tech help-oil from breather tube

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
This is a new to me '97 v-max with 20,000 miles. I have put about 300 miles on the bike. Yesterday I mounted a windshield and last night I did a bit of spited riding. It was hot here -min 90s Put about 100 mile on bike most at high speed (70-90) This morning I noticed a small pool of liquid on the floor on the left side just about where my swing arm pivot is. I wasn't sure that was new so took a 20 mile ride this morning. when i got home I noticed there was what looked like oil on the side of the tire. I there was also oil on the drive shaft and I appeared that there had been oil coming from the drain tube just in front of the swing arm (left side) I'm guessing this is a breather tube but don't really know yet-haven't been able to track it down yet (waiting for bike to cool down) I appears that the oil is at the right level and I get no indication from the oil light,

So should I be worried?

I'm hoping this is some common problem and one of you is going to say " Oh the Kanuten valve is stick closed" or something like that.

Thanks

Craig

I think that tube comes down from where you put gas in, it is like an overflow drain if you spill gas. I think that's the tube you're describing on the left by the swingarm

Correction: The line leaking oil is about 1/2 way down the drive shaft and held in place with a little wire bracket on the swing arm.

Oil level: when i put the bike up on the center stand, the whole inspection window is covered with oil. My be the PO put a bit too much oil in the bike?

I think that tube comes down from where you put gas in, it is like an overflow drain if you spill gas. I think that's the tube you're describing on the left by the swingarm

This is not gas... I wonder it something could be leaking oil up top and the oil is just running down the tube... The is a good deal of oil inside my rear fender and on the side of the tire, any Idea where else I could be coming from?

I tnink for sure you need to drain some oil out!

Should be at the center line or a little above, or no more than 3/4 from the bottom of sight glass.

O

Are you sure its engine oil and not grease or even oil from the final drive?

Yep, that's the drain from by the gas cap. I don't know why oil would be coming out. It seems like your level is too high tho.

I tnink for sure you need to drain some oil out!

Should be at the center line or a little above, or no more than 3/4 from the bottom of sight glass.

O
#1 on draining a oil to the right level......if you want to be sure its coming from the line you are describing , get a small zip lock bag and slip it over the hose and use a rubber band to hold the bag in place and then ride. I would also check the crankcase breather line which connects to the bottom of the air box. If its off and the oil level is too high it may or will find its way to the top of the crankcase breather return line that I mentioned earlier. Like weasel said it may be coming from the final drive (differential).

Hello! I'm stupid, whats your name? OK the oil was actually coming from the final drive drain. I guess it was falling on the wheel and being somehow carried to the drain tube, OK filled up the final drive, tightened everything up, no leaks and no bad noises so I guess there was no damage done to the rear end. Thanks! Craig

We all have our moments. Better to ask than have serious issues occur. Oil on a tire qualifies as a 'serious issue.' Thank God you didn't take a spill from it!

Latest posts

Back