technological stupid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I work for a heavy highway construction. We do work on any given thruways, state roads etc. This summer we are milling/paving interstate 90 between interstate 190 and the clarance toll boths. (for you local guys). It's the busy section that goes by malls, airport exit, etc. I'm a truck driver and am the guy who sets the work zones. When you see orange cones, thats me. So we have a right lane closed. We have to build the exits and on ramps accordingly, and I completely understand that it can be confusing. The speed limits are dropped to 45 so you have more time navigate. Like clockwork we have cars drive into our workzone, on our new blacktop, and put all of us in danger, that are working in there. The funny part is the cones are about 40 ft apart, so they have to slow way down just to turn into it. A few nights ago, it was especially bad with cars pull in. I stopped a car in the zone and our conversation gave me a light bulb moment. His Quote " my GPS said I should be in this lane" He completely Ignored the lead in signs, all the signs in the zones helping to guide you, flashing lights on all our trucks, etc. The same night a different guy had a similar experience. The lady said her Tom-Tom said to be in this lane. He asked her if her Tom-Tom new we were paving that lane tonight, only in not such a nice way. We've had a few complaints to the thruway from drivers about the construction guys that yelled, swore at them. I didn't mention this but we work from 7 at night to around 7 in the morning. So I'm thinking a lot of these people are so dependent on there GPS that any common sense goes out the window.

Are you kidding? With the advent of a good GPS device, you can now punch in your desired destination, then set the cruise control. You can then climb into the back seat for a much needed nap. Ain't technology grand?

er....uh....well, you'd think it worked like that the way some dumbbunnies operate their cages.

I work for a heavy highway construction. We do work on any given thruways, state roads etc. This summer we are milling/paving interstate 90 between interstate 190 and the clarance toll boths. (for you local guys). It's the busy section that goes by malls, airport exit, etc. I'm a truck driver and am the guy who sets the work zones. When you see orange cones, thats me. So we have a right lane closed. We have to build the exits and on ramps accordingly, and I completely understand that it can be confusing. The speed limits are dropped to 45 so you have more time navigate. Like clockwork we have cars drive into our workzone, on our new blacktop, and put all of us in danger, that are working in there. The funny part is the cones are about 40 ft apart, so they have to slow way down just to turn into it. A few nights ago, it was especially bad with cars pull in. I stopped a car in the zone and our conversation gave me a light bulb moment. His Quote " my GPS said I should be in this lane" He completely Ignored the lead in signs, all the signs in the zones helping to guide you, flashing lights on all our trucks, etc. The same night a different guy had a similar experience. The lady said her Tom-Tom said to be in this lane. He asked her if her Tom-Tom new we were paving that lane tonight, only in not such a nice way. We've had a few complaints to the thruway from drivers about the construction guys that yelled, swore at them. I didn't mention this but we work from 7 at night to around 7 in the morning. So I'm thinking a lot of these people are so dependent on there GPS that any common sense goes out the window.

45 mph in a construction zone??? In Canada it is 50 kph (30 mph) and if we get caught speeding the ticket is doubled if workers are present. Sorry to hear about your fiascos with the GPS orientated drivers... maybe your company should invest in a new sign, "Don't follow GPS" :confused2:

I've been using the GPS when in the car, but on the bike I still prefer a map stuck to my faux-tank. Way I've always done it, I guess..

I work as a truck driver in the UK. I will not have a sat nav in the cab on principle. We have over recent years had an influx of east european drivers coming here for work. The driving test in poland is far easier than here and the drivers come cheeper than the englishmen. Scarcely a week goes by without the newspapers running the "Pole and Sat Nav" story with pictures of a 44 tonne truck wedged either under a bridge, between a couple of houses in a tiny village or bogged down on some quiet counry lane that you would think twice about attacking in a 4x4

45 mph in a construction zone??? In Canada it is 50 kph (30 mph) and if we get caught speeding the ticket is doubled if workers are present. Sorry to hear about your fiascos with the GPS orientated drivers... maybe your company should invest in a new sign, "Don't follow GPS" :confused2:

We have the fines doubled in our work zones too. I suggested that exact statement to the head engineer on the job. I had a guy stop in the live lane last night and tell me he miss his exit, that he wanted the 90 east to albany. If he was watching the road instead of me, he would have seen the overhead sign in front of him that said, 90 east, Albany.:confused2:. He was happy he was right, but I don't think he put any thought into the fact that another driver could have slammed into him when he stopped dead on the NYS thruway. I think having these experiences makes me a better cycle rider. just knowing first hand how brain dead a lot of drivers are.

Some people would follow them even if it told them to drive off a cliff. We had a pair of cars collide while merging onto I-90 earlier this week, and a construction worker was killed because of it. Sad to hear. Be safe out there!

Thats perfect Garrett. Most drivers are sheep. If one drives into the workzone all behind him will follow. When I pull into the zones, I have beacon lights, 4 ways, Construction vehicle do not follow sign, and still they follow in. I always just come to a stop once I pull in, and they get the hint. To be honest, I'm surprised that we haven't had more accidents, injuries. The ground guy on the Road mill will spend half of his night no more than a foot from live traffic. Same with the paver guys. And thats everyday for most of the summer.

Back