tent & gear recommendations.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I plan on doing a bit of touring on the vmax this coming year. I have been going through my camping/bugout bag gear. Until now I have favored mostly military surplus for durability, lack of silly colors and price. Problem is bulk and weight, I have to lighten up over a shoulder injury and chronic pain catching up to me. I use the same gear for bugout, hiking/camping and motorcycle touring.

The heaviest bulkiest item I have is a tent, last time I went to replace it prices were absurd and flashy colors but worst of all the lightest ones were delicate and came with special handling instructions. It was before the pain so I decided to keep what I had.

Now I have to update it and hope it's enough wt loss. So I appeal to folks that know gear for a recommend something to meet the following criteria in order of priority. Not looking for fancy, just subtle and effective.

Olive or earth tones (will go in bugout bag to so flashy colors are out).
Not delicate or fragile.
Light/compact
Fast easy setup, maybe free standing or popup but should be quick and simple.
Cost effective 1-2 person, 3 season.

Ill go further if I need to shed more wt but would like to start here first. Does the tent I want exist?

Sorry so long but searching the net gave up surprisingly little. Thanks!

I have a Kelty 2-man free-standing, it uses a rainfly for raining, the full bathtub floor is nice for water repellency. It sets up quickly, fiberglass shock cord sticks, and w/the rainfly secured it can still breathe. Had it for years, though I don't use it as much as I once did.

I also have one of these, a Eureka Apex 2-man tent: http://store.eurekatent.com/apex-2xt-tent MSRP $140
t400_3d8cf6d14467d48c92a870015880b2f0.jpg

Product Description

Lightweight, compact, and built to withstand the elements, the two-person Apex 2XT tent is ideal for backpacking and wilderness camping. This versatile three-season tent assembles easily with a free-standing fiberglass frame. Durable waterproof fabric, raised floor seams, bathtub floor, and a full coverage fly, provide reliable protection from the elements. 6 lb 5 oz

Their Mountain Pass 2XTE is more subtle in color:
t400_888ade860e1ecc268d3252afbc62b7ab.jpg

MSRP: $240 Similar features. 6 lb 8 oz

Last edited:
I plan on doing a bit of touring on the vmax this coming year. I have been going through my camping/bugout bag gear. Until now I have favored mostly military surplus for durability, lack of silly colors and price. Problem is bulk and weight, I have to lighten up over a shoulder injury and chronic pain catching up to me. I use the same gear for bugout, hiking/camping and motorcycle touring.

The heaviest bulkiest item I have is a tent, last time I went to replace it prices were absurd and flashy colors but worst of all the lightest ones were delicate and came with special handling instructions. It was before the pain so I decided to keep what I had.

Now I have to update it and hope it's enough wt loss. So I appeal to folks that know gear for a recommend something to meet the following criteria in order of priority. Not looking for fancy, just subtle and effective.

Olive or earth tones (will go in bugout bag to so flashy colors are out).
Not delicate or fragile.
Light/compact
Fast easy setup, maybe free standing or popup but should be quick and simple.
Cost effective 1-2 person, 3 season.

Ill go further if I need to shed more wt but would like to start here first. Does the tent I want exist?

Sorry so long but searching the net gave up surprisingly little. Thanks!

A few contrasting points that will be hard to match up are cost, not fragile and light. In my experiance if two are camping you will need a 3 person tent. Since you are going to use it on a motorcycle you can get away with a little heavier tent.
What is the price range; if there was a tent that was say $600 but met your other criteria would you consider it? Durability, how would you rate this? longevity or in the ability to withstand heavy wind/weather for a shorter duration? How light is light?
I have a REI backpacking tent(~ 4 lbs/ 2.5 person/ Aircraft aluminum poles/ ground cloth) that I have used every year for the last 12 years (sometimes 1 time a year other multiple times for 2 to 5 days and for one 13 day, 4 different 7 day long trips on Isle Royale) and it is still in great shape. But if I were to be forced to live out of it for extended periods I'm sure it would not cut it. Here is some information to look over which may help you with a decision: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/tents
If there is a REI near you they will setup any tent they have for sale for you to check out: https://www.rei.com/c/tents?r=c&ir=category%3Atents&page=1
I've been a member since the early 80's and most of the stores have knowledgeable staff that can help you with gear.

Great info. Thanks for the rapid responses. I had a kelty pack and it was very nice but also very bright. I would be cool with Kelty gear. As far as price $600 is a bit steep for this year. Durability, just able to last for years with reasonable care. Some of the ultra light models felt fragile aside from expensive. I think anything under 3-ish lbs is great, or a touch more. My current is in excess of 10lbs.

