Testing the carbon fiber waters. Might start making it.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you familiar with a company called Tyga? They had a distributor on this forum for a short while advertising their Vmax parts. I'm unsure if the website still has prices and pics. The parts were replacements for factory pieces, not fancy custom designs. Personally, all the pieces of theirs I examined were of exceptional design, fit, finish, quality. I do not know how they could be better and my standards are pretty high. I thought the prices were reasonable also. Now to answer your question. I don't know if they continue to offer these parts. Is it low sales volume compared to their other products? Is it a financial
Profit margin issue? I do not know.
If it were me looking into this, I do the footwork to contