taking vmax on unpaved roads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Builder

Reaction score
Ok ok I know its not an excellent idea.

Im going to Newfoundland from Toronto. I will have to pass about 1200km of well maintained gravel/dirt roads.

I recently installed Metzeler ME880 rear and Lasertec front.

I'm looking for the best tire that I can have on those dirt roads. I have stock rims.

Any advice?

I've been on hard packed gravel and dirt roads with street bikes with street tires and have had no problems. As long as it is not soft sand, you should have no problem with your stock tires.

I live on a gravel road and travel it daily. I've had Bridgestones, Metzlers and Shinko street tires and don't really see any difference in any of them. They all perform equally well on the dirt.

Just avoid the loose stuff if you can, no sudden turns or burn outs (of course) you'll be fine.

You might consider some sort of front fender extension (Exactrep sells them) or something similar to protect from stone chips.

Sounds like a fun ride....good luck!!

danny

Agreed, stock tires (I like the Metzlers) work just fine on dirt/gravel roads. I too have to drive them on a regular basis.

Sean

Going is the easy part just be careful when you come to a stop. The loose crap will allow the front to lockup super easy.

I had to travel up and down a couple of rather large hills on a shingle road which had been graded the week before , lots of loose deep gravel . The Max didnt like any of it . Was real slow going . :bang head:

Im going to Newfoundland from Toronto. I will have to pass about 1200km of well maintained gravel/dirt roads.

?

Well I am not sure where you are going to find 1200km of dirt rd in NFLD unless you are talking about Labrador.
Here on the island 95% of the main roads are paved. You will have no problems with your V-Max with regular tires on it. On the Eastern section of the Island [Avalon] you have to go off the beaten track to find a dirt rd.
It`s not the roads you should worry about it is the weather. It can and does change VERY QUICKLY.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Back