There is no REI here, just Cabellas and Scheels, both notoriously expensive. I will camp solo all the time with this one, the REI you described sounds great, even a smaller one would work. I would be comfortable buying on ebay, even pre owned if I could narrow it down some. The link and info give me a good place to start since I have never purchased commercial tents before. Im hoping for something clean and basic for u der $200 but maybe I need to adjust that to find what I need. I figured there would be compromise in my.price range.

Thanks guys! Ill start looking and see what I find.

Ive been using a cheap Coleman 3 person nylon tent i bought at kmart back in 98. Granted, its yellow, sticks out like a sore thumb and requires having a tarp on the inside to keep the floor dry, but its held up very well with low maintenance. Granted, i dont camp as much as i did in my 20's, but i got my moneys worth out of it and then some!

Just my 2 cent's It cost around $15 t0 $20 per night to camp if your lucky so imo well my wife taught me that a cheep motel with a hot shower and a dry bed that we dont have to pack and unpack and most of the time some kinda free food in the am is the best way for us. In Michigan we almost always find a motel with a fire pit. Not to rain on your thread just something to think about.

Im all about bang for the buck! I have some coleman gear ready to go when power goes out at home and its been very reliable.

I see several REI tents on ebay very reasonsbly priced, hard to find subtle colors but nice gear. I also see some snugpack tents that look very suitable but not surr about quality. I have some reading to do on this but it looks promising to find a decent tent at the right price. Ill look at some Kelty and see whats out there.

Dome tents look big and others look like bivy tents which might be a better fit. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction gents. I had no idea there were so many different features and things to consider.

If that's how you fly nothing wrong with it. When i did my bug out back pack i thought a'lot about buying a cheep tent or not and i made my mind up cheep was the way to go for me because a cheep one will hold up for a few years and you can buy a new one for $25 to $35 I bought my tent from Walmart and it has a nice carry bag with a handle and it's only about 10"x8"x3" and it's light so it pack's well. Never used it.

To get the most durability four season tents are generally the most durable but $$$$, but they would not be the greatest tent for warm summer camping as they do not flow air as well as a 2 or even a 3 season tent. Like Mike said the lower cost tents have their place as one of my backpacking buddies used Eureka tent that cost him $60-$70 and has served him well for 10 or so backpacking trips to Isle Royale. I would set them up and try them out as nothing worse than spending a long night in a tent that drips condensation and sags on you. My other buddy is a minimalist in his approach to his shelter and he uses a tarp setup. If a solo shelter is what you plan on using you may want to take a look at a Hammock. Link here: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hammock-Reviews

The last time i stayed in a tent was at Two Hearted river over labor day weekend on a quad trip and the temp drop to 35 at night time we had a nice 6 man cabin tent that we put together in the dark all 4 of use froze our ass off. My air mattress gasket feel off in the dark when i aired it up and at about 4am i woke up shivering because my but was touching the ground. I found the gasket and it helped a'lot but still needed better gear and some kind of heat. I also have a childhood fear of northern Michigan bears. I spent a'lot of time camping with the grand parents back in my younger years. They grew up in tar paper shack's and dear camps in northern Mi. I have camped on the back waters near Paradise Mi and A'lot of other place's up by you in my younger years. I'm not so afraid of bears now but i have a glock on my side and a motel now day's.

Just my 2 cent's It cost around $15 t0 $20 per night to camp if your lucky so imo well my wife taught me that a cheep motel with a hot shower and a dry bed that we dont have to pack and unpack and most of the time some kinda free food in the am is the best way for us. In Michigan we almost always find a motel with a fire pit. Not to rain on your thread just something to think about.
I welcome all perspectives, for many years I just went until I found a cheap motel. There was always some out of the way dive in the up to $30 range and that I could live with but over the last few years Its tough to find anything under 70/night. Im cheap as hell so I may continue to do the alternating camp one night, then a room, camp, room.

I camped in a campground once and I have vivid memories of generators humming along well into the night, kids screaming, dogs barking, people all around, It was a bad experience so I just find a quiet patch of earth out of the way and go with it. This probably only works because I ride rural routes and avoid cities and metro areas. I will almost always avoid any town with mpre than a handful of traffic lights. I have on a few occasions just camped on the edge of a rest area with no trouble if I throw my tent right next to the bike and sleep awhile. I can see how this might not work in heavily populated areas but I avoid those, even interstate is avoided where possible. I seem to have a strong, probably innate aversion to crowds and traffic. I feel like I can still pull it off, I hope so anywy. A small subtle tent is barely noticeable behind a bike. If I tour with wifey I think well just get rooms but this is one of those things I just have to do alone. The solotude and open road is an experience I cant describe but it pulls on me constantly, I just need to do it. This is one of the reasons a tent must be small, subtle, quick and easy. If im in the middle oof nowhere I camp proper but if not I just deploy the tent right next to the bike and slide in. I dont spread stuff around like Im camping and I seem to stay under the radar that way. I stay out of the way and nobody seems to care. I sleep a few hours pick up and go find a greasy spoon for coffee and eggs with that $75-100 still in my pocket. Did I mention I'm a cheapass?

