Technical TCI question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Our apprentice here at work has now got his 95 Vmax running, sort of.
We found one cylinder down and traced it back to a bad coil and also found the TCI bad on that leg that fed the coil. My suspicion was that the failed coil may have nuked the TCI?

Anyway, we manged to find a good coil and secondhand TCI....BUT the part number is TID14-95 3 UF-11 The failed TCI on the bike is TID14-93 3JP-12
I don't really know enough about it all and what to think.
My brief research seems to suggest that the replacement is from a European non Vboost model.?

Having said all that we hooked it all up and the bike runs just fine.
Anybody know what's different and does the TCI tell the Vboost servo to open at the correct RPM. If that's correct, then will this model TCI tell it to open??
Does it still have the switching circuit etc??

Does the vboost go thru it's check with this TCI connected? I Think you are right about it was meant for the European model Vmax which came without Vboost. I think the bike will run ok with this TCI but the circuit that tells the vboost controller may not be in this TCI. If it does the vboost check when the ignition is switched on, I would say the circuitry is in place. Maxmidnight or Wildweasel would know and they may be on later tonight and verify the information you seek.

The ignition unit doesn't "talk" to the vboost controller really. A gray sense wire basically taps into one of the ignition coils as does the fuel pump relay and tach.

Thanks all for the quick replies.
The Vboost does indeed cycle when the ignition is switched on.
Looking at wiring diagram for a Vboost 1993-2000 model there is a connection ( 2 in fact) between TCI and Vboost control unit one of them being the coil.
The fact that it is going thru the cycle then suggests it's all going to work?:confused2:

When you get it running well enough give it a test run and see if you can feel the vboost kick in. The European model was restricted on HP by different jetting to the cars, no vboost and down sized the exhaust header pipes. As rumor has it, it only made about 100 HP at the crank shaft and tach redline was 8500. I hope it all works out for you guys

85-89 Box's interchange and have the gold/yellow label. 90-07 interchange and have the silver label.

Sean. The one he has is a restricted non VBoost like this one below. Don't know how the internals work and how that can affect the VBoost controller but that TCI is used on non VBoost maxes Steve...

Attachments

• 1993 restricted vmax CDI.jpg
    1993 restricted vmax CDI.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the input. Like I say it runs ok and the Vboost cycles but we don't have it on the road to see if it opens at required RPM.
Assuming it does all work, weren't they (eu) restricted to 8500 rpm? And controlled by the TCI?
It's all a bit mysterious to me and I know you guys know much more about it all.

The restricted ones are not restricted by rpm but by hp as they output only about 100hp to the engine (different carbsliders, cans, plugged crossover manifolds, no vboost etc). The rev gauge shows redline at 8500, don't know why, different cams possibly?

Steve. Kyle is selling a TCI like you need for $125 plus shipping... Get a hold of him...

Steve. Kyle is selling a TCI like you need for $125 plus shipping... Get a hold of him...

Thanks for the heads up. So far things seem to be ok but I'll definitely look at that
if it's available still if this unit doesn't do what it should.

Back