taking out the "y"???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imfixinmopars

Reaction score
i have a stock max,1995,w/4-2 holeshot ,and the jet kit from walker.what other simple mods w/ help the bike? is taking out the y helpful? is this the aircleaner top? how about the t-boost thing? thx

I tried removing the "Y" from my bike ( yes it's on the top of the airbox ) & it leaned me out way too much - caused a severe hesitation - so I put it back on. I also tried a homemade " T-Boost " - it worked as advertised, but it was too rich for my bike. You already have a complete exhaust system - I would contact Sean Morely ( top right of this web page ) & see what he could suggest as far as jetting your bike for maximum power. I'm relativley new here myself , but a lot of the posters on this site really know their Vmax's & can certainly lead you in the right direction.

i have a stock max,1995,w/4-2 holeshot ,and the jet kit from walker.what other simple mods w/ help the bike? is taking out the y helpful? is this the aircleaner top? how about the t-boost thing? thx

I am not familiar with walker jet kits
IF you remove the Y piece off your airbox you will have hesitation as SS said Once you have that problem you will have to play around with needles and spring pressures possible jets all depends if your on the lean side now to dial it in
Carb tuning is timely and can be aggrevating at times but if you have the patience and time along with the enjoyment of working on stuff than yeah you may see an avg of 2-3 HP more after hours of tuning
Plenty of expierence here to help check previous carb tuning posts

I know it is probably to late but I have the exact same set up as you. Dale Walker pipes,his stage one kit. I removed the "Y" in my air box and it all works great there is no hesitation at any speed. good luck
BTW I have never done the T-boost thing my bike runs great the way it is.

I have the same setup on my Vmax and removed the Y with no issues. It also makes a bit more intake noise which is nice.

Same set up here, Walker Pipes, Jets. No Y when LCR Performance tuned the Carbs when the pipes were installed. Runs Mint

I have my y taken out too. I have a stage 1 dynojet and a UFO 4-2 exhaust, and a K&N filter.. I have the 160 main jet in. I also have the slides not drillled and the dynojet springs in. I was geeting a bog at 5000rpm under wot. I moved the needle clip to the top position to aleviate this. I still feel like my light throttle opening are not right. I have tboost too, never helps. I am at 500 ft above sea level. I just want it to run right. :bang head:

I have my y taken out too. I have a stage 1 dynojet and a UFO 4-2 exhaust, and a K&N filter.. I have the 160 main jet in. I also have the slides not drillled and the dynojet springs in. I was geeting a bog at 5000rpm under wot. I moved the needle clip to the top position to aleviate this. I still feel like my light throttle opening are not right. I have tboost too, never helps. I am at 500 ft above sea level. I just want it to run right. :bang head:

155 mikunis are probably about right with your setup. I can't remember what DJ and mikunis are in relation but I know they aren't the same.

Your DJ160's are fine.

What was your needle set at before? By top position do you mean closest to the blunt end (leanest)? If you needle is too low you lose some of the fuel that goes past the needle. That little bit helps at idle and off-idle.

Are your carbs in sync? Do you have stock pilot air jetting? What are you mixture screws set at? It's possible your bypass holes are a bit plugged and/or purge jets. When's the last time you ran some Seafoam in your tank?

I had removed the "Y" on my stock Max and lost some low end punch. Sooooo, I raised the "Y" about 3/8" and opened up the top of the K&N filter to the largest it could be opened. With the mixtrue screws at 2 turns ( Im at 5'000 ft. ) It runs great.
Lew

Your DJ160's are fine.

What was your needle set at before? By top position do you mean closest to the blunt end (leanest)? If you needle is too low you lose some of the fuel that goes past the needle. That little bit helps at idle and off-idle.

Are your carbs in sync? Do you have stock pilot air jetting? What are you mixture screws set at? It's possible your bypass holes are a bit plugged and/or purge jets. When's the last time you ran some Seafoam in your tank?
My needle was 2 notches from the bottom(richest setting) I do have the stock pilot air jetting. My mixture screws are 2 1/2 turns out. I just cleaned the bypass holes and purge jets,(I had a bunch of problem with those, had to take the float bowls off to clean them out.) I have a sync tool and the carbs are synced per the service manual. I have never used seafoam(what is it and where do I get it? I am running dynojet springs.

I changed my pilot air jets to 150's, I also changed my springs to stock, the bike runs great except at very very light throttle openings, it runs lean. What is the best way to fix this???

I changed my pilot air jets to 150's, I also changed my springs to stock, the bike runs great except at very very light throttle openings, it runs lean. What is the best way to fix this???

How did you determine you're running lean? Does it act funny at all rpms? What are you mixture screws set at?

The idle air screws are 3 turns out, I know it's lean because you can tell by sound. It sounds like a pla pla pla, as oposed to the rythmic sound under all other throttle conditions. I have a ufo 4-2 exhaust. 1/4 throttle and it all goes away. THe light throttle lean condition occurs more pronounced a higher rpm under light throttle, ie 4500-5000. Should I maybe move the clip down on the nedle to righen it up? With the dynojet springs the bike ran like crap:(. My slides are not drilled. I have a set of drilled ones though, but also made the bike run like crap in the low throttle 1/8 or less range. Presently runs good under all other throttle openings, and I can floor it at 1500rpm and no bogging, pulls right up to 10,000 rpm no prob. It's most agravating when I am in traffic.

I have never determine leanness by sound. I try to look at the plugs to see how it's running. 1/8 throttle is your pilot circuit. Slides don't start to open until 4500 rpms or so. What are you needles set at again? I'm also wondering about the 150's in PAJ2.

I have dynojet stage 1 needles with the clip at the top, leanest setting. I'll check my plugs tonight, but I probably don't run in the 1/8 throttle range that often. With the stock pilot air jets, the bike ran very crappy with the Y out, would need to put the choke enrihment on to rev up. Otherwise hit the gas and die. At 4500rpms under 1/8 throttle I get misfire(lean) I believe. IF I turn on the t-boost at 3k rpm's this is eliminated, but it will bog. I have found t-boost to be useless, so I leave it stock. Ever since I changed my exhaust I always had this trouble light throttle leaning(at least I think so) definately misfire, and the light throttle 4500rpm misfire, if I rev a gear up real slow. So it sounds like my pilot air circuit is wrong somewhere. THanks for all of the input thus far.

Okay I moved the needle clip down 2 positions to richen it up from the leanest setting. All of my lowend problem went away, also no bogging at 5000rpm flooring it in 5th on the highway. So for my bike with a UFO 4-2 exhaust I have the following.
1.) Y removed from the airbox
2.) DJ160's for the main jets
3.) PAJ2 DJ150's
4.) Stock springs
5.) Stock slides(NO DRILLING)
6.) Stage one nedles with the clip in the 3rd position from the TOP
7.) Idle air mixture screws 2 3/4 turns out
This is what works for my bike, runs smooth everywhere, and look to be getting my usual 100 miles till the low fuel light. I have Tboost, Worthless, only helpful for long cruises(not having to hit the throttle as hard to hold highway speeds, and it helps richen it up if a carb gets clogged. I see NO performance gain. Thanks for all of the help.

Latest posts

Back