Tail tidy/fender delete

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
What brand does everybody use?? I'd like to keep my stock turn signals if at all possible. Would like something that directly bolts up, but I can modify/fabricate if it's a must to make it look like it belongs. Be 2 years of owner ship this April, time to start modding.
And I would like to paint all of the visible screws, what paint is best?? Powder coating? I have to decide what color I want though, to go with the matte finish on my 18. I'm stuck between either lime/florescent green or plum crazy...... Or both. If I go with plum crazy the duplicolor engine paint with ceramic holds up very well, and looks great. Post up pics. If y'all can of your rear end :p:pVmax rear end, please!!

So I found integrated tail lights, will it give me the "hyper flash" if I used it in conjunction with the tail tidy??

If you are conserned about the "hyper flash" just change the flasher relay. The one I have is the Custom-LED flasher relay. Here is the link
https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay
It is a simple plug and play. Your flasher relay is located under the right side cover. The thing I like about this flasher relay is that it will work on LED and NON LED bulbs. I had LED and decided to go back to stock. This flasher relay works on both so no need to change. For $19.98 you can not beet it. Have mine for several year - no problems.

A lot of owners use these: https://www.nomartirechanger.com/V_...ail_License_Plate_Bracket_p/bike-vmax-bkt.htm

Unfortunately it shows they are not in stock right now. There are one or two others available on eBay...... the nomar is supposed to be pretty sturdy. There were some cheaply made ones on the market early on that failed and got caught between the tire and the inner fender well pretty ugly aftermath.

Thanks Allen that sounds like a very good deal, no messing with resistors. I found a smoked taillight that would look killer on my 18. Maybe the hyper flash would be a good thing, should grab people's attention behind me if I go that route.
Thanks for the link Itgoes, I found some on eBay at half that price, but you usually get what you pay for I don't want anything that could potentially get Tangled up with the tire, on my 2nd rear tire due to a blow out, inner and outer carcass separated and blew out from sidewall to sidewall, luckily I was on a straight section of a fairly curvy road, and only traveling at about 45mph. Anyways, those are about double the price from eBay, but like I said you usually get what you pay for. Hopefully they get them in soonish.

Last edited:
If you notice the NoMar has 4 mounting holes as opposed to just 2 for the ones I see on eBay. That is one of the design features that makes it more reliable.

If you ride 2 up or are a husky fella I would use caution with any aftermarket part in that location though. Install and then check the clearances under load.

This one is really nice....it has built in LED's and looks like it will accept the stock turn signals.

BUT this listing is not for the VMax, maybe they have one though.

I hate posting something that is no use to you......but I think it is a good example of what would work well if it's available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Tidy-Kit-Fender-Eliminator-License-PlateFor-Yamaha-MT-09-FZ-09-2014-2016/183942149956?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=60037&meid=48d3265d26634237b38cb5a57265da0b&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=sb&sd=113637912245&itm=183942149956&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This one is really nice....it has built in LED's and looks like it will accept the stock turn signals.

BUT this listing is not for the VMax, maybe they have one though.

I hate posting something that is no use to you......but I think it is a good example of what would work well if it's available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Tidy-Kit-Fender-Eliminator-License-PlateFor-Yamaha-MT-09-FZ-09-2014-2016/183942149956?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=60037&meid=48d3265d26634237b38cb5a57265da0b&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=sb&sd=113637912245&itm=183942149956&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This one looks really nice, very well built and sturdy by the looks. I'd feel better with 4 mounting screws holding it, rather than just 2. I'll pay a little extra for the 2 extra holes. I found 1 on that link that looks like it might work, it appears to adjustable so it might go wide enough to mount up under the fender of the max, might have to tweak it just a little. I'd go a step farther though and spot weld all the adjustments after I got it mounted and adjusted. Ahh hell I can't find it now, bahaha it was on that link you posted, but it was at the bottom with all the other similar items. I'll keep an eye on nomar for a week or two.

Careful with the Corbin one. It can not handle the original tail lights Mine broke on both sides. I replaced with flush mounted and I love them. After Corbin sent me a replacement.

