Talked to a guy who was riding a Victory bike...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
And because he had this really nice, expensive bike, I started asking him questions. You know, it's a big fancy V-Twin, so I had to.

I say "nice bike. How big is the engine?" He says "100 cubic inch, or 1600." I said "cool, bet it has a lot of torque and getup." He says "yeah, it does."

I say, "so have you ever owned a Harley?"

He said, "Yeah, I had 3 of 'em. Always breaking down. This Victory hasn't had a single problem (and he had like 50k miles on it already). Tried to buy the last Harley but it was worth $17k and the guy wanted $25k for it, so I said &%#%# you and bought the Victory for $17k. Haven't broken down once."

I said, "I'm not a Harley fan. I ride a Yamaha V-Max."

He says, "Oh... my brother-in-law has one. Loves it."

Interesting conversation.

Have a friend who had a Victory. Everybody called it a Hardley. It was broken down all the time. He has a Harley now and no more break downs. I think it's luck of the draw. I have a Hot 1200 Sportster, Hot to the Harley World. I don't worry about it starting and running. It really surprises a lot of Big Twin and Victory riders.

My VMax demands as much attention as an Exotic Sports Car to keep it in top running condition. I wouldn't trade it for a Harley and a Hardley though. Closest thing to flying a Jet Fighter with After Burners I've found.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: I would love to have another....

My ex-brother in law has a Vegas Jackpot, told me last weekend he gets lots of compliments from the Harley guys....I said, "I rarely even get a wave, I don't think they like us V Max riders much."

"That's cause you always beat them," he said!! :biglaugh:

When someone tells me they ride a Victory, I tell them "Oh, I'm sorry".

Victory bikes are built by Polaris, and Polaris blows donkey dong. Every poolaris I've had the misfortune of having to deal with has lifted the bar for what defines a piece of shit. Used to have an old Indy sled. Couldn't keep the damn thing running, despite constant maintenance. I would go riding and seriously hope it didn't break down on me, that I could finish the day's ride this time. Everything imaginable broke, from the suspension, to the driveshaft, to the chaincase, to every single damn bearing that went bad. Even when the motor was running, it was slow for it's displacement and was impossible to "dial in" and run right.

Our University's snowmobile engineering team seems stuck on using Polaris sleds. We have two IQ 750 turbo's. Both of them blew up, both with less than 1000 miles on them. One of them did one pull on the water brake dyno and that's all she wrote. The other one just crapped out on the side of the trail. For a turbocharged, FI 750, they put down a measly 130hp on the dyno (Polaris claimed 150). My carbureted, n/a Yamaha 1000 motor puts down 140. Even when they were running fine, they handle like shit, the turbo seems to be endlessly lagging, and are amazingly slow. On a frozen river we got one to just touch 100, giving it probably two miles to wind up. My Warrior does 115, will (and has) cruised at 100 all day, and gets to that speed a LOT quicker. Again, when the engine isn't giving you problems, something else is. More bearings dying...polaris can't seem to figure that one out, since everybody I know who rides a pol has also replaced every bearing in the thing. And don't even think about taking the chaincase apart....it is literally impossible to re-assemble without flipping the sled on it's side. We had to put the cover on the mill and machine in grooves to "guide" the four axles for the retarded push-button reverse mechanism into place and you put the cover back on.

I could go on ALL day about both first and secondhand polaris headaches. Everyone I know who (for whatever reason) likes Polaris is constantly having to fiddle with it. More than once a ride has gotten f'ed over because somebody's ride shit the bed, and 100% of the time that ride has been a polaris.

I will never, ever, even consider buying anything made by Polaris. Reviews of Victory bikes always pan them for horrid transmissions...no surprise there. Transmissions in Polaris quads are famous for randomly taking a dump, and the chaincases in their sleds like to suddenly break without warning also, usually when going WOT up a hill, resulting in the rider being pitched over the handlebars. Something about making gears spin and change in sync gives them a lot of difficulty.

I couldn't help myself..
And because he had this really nice, expensive bike, I started asking him questions. You know, it's a big fancy V-Twin, so I had to.

I say "nice bike. How big is the engine?" He says "100 cubic inch, or 1600." I said "cool, bet it has a lot of torque and getup." He says "yeah, it does."

I say, "so you ever blown another guy?"

He said, "Yeah, I had 3 of 'em. Messy stuff. Back to the bike. This Victory hasn't had a single problem (and he had like 50k miles on it already). Tried to buy the last Harley but it was worth $17k and the guy wanted $25k for it, so I said &%#%# you and bought the Victory for $17k. Haven't broken down once."

I said, "I'm not gay. I ride a Yamaha V-Max."

He says, "Oh... well. my brother-in-law has one. Loves it."

Interesting conversation.
:rofl_200:

More interesting conversation.

I ride with a guy that has a Victory 8 Ball, rode it once, pretty nice bike, not my style though. We ride to work everyday for the past 6 months or so. He has had no problems to speak of and currently has about 28000 miles on it. He takes it to the track occasionally, best I saw was a 12.97 at 104, but time for clutches.... (original stock) best he said he has run was 11.85 ish I think.... No issue what so ever for any Max Gen I or II. Again nice bike just not my style.

I ride with a guy that has a Victory 8 Ball, rode it once, pretty nice bike, not my style though. We ride to work everyday for the past 6 months or so. He has had no problems to speak of and currently has about 28000 miles on it. He takes it to the track occasionally, best I saw was a 12.97 at 104, but time for clutches.... (original stock) best he said he has run was 11.85 ish I think.... No issue what so ever for any Max Gen I or II. Again nice bike just not my style.

Jeez, my 750 Magna did 12.21 @ 106.7. And that's less than half the displacement of the Victory. I guess it's true what they say "V-4's are fast, V-twins are half-fast."

Back