Test Drove Victory

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Okay guys, over the weekend I test drove the Victory Hammer and Jackpot. Keep in mind I've never ridden another bike other than the Vmax, except for the dual sport 250 I was taught on in my driving course.

I was not impressed at all to be honest. They had absolutely no guts at all. And banging off the rev limiter constantly. I know our bikes are powerful, but I thought for sure a 1500 and 1800 would have some kind of power..

Are our bikes really that much more powerful than most of the cruisers out there? If so, exactly what can I buy that's a cruiser and better than the Vmax? Except for the new Vmax of course?

I'm not selling my Vmax of course, but was kinda looking around to see if I could find some sort of second bike. But I want it to have the same acceleration of the Vmax.

Any ideas?

Only bike I can think of that is close to or better than the power of the vmax is the Triumph Rocket III Roadster, 2300 Inline 3, 145 hp, 160 ft-lb of torque.

Ive read good reviews on the Ducati Diavel as well, V-Twin 1200, 162hp, 100ish ft-lb of torque, supposed to handle very well too... oh and it looks bad ass.

+1 to the Diavel- if you've got 14 or 15 grand lying around burning a hole in your pocket.

That's a bit disappointing. Because if it ever came down to me buying a new bike I was really planning on getting a Victory, granted probably one of their Touring.

That's a bit disappointing. Because if it ever came down to me buying a new bike I was really planning on getting a Victory, granted probably one of their Touring.

I would try one and form your own opinion. I rode a 2006 Kingpin last year and thought it was a pretty nice cruiser. Handled well and the suspension was very comfortable. I wouldn't expect an air cooled V-Twin to feel like a VMax in power department so I don't compare them that way.

I would try one and form your own opinion. I rode a 2006 Kingpin last year and thought it was a pretty nice cruiser. Handled well and the suspension was very comfortable. I wouldn't expect an air cooled V-Twin to feel like a VMax in power department so I don't compare them that way.

True enough. Granted by the time I can even afford a victory it will be 2015 or so lol.

That being said I have a Vmax. I have no need for another hotrod bike. :D

I understand what everyone is saying, but the sales guy said it was a Muscle Cruiser. I was just wondering where the muscle part was...

Muscle Cruiser in the case of V-twins is a bit of an oxymoron... ;-)

Kawasaki Meanstreak? Just throwin that out there,really dont know any specs but, I know some guys that have them and like them alot!:confused2:

+1. Excluding the Diavel it's not fair to compare V-twin cruisers to a Max...and even sillier to brag about racing one! LOL!

The Max is an excellent cruiser. If you'd like a bike that's different than a cruiser, and one that's easy on the wallet find yourself a 1998 Gixxer 1100. I've read that these bikes are a favourite among tuners, make 10-sec 1/4 miles easy, and even handle well.

Just a thought.

Blaine

The Yama Raider with a Patrick Big Air kit, VH pipes and a Fuel Managment system turns some great numbers for an air cooled V-Twin.

O

If you'd like a bike that's different than a cruiser, and one that's easy on the wallet find yourself a 1998 Gixxer 1100. I've read that these bikes are a favourite among tuners, make 10-sec 1/4 miles easy, and even handle well.

There's a guy up here, back in the late 80's was riding a Gixxer 1100. He put a pipe, carbs and cams in it and was running 9.6's all day long. He pretty much won every event that year. He's a good wrench and a great guy. He now owns/runs Darby's Performance Machines up here.

vrod is nice i hear, but its still a vtwin.

warrior or raider is comfy but still a vtwin - the warrior is ready for radials, has an aluminum frame, the intake isnt off to the side so it doesnt have to take a 90 degree turn to burn

m109r might not be bad, but i hear the shiftings clucky and its still a vtwin :(. weve been on the fence about buying one.

ive ridden a shetload of bikes, and the vmax has something that other cruisers dont, and its called thrust. yes its real and is measurable. sportbikes have thrust but dont have torque or the feel good vibes and sound.

if youre considering a diavel just get a gen 2 max.

its not all about speed, its not all about who has the most hp, what it IS all about is how the ride makes you FEEL. and there is no substitute. with the vmax u either like it or you dont. if they made a new yamaha venture with the gen 2 200hp engine, would YOU buy it? hell ya! lol

if honda would get off their ass and tune up a new magna v65 with the vfr1200 motor id be all set >:D
the problem with making a new v65 with that engine is the same thing i hated about all the magnas, ya they revd high, and made good power... up high... but i want power down low too :( and below 5 or 6 k they werent exactly spectacular

the manufacturers need to get off their asses and realize that we dont all want vtwins. if the m109r had an 1800cc vfour engine for about 10-12k. people would be all over that shit

a new maker called motus is chopping a vette motor into a v4 and making a sport tourer and a naked out of it but theyre gonna be like 30k and 40k+, ive emailed them several times to see if they had plans for a cruiser/standard style bike with the same pushrod v4 engine, at a blue collar everyday worker man's price, and sadly... havent gotten an email back yet :( hey maybe theyre thinking about it!!!! i would trade in my gen 2 max for a good american pushrod v4 motorbike... ok id have to think about it... but cmon!

Option:
1) get a Yamaha Venture(if you wanna get SERIOUS I have a set of Vboost butterflies I'm willing to part with)

2) stick a Vmax motor in another frame(only likely way to get it's feeling without riding ON one because let's not be silly...the whole bikes motor)

3) my personal favorite Ide:tack weld some ape hangers on a old model Busa with a bicycle gel seat stitched to it!

Ok...ok...all joking aside my buddy rides a really nice Boulevard M50 and although my Max is without question faster, I RARELY crack the throttle and have to wonder wether or not he's with me still, they are quick and comfortable. I highly recommend you test ride one.

The only V-Twin bikes that have a prayer of hanging with the max in some form are the M109R and the Vrod. The rest of the muscle cruisers just don't have what it takes. Both the 109 and VRod are still slower, but they are in aproximately the same league. It was down to the Vmax, 109R, and Vrod when I was bike shopping before I got the max. Power was concern #1, price #2, its no surprise that the Max had the best price and the best power. The 109R and VRod were coming in pretty close in the power department, and the 109R was a little cheaper. I didn't consider the Rocket III because there is not a single one used that I have seen around here, and the price tag would be too much if there was - otherwise that would be a consideration as well.

Keep in mind the motorcycles you are looking at (V twins) dont make the same horsepower as your vmax. And they make their max Torque at a different rpm range...hence a different riding style.

I will say that even though my vmax makes all the torque and over twice the horsepower of either of my HD products...It would never pull my small cargo trailer as well as my RoadGlide does...

Option:
1) get a Yamaha Venture(if you wanna get SERIOUS I have a set of Vboost butterflies I'm willing to part with)

2) stick a Vmax motor in another frame(only likely way to get it's feeling without riding ON one because let's not be silly...the whole bikes motor)

3) my personal favorite Ide:tack weld some ape hangers on a old model Busa with a bicycle gel seat stitched to it!

Ok...ok...all joking aside my buddy rides a really nice Boulevard M50 and although my Max is without question faster, I RARELY crack the throttle and have to wonder wether or not he's with me still, they are quick and comfortable. I highly recommend you test ride one.

1) You need a lot more than VBoost butterflies to make a Venture / Royal Star motor run like a Max . ( Heads , Cams , etc. )

2) Max motor will fit nicely in a Venture / Royal Star & Sean Morley could build it for you , exactly how you want it , keep in mind it weighs considerably more , so you need Sean to " Build " that motor , or have him " Build " you a 1300 that comes with the Venture / Royal Star .

Attachments

• DSC00508.jpg
    DSC00508.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 23
Only bike I can think of that is close to or better than the power of the vmax is the Triumph Rocket III Roadster, 2300 Inline 3, 145 hp, 160 ft-lb of torque.

Ive read good reviews on the Ducati Diavel as well, V-Twin 1200, 162hp, 100ish ft-lb of torque, supposed to handle very well too... oh and it looks bad ass.

+1 for the triumph

V-max is a category on it's own. dont think is a cruiser - chopper. it is between cruiser and naked bikes.
i think V-max belongs to gsx - xjr - cb 1300 category. and one bike that can match V-max power is the k1300r bmw. which i like by the way

Back