Attachments

• 20181002_195024.jpg
    20181002_195024.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 64
20191015_112917.jpg 20191015_112017.jpg 20191015_111944.jpg I went through the same thing. Talked to a big wig and had them double the thickness of the plastic. Now it's as strong as a fairing. I dig it because it continues the curve of the fender and they color match.

That Corbin don't look too awful I guess. But damn is that an expensive piece of plastic........ Especially just for cosmetic purposes. Hmmmmmm, lol not sure how to explain that to the wife. Not sure I want to spend that much, but I won't spend $20 for the eBay either, dang not much out there it seems, but I'm not surprised. Anybody ever make their own?? The universal ones seem to have 20 brackets, and 10 screws that could potentially vibrate loose lol. Wish that Corbin was about $100 cheaper.......I feel like your paying for the name.

I like that 1, might be putting in an order. Seems simple, 4 mounting holes, price is reasonable.

That Corbin don't look too awful I guess. But damn is that an expensive piece of plastic........ Especially just for cosmetic purposes. Hmmmmmm, lol not sure how to explain that to the wife. Not sure I want to spend that much, but I won't spend $20 for the eBay either, dang not much out there it seems, but I'm not surprised. Anybody ever make their own?? The universal ones seem to have 20 brackets, and 10 screws that could potentially vibrate loose lol. Wish that Corbin was about $100 cheaper.......I feel like your paying for the name.
I remember looking for accessories early on and how pissed I was when I found out not much is made for this bike. Good and bad of a low production bike. I went through the same thing on the ZX11s. Took me a bit to pull the trigger on a $200+ non-performance bracket. Was good with it when it showed up. And by then I recovered from blowing that much money on a STATIC DISPLAY.. You are definitely paying for the name BUT being the only one designed and fitted specifically for our bikes (which is something Corbin has always done well) we are screwed.... Universal at a reasonable price or custom for 3 times more.

Here is a pic of mine on and off the bike. They are 50 usd and come with the turn signals and tag light. It really is plug and play. I'm on my phone and so having a hard time posting a link. I can post one later.

Attachments

• 20191016_105717.jpg
    20191016_105717.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20191016_105732.jpg
    20191016_105732.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 77
They all look nice, they really do lol. I had a 97 first gen, and there's not much out there for those either, but I think they had more accessories if you looked hard enough, I'm sure it's the same with gen 2. It's just knowing "where" to look. I'm really liking that smoked integrated tail light, I'm hoping that is plug and play, but I have a big doubt, and I really don't want to hack the wiring on my 18. I've never installed an integrated tail light, I'm sure I'll have to splice the turn signals. And I'll probably get the flasher for LED lights so I don't get the hyper flash (thanks Allen). But I do want to get rid of that ugly tag holder. Anybody have any clearance issues after installing the tail tidy?? I have the stock 200 series tire, no lowering kit. Fairly stiff suspension setup. Bought it April of 18 and have had 0 passengers, lol. Not allot of 2 up riding, wife has her own bike.

They all look nice, they really do lol. I had a 97 first gen, and there's not much out there for those either, but I think they had more accessories if you looked hard enough, I'm sure it's the same with gen 2. It's just knowing "where" to look. I'm really liking that smoked integrated tail light, I'm hoping that is plug and play, but I have a big doubt, and I really don't want to hack the wiring on my 18. I've never installed an integrated tail light, I'm sure I'll have to splice the turn signals. And I'll probably get the flasher for LED lights so I don't get the hyper flash (thanks Allen). But I do want to get rid of that ugly tag holder. Anybody have any clearance issues after installing the tail tidy?? I have the stock 200 series tire, no lowering kit. Fairly stiff suspension setup. Bought it April of 18 and have had 0 passengers, lol. Not allot of 2 up riding, wife has her own bike.

I Know one the one that I posted there are no issues with me and my GF on it.

I found that alot of yamaha parts from other yamaha bikes will fit my VMax. It's worth looking at other Yamaha bike mods to see what you can use.

Back