Swingarm for a 190 Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew85

Reaction score
Can the stock swingarm be modified enough to clear a 190 tire (with the wheel still centered)? Wheres the best place to have the work done?

If the stock swingarm wont work is there an aftermarket one I could order? I dont want to spend $450 on the one from Blueridge Mountain Sportmax, I got the bike from this guy and it was kind of a bad deal.

Holeshot (dale walker), Sportmax, UFO, Boxxenstopp, PCW and Cycle One Off are the only places I know of doing this work. I think COO sells them raw/unfinished for $375, it says braced but I don't know if it is notched or not.

I don't know the measurement it can be notched without interfering with the driveshaft but I have seen 200 tires mounted on notched swingarms without offsetting the wheel.

Hope this helps.

If I ever decide to notch mine I believe I'll just find a welding/machine shop to do it for me and paint it myself; probably a LOT cheaper but it's a moot point right now cause I need wheels first.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

Ive got a welder and some time, Ill try to do it myself unless someone will do it for under $200. I just took the swingarm off to brace and paint it. If it gets screwed up too bad then Ill look into buying one thats already done.

Ive got a welder and some time, Ill try to do it myself unless someone will do it for under $200. I just took the swingarm off to brace and paint it. If it gets screwed up too bad then Ill look into buying one thats already done.

I braced and widened mine on Tuesday. Have to prep it for paint this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. I think a 190 will work in there fine.

I've been curious about this? How much can the swingarm be nothced and still aloow removal/replacement of the driveshaft since I assume the ends of the driveshaft are bigger than the middle (which I could be wrong about)

Rusty

I've been curious about this? How much can the swingarm be nothced and still aloow removal/replacement of the driveshaft since I assume the ends of the driveshaft are bigger than the middle (which I could be wrong about)

Rusty

I widened mine quite a bit and it still clears the shaft with approx 1/2" lateral play. That is not an issue though as the drivesahft does not move laterally, only vertically.

I braced and widened mine on Tuesday. Have to prep it for paint this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. I think a 190 will work in there fine.

Do you have any pictures of where you notched it? What size of pipe did you use to brace the swingarm? Im welding up my own frame braces too, my frame already has the tabs welded on for sportmax braces so it should be easy.

Do you have any pictures of where you notched it? What size of pipe did you use to brace the swingarm? Im welding up my own frame braces too, my frame already has the tabs welded on for sportmax braces so it should be easy.

Not yet. Should have some on Saturday after it is cleaned up and painted.

Can the stock swingarm be modified enough to clear a 190 tire (with the wheel still centered)? Wheres the best place to have the work done?

If the stock swingarm wont work is there an aftermarket one I could order? I dont want to spend $450 on the one from Blueridge Mountain Sportmax, I got the bike from this guy and it was kind of a bad deal.

Hi Drew. I'm new to the forum. I have a Metzler 190/50 ZR 17 fitted to a UFO Maxdaddy 17" rear rim. Clears the left hand side of the standard un-notched swingarm by a couple of millimetres with tyre still centred. So long as you maintain the correct tyre pressure there does not seem to be any problem, with, or without, a pillion on board. Handles great and sticks like glue.

Hi Drew. I'm new to the forum. I have a Metzler 190/50 ZR 17 fitted to a UFO Maxdaddy 17" rear rim. Clears the left hand side of the standard un-notched swingarm by a couple of millimetres with tyre still centred. So long as you maintain the correct tyre pressure there does not seem to be any problem, with, or without, a pillion on board. Handles great and sticks like glue.
I ended up painting the swingarm and putting the stock rim and tire back on. The 17 I got off ebay is offset too far. The offset is in the rim and I dont think theres an easy way to correct that. Its going back on ebay unless anyone knows a way I could get it centered. That dunlop 208 tire feels like Im riding on ice, spins everywhere, the stock tire grips alot better.

I ended up painting the swingarm and putting the stock rim and tire back on. The 17 I got off ebay is offset too far. The offset is in the rim and I dont think theres an easy way to correct that. Its going back on ebay unless anyone knows a way I could get it centered. That dunlop 208 tire feels like Im riding on ice, spins everywhere, the stock tire grips alot better.

thanks for the info, i was thinking about buying the same wheel this week. i guess i will look elsewhere.:confused2:

I decided to keep it. Im going to take it apart and see if the drive side can maybe be milled down to get the wheel centered. It looks like a gsxr wheel and Im putting an 02 gsxr1000 front end on, the rims should match up then.

----" Hi Drew. I'm new to the forum. I have a Metzler 190/50 ZR 17 fitted to a UFO Maxdaddy 17" rear rim. Clears the left hand side of the standard un-notched swingarm by a couple of millimetres with tyre still centred. So long as you maintain the correct tyre pressure there does not seem to be any problem, with, or without, a pillion on board. Handles great and sticks like glue."---

Gleno,
I bought my bike with the UFO 17" rear max dadddy rim. Do those only come in one size? I am trying to figure out if mines a 5.5" or 6". Right now I have 170/55/r17 tyre on it. I havent looked close but i thought it was close to the swingarm i will have to check it out tonight.

Back