Temp red line

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Got caught in stop and extremely slow traffic for about 30 min and temp needle was creeping up to touching redline. How safe is it to drive at this juncture? Should you pull over and allowing cooling or is it only a problem if it goes into the red zone for an extended/short period of time? Luckily traffic started moving a bit and I was able to get enough airflow the drop the temp at that point.

Lots of guys are not bothered by the needle running way up by the red. It is within the acceptable operating temperature range. It does look scary, but apparently you're not doing any damage. These bikes run on the hot side.

I would change out temp switch so fan comes on halfway on gauge . There's a comfort zone when you glance or feel the fan kick on when stuck in traffic also if needle does climb near red you know you have problem .Some people installed manual switch (IMO) that's a slight distraction worrying about flipping switch and watching needle I prefer to watch shit around me .

Got caught in stop and extremely slow traffic for about 30 min and temp needle was creeping up to touching redline. How safe is it to drive at this juncture? Should you pull over and allowing cooling or is it only a problem if it goes into the red zone for an extended/short period of time? Luckily traffic started moving a bit and I was able to get enough airflow the drop the temp at that point.

I installed a fan switch for just that reason; when I'm caught in stop and go traffic and the temp gauge needle starts to climb, I just flick my fan switch on and leave it on until I get moving.

Early fan activation, however you do it, seems to be best. Once they get hot, it's harder to cool them down than prevent it in the first place. I like to see the needle at the black dot or below, on early Gen1's, or about half way to the red area. Sitting long enough at idle, will get them on the hot side. I usually shut the engine off if I'm not moving much.

I would change out temp switch so fan comes on halfway on gauge . There's a comfort zone when you glance or feel the fan kick on when stuck in traffic also if needle does climb near red you know you have problem .Some people installed manual switch (IMO) that's a slight distraction worrying about flipping switch and watching needle I prefer to watch shit around me .

Jamie
Was stuck on 95..fan was on continuously from midway point..but since there was barely any movement did'nt help much with all the hot air from cars etc.

Another thing I'm noticing is that I used to get 14 volts charging when hooked up to an odyssey battery. I changed to a Universal and added a heavy duty starter cable and now I am only getting 13.5ish charging. Could a battery make a difference in charging capacity?
Steve..heading up to NH next weekend

There's a thread about switching to a 1988 Nissan Altima thermal sensor at a great savings in $. I think it also activated the circuit quicker/sooner. See #15: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240&highlight=Temperature+sensor

Courtesy of RaWarrior, Schroon Lake NY. :worthy: His questions answered post is great.

I am not an EE (but my wife is), but switching to another battery shouldn't affect your charging. The output from your stator is what determines your voltage to the regulator/rectifier. Then it's the R/R which changes it from ac to dc. Maybe check your connections? Also, i would watch the output from the R/R as perhaps it is starting to fail. A good time to upgrade to a MOSFET one when it does.

When you install a manual switch for the fan do you still have the automatic mode are is it all manual with the remote switch?
Thanks

Guys

I already have manual fan switch, mosfet R/R, HD grounds etc. Fan still comes on automatically unless you use the manual fan switch.

Have you flushed the system, and used mostly water with an additive like water wetter?

How old is your coolant also" F" 95 that parking lot:biglaugh:

lol I'm fortunate that the 95 up here in Maine flows pretty decent normally. Once in a while, you'll have something crazy going on at either the Augusta or Cumberland County Civic Centers, and traffic will be clogged with attendees trying to get there.

That and idiot tourists in the summer

Yep, I'm South Florida with commonly in mid nineties and high humidity and run the fan switch and nothing else and get half way on the gas sitting in traffic. That's all I can offer.

Back