Taking Speedo apart .

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
The other day the tripmeter knob broke off in my hand but everything still works . I want to take my speedo apart tp see if i can fix it .
Is it easy to get in to and has anyone had theirs apart ? :ummm:

I know the back is all sealed. If you wanted to get into it you would have to cut into it. It is a hard plastic.

Yes you can get into it. it is a pain in the ass, not an easy task, but possible. You do NOT have to cut anything. I just did this to insall an SPA tach.

take off the chrome cup and you will see how the aluminum bezel is wrapped/folded around the white plastic cup that encases the speedo. i used a small screw driver and a very small prybar to unfold the bezel. when i closed it back up i used a couple different diameter punches to push the fold back into place.

i dont know if you can fix the tripmeter knob.

pesonally i would just leave it, too much risk in damaging you speedo or the bezel, just to have a working trip knob.

the bezel may not fold back into place nicely and you will have exposed creases when done, ive seen it on my friends bike

Yes you can get into it. it is a pain in the ass, not an easy task, but possible. You do NOT have to cut anything. I just did this to insall an SPA tach.

take off the chrome cup and you will see how the aluminum bezel is wrapped/folded around the white plastic cup that encases the speedo. i used a small screw driver and a very small prybar to unfold the bezel. when i closed it back up i used a couple different diameter punches to push the fold back into place.

i dont know if you can fix the tripmeter knob.

pesonally i would just leave it, too much risk in damaging you speedo or the bezel, just to have a working trip knob.

the bezel may not fold back into place nicely and you will have exposed creases when done, ive seen it on my friends bike

Thats what i was worried about .
How did the SPA look , have you got any pics of it as was on their site last night .
They have some interesting stuff .

that site doesnt do any justice for the tach. their pics of the tach is very poor quality. i will havepics postedthis weekend.

Watch this. in this video the backlight is blue, you can switch it to pink. also you can set the needle to change color at any rpm you set it at. the needle is programmable in three colors blue, pink then red. there are three shift lights, each one can be set to thier own rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-9rAbr1vk

Yes it fits. you do have to cut away some material from the sub-cup/the white plastic cup. it is very easy. the toughest part is getting the bezel off of the sub-cup. it is just a pain in the ass, nothing technical. just got to pry it off with out damaging it.

Ive just been out to have a play with it the tripmeter knob does want to turn the numbers and it did work for a sec (got it moving) like i said everything does move just the knob broke off . Im thinking the broken bit is still in there .:punk:

Well i decided im going in . Took off screen/crown cover and indicators together took off the light pulled off the speedo took off the back went in , on closer look it seemed all clear and what looks like the knob screws in but as knob is broken at the end it wont screw in .

Does anyone have a good spare 1 ?

when you say a good one,

do you mean just a knob, i will chck to seif i still have mine.

i had two speedos, one had a broken knob i cant remember about the other, let me check it out. if i have the other knob you an have it

when you say a good one,

do you mean just a knob, i will chck to seif i still have mine.

i had two speedos, one had a broken knob i cant remember about the other, let me check it out. if i have the other knob you an have it

Yip , the knob . From what i can see it screws on to fit in but mine has a bit broken off it . Everything else works so just need the knob . I will pay postage if you can find it . :clapping:

Alternatively grind off along the edge to remove the folded over part.

Would need glue or screws to keep it in place. If it's made from steel, the edge will rust so would need painting.

Time-saver:
It takes him four minutes to say, "use a small-bladed screwdriver to pry-up the crimped-over edge of the bezel band," and another nearly eight minutes to do it, at which point the glass/bezel separate from the plastic body. He does mention, "only pry-up the crimped-over part, don't try to bend the entire wide side-band of the bezel, away from the white plastic housing."

Inside work:

Last edited:
Alternatively grind off along the edge to remove the folded over part.

Would need glue or screws to keep it in place. If it's made from steel, the edge will rust so would need painting.
THANKYOU I THINK I WILL JUST GET A NEW SPEEDO MINE WORKS FINE ITS ONLY FOR AESTHETICS . THANKYOU JP

Latest posts

Back