Tach not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax-21

Reaction score
I have an 86 original owner VMAX, and recently my tach quit working. All other gauges and lights work as they should. Is there a fuse or specific connection I should look at, or should I just look to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Have you a power feed from the brown wire, continuity on the grey wire from the ignition unit and a good earth?

so I took a chance and bought a used gauge cluster on the forum, cleaned it up real good, cleaned the connections, and it worked. so not sure if it was just the connections that needed to be cleaned or if my tach is bad. When I get some time I may try to swap it back, just to see.

One of the diagnostic procedures that my employer at the time specified was to make and break a connection several times before condemning a component.
This was often all that was needed to get it running again as the self cleaning action of the contacts was all that was required.

I agree, but couldn't pass on the used parts deal a member had listed, so gave it a try. I did try unplugging my original a couple times and also tapping on the tach itself to see if it was stuck, but it wouldn't work. I did clean the connections much better this time, so am thinking that might have been the issue.

Latest posts

Back