Tank Bags

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTwistedNomad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for some ideas for a new tank bag for my 04 Max, currently I have a suction cup style system but after about 30 minutes of riding the small suction cups let go and the only thing holding it on is a neck strap and good luck. Anyone with a tank bag that works well for the Max please let me know what you have. Thanks.

TwistedNomad

I have a magnetic Cortek one that works really well, I always wrap the neck strap too but its never moved a fraction of an inch... It's not real big but it does the job, also have the Cortek soft saddle bags and tail bag and its all good stuff for the money but admittedly I don't use the stuff real often...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Beekeeper (tom) has a high speed test proven bag also. Might be the same one scott has. Pm him and ask.

I also have a magnetic tank bag. If you get one---- keep the magnet area clean and only put on a clean surface( and keep it clean ) as it will pick up dirt.
Lew

Magnetic Joe Rocket Manta, best thing since sliced bread!

V65 with the Manta:
V65_Magna_slider.jpg

ZL900 with the Manta:
Eliminator1.jpg

VMAX with the Manta:
002-3.jpg

Tank bags are functional but usually too small to make much difference for me and I just don't carry a few items all that often. Plus, every one I used put fine scratches on my airbox cover.
I'd just rather strap onto my passenger seat using my shock top bungee mounts.
I do like the one Ninjaneer has on his bike.

The magnetic one I have holds unbelievably well. No question of ever coming off.
It's a stackable model, two bags actually that zip together. Smaller one on top.
For day use you just use the smaller one by itself.
Together its plenty to hold enough for a weekend trip. Or longer.

Since going with aftermarket (not steel) tank cover and expensive paint I don't use any tank bag. They will scratch or scuff the paint eventually no matter how careful you are.

V65 with the Manta:
ZL900 with the Manta:
VMAX with the Manta:
you've got some really nice looking bikes

I do like the one Ninjaneer has on his bike.
I purchased this one in March '12. Gears Canada I-Wire Tank Bag. a google for it seems to suggest that the bag is no longer under production or sale, though. i mount it "upside down" compared to the advertising pic.
GEARS_CANADA_IWIRE_TANK_BAG-900433375.jpg

my initial reaction:
the magnets are strong. the phone pouch and what could be a pouch for a portable nav gadget are perfectly placed. the plastic rain cover that comes with it resembles a shower cap and is fabricated with material that will surely harden and then crack in a year's time. the capacity is just a little smaller than i was hoping for--i can fit a somewhat thick, two-piece rain suit with just enough space left for a pair of jeans. the overall build is exceptional and the material is rugged. i did know that the "back pack straps" are simple adjustable nylon straps, but i guess i was hoping for something like slide-on pads. with all things considered, i still think it is money well spent compared to the more extravagantly priced competition bags. it suits my needs, which are an affordable tank bag that i can easily install and remove, carry on my back so that i don't have to hand carry, and store my rain suit and miscellaneous personal items.

one year later:
it's proven useful for my daily commute and around-town activities. however, for long excursions and overnighters, i would like something bigger. i am now also considering something bigger because i don't want to use a backpack to be able to tote my dobok when i go to the chae yook kwan after work. i have since lost the shower cap and backpack straps. i am also now fighting the zippers that pop out of alignment because of the the amount of crap that i'm stuffing in the bag. the bag or maybe the area around the magnets seems to have started rubbing into the tank finish.

5uje5ate.jpg

My setup all attached...

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 46
Joe Rocket Manta XL here too!!...........Yep........Been speed tested!........:biglaugh:........Tom.

Here's my setup for week long travel: JR Manta xl (extra magnetic "flaps" tucked into tankbag bottom sleeve) and my Gears Navigator tailbag. This picture was from 2008 and I had my bike cover straped onto the tank bag; now, if I do carry my cover, it goes into the tail bag.
Manitoulin Ride 004.jpg

I assume you have to remove the rear turn signals to mount the bags?

No actually I don't, the saddle bags cover the my regular signals so I got some amber license plate lights and tied them into the turn signals on each side of the plate. Not sure you can see them in the pic and not quite as bright as my regular signals but better than nothing and I have only used them a few times so didn't want to change my lights around a bunch for something I hardly ever use.. Been thinking of trying a cbr tail light but not sure I can make both the tail light and license plate fit along with my bike being lowered and stretched 3" with the 200 rear tire...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361318297965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361318297965.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 28
I have a Marsee bag, similar to this one:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/marsee-teardrop-tank-bag/

expandable via the shock cord on the bag sides. Then it zips closed, smaller. Transparent map pocket on top & penetrations for running a power cord to your electronics. Comes w/a removable shoulder strap for off the bike.
marsee-teardrop-tank-bag.jpg

and also some eclipse P38 saddlebags
  • Reflective striping.
  • Lash pads on top of packs to tie down bulky items.
  • Soft, padded sleeve slips over rear seat strap.
  • Soft, non-abrasive fabric to protect bike?s finish.
  • Full-size, additional side pockets.
  • Secure, quick-release mounting system.
  • Raincovers included.
  • 18? x 5? x 12? tapering to 8? tall. Total capacity 1850 cu. in. (15 liters) per side.
http://www.eclipseluggage.com/luggage/102.html
105l.jpg

Thanks! Those are all "old bikes" that I've restored and sold along the way. Funny thing though, I still have the same tank bag! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back