Sylvania Silverstar Ultra

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
So my second bulb just burned out. I've had two and they both lasted only about a year running them in the V-Max. They do put out nice bright light, but they are not worth the extra money due to poor longevity. Going back to the regular style bulb which I had installed for three years before going with the Ultra's.

I would not recommend these for a motorcycle application.

i'd politely disagree with you heretic. they burn out quick, esp running on high beam. but for i'd gladly pay that price to keep myself safe.

$30 every 7k miles isn't too bad in my book

They make a new bulb called ZXE, also made by Sylvania.

They are twice as bright as the Ultra and have a white color so they look like HID and shine a LOT of light.

Try them out. You will be happy. Especially since it will be getting darker earlier.

Pia makes a bulb designed for motorcycles that works great in the stock Vmax headlight. Very bright white light, but they put something on the bulb that makes it look orange at a long distance during the day. Ran one on Toxic for a while before I changed headlights. Was quite nice for night riding!

They make a new bulb called ZXE, also made by Sylvania.

They are twice as bright as the Ultra and have a white color so they look like HID and shine a LOT of light.

Try them out. You will be happy. Especially since it will be getting darker earlier.

those look really nice, i'd like to try them

any idea where i can find 'em locally?

Wow, thats quite a pricetag for a bulb.
You can go HID for $42 at ddmtuners.com http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I couldn't be happier with mine. I went with them for my dual headlight set-up. I had room for both the slim ballasts. So I figure the H/L setup for a single headlight would be an even easier install :punk:

Here it is before the install after I redone the wiring harness for the twin lights and installed the bulbs in the Hella lights (did have to enlarge the holes in the back for the connectors, but a couple of grommets cleaned everything up nicely).

p1030459d.jpg

Before

p1030455a.jpg

After
p1030462ip.jpg

I had to take the picture from an angle to keep from getting everything washed out.

p1030464g.jpg

That's awesome KJ. Not sure how I feel about blue light, but I know that ddm sells the same with a 5000k or 6000k white light.

I'm pretty sure the $42 includes 2 bulbs. The ZXE were $49 for 2 bulbs.

Also ddm charges $20 for shipping :(

That's awesome KJ. Not sure how I feel about blue light, but I know that ddm sells the same with a 5000k or 6000k white light.

I'm pretty sure the $42 includes 2 bulbs. The ZXE were $49 for 2 bulbs.

Also ddm charges $20 for shipping :(

My setup is the 6000k light. The majority of people I've seen talking about an upgrade use the words "just like HID", why not get the HID for a few $ more (with shipping). not to mention giving the Vmax a break on the voltage.

I've now upgraded my bike, the Hawkmobile (headlights and driving lights), and my Dodge, to HID for all under $200.
For a place that is in darkness for 6 months out of the year, Thats a pretty good deal :clapping:

So my second bulb just burned out. I've had two and they both lasted only about a year running them in the V-Max. They do put out nice bright light, but they are not worth the extra money due to poor longevity. Going back to the regular style bulb which I had installed for three years before going with the Ultra's.

I would not recommend these for a motorcycle application.

i got the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb for my max and no problems so far. This was the FIRST change I made when I got may bike new in 2004. Its been years now and no problems with the bulb burning out.

Latest posts

Back