The less I spend per night the longer the tour can be. Im liking the Snugpak Ionasphere or Scorpion, looks perfect, also like a few of the REI models but for reasons above I prefer not to draw attn to myself with eye-catching colors, especially since it doubles as a bugout tent. Im sure in a few years I will be unable to pull this off as I get older but I may have some good times left haha.

I say you should go for it. Keep us posted of all your trips we all like to here and see the fun a brother vmax hooligan is having. Lot's of pic's and video.

I buy cheap ($30-$40) 4-man tents, usually from Wal-mart. They give you ample room for luggage and other stuff brought in from the bike, and enough head room to make dressing/undressing almost tolerable.
I always include a can of waterproofing when purchasing a new tent.
Depending on how much use they get, the cheapies last one or two seasons, almost always failing because of wonky zippers.
I carry a small tarp to use as a groundsheet, and an extra fly , when rain is forecast.
Tenting gets expensive when travelling solo. Campgrounds are usually $25 - $35+, just for a unserviced plot of grass (if you are lucky enough to find a site with grass - did I mention that I also pack an air mattress?)
Abandoned farmhouses and other buildings are my favorite places to crash, when I allow myself the luxury of a roof over my head. Just one reason why I travel on secondary routes.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1000569.jpg
    P1000569.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000638.jpg
    P1000638.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010513.jpg
    P1010513.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020597.jpg
    P1020597.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 16
It sounds like you guys understand! Love the pics. I promise pics too, The almost glow-in-the-dark terquois max should stand out like a turd in a punchbowl. I'm looking forward to hitting a vmax gathering or two this year too.

On campgrounds, I dont think Ill ever do it again unless I'm at an event with others. Im probably stuck in the 80s with my anti-conformist defiant oppositional displacement. I consider it my duty and privilege to find innovative ways to go against the grain and assert my aautonomy over those that think I have no option but to do business with them.

This will be my first tour since my shoulder issues and onset of fibromyalgia so im not sure how it will play out, I feel great about it! Tthe anticipation is palpable. Even if I have to get rooms then thats just life, its going to rock either way. A new tent and maybe replace my WW2 era cookware as well should be the most I need. Im giddy like a kid on the last day of school before summer break.

Once in awhile you run across a bargain - Pejepscook campground is in Maine,just down the road a tad from where I live. I make it a point to stay there whenever returning from the U.S.
Owned and operated by a super cool retired couple (he's a Vietnam vet, she brings around home-made cookies to everybody) They are constantly making improvements , and the washrooms are nicer (and much cleaner), than found in most homes.
And the teepees are great, with built in hammocks. All for $11.00 a night!
Mukluk Annies is on the Alaska highway. FREE camping, all-you-can-eat Breakfast, World famous salmon bakes, boat rides on the Yukon river for $10.00
Don't let one or two bad experiences discourage you from campgrounds, most can be fun, and campers are generally friendly. Solo bikers are a curiosity, and are often pitied. Free meals are commonplace.
Campgrounds near large cities fill up with Yahoos/Weekend Warriors for Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes great entertainment, but not much sleep action.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1020118.jpg
    P1020118.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020125.jpg
    P1020125.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1020606.jpg
    P1020606.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Mukluk Annies, '08.jpg
    Mukluk Annies, '08.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 13

I usually go to Copper Harbor or over to Grand Portage, MN. (at the Canadian border) if I'm going to Isle Royale. Riding I look for scenic campground or a smaller mom/pop motel where I can park the bike right outside of the room. I rode through Houghton in the rain to ride up to Copper Harbor to stay at the hotel at the Isle Royale ferry boat dock this last fall, maybe I have the same non-conformist attitude that caseyjones has.:confused2:
I live very close to my SHTF bugout location already!:biglaugh:

Point well taken, that does sound like a great experience. I have noted both places in my travel book. My experience was with the later. If they were all like your first mentioned I would use them regularly. Maybe a thread or sticky with recommended lodging for guys like us?

A solo motorcyclist being pittied is fun, I have had a lot of people express envy though. "So you just got on the bike and went huh, fuck, must be sweet". " would you like to have dinner and do some laundry before you get back on the road?" <---(This is my fav). " so you really have no destination, cool wish I could do that". "My wife would never allow me to do what your ddoing". Pity would be hard to grasp, I would do this full time if I could and bask in a completely nomadic lifestyle as a travel nurse. :punk:

Back