technology was 25+ years old and no bike was braced. Not 25 years later almost all the bikes are braced.

Cheers to that. In it's day, I think it was a darn good design, all around. But chassis improvements are arguably THE most significant improvement in motorcycle design since that time. The question for us is how best to go about improving that aspect of the Vmax. I have a dyno sheet showing 124hp.. I'm simply not interested in more hp. I want to USE what I have, and for the riding I do, that's through chassis improvement.
It seems to me, that just as the driveshaft is designed as a potential weak-link should someone be thrashing on their bike, I wonder if the swingarm was intended to flex (to a certain degree) to absorb some road forces not to be transmitted to the rest of the frame? I'm plan to brace my swingarm (the previous owner of my bike gave me a spare one to mess with!), but I'm wondering "how stiff is too stiff"? If at all. Also, as unsprung mass, I want to keep the weight to a minimum. Weight in suspension, and moreso in wheels, is not a good place to have weight (if there's a choice).
Read this for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

On my bike, I have solid, HEAVY, RC / UFO wheels that defintely put a ton of stress on the swingarm and forks. I'm leaning towards 1.25 OD tubing or so, and thinner wall. From what I've read, the larger OD is stronger. Just eye-balling my spare swingarm, it looks like the cross brace is about 1.25in, and the thinner arm is 1.5. Any idea on wall thickness?

Sean, want to trade a set of your Carrxxxx (no idea how to spell it!) wheels for some billet solid ones :drool:

I'm getting radials and a braced swingarm this season, already having Progressive springs, intiminators, 10 wt oil and solid motor mounts I hope Redbone handles amazing as well.

do i hear red cazz's in your future?

You are welcome to send pics of the wheels and how much you want to sell them for. I'll post them up on my Facebook site. We just came up with another set of wheels we are going to sell as well since this local friend is going to use the Cazz wheels too.

Sean

I looked at the red and thought it would be too much, going with the silver. I think the red costs more too.

i could see it going either way (in my head) but i'd have to see it in person obviuosly. red pinstripe mmight look good eh?

I have modified my S.A. based on this drawing:

picture.php

I made a slight variation on the long side of the arm which can be seen below.

picture.php

It's difficult to asses what difference it makes on its own due to the various other modifications I've done.

Overall the bike is far more capable of going around comers than I am so no complaints from me.

I did mine with mild steel cut up from a 55 gallon "drum dolly"

I pretty much just copied mine from what I was able to find pictures of like the ones you posted.

Here's a link to my project.....If I had to do it over again it would be a litlle prettier second time around but mechanically it's plenty sound and did make a huge difference in eliminating the "wallow" in the not so smooth corners.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4341

I just looked through all of Klokers posts and didn't see his modded swingarm. I faintly remember that he had posted some picture. He also posted some sweet pictures of his stretched Fazer(see below), but really would like to see his Vmax if anyone has pics.

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 124
  • lulu.jpg
    lulu.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 121
  • lulu3.jpg
    lulu3.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 124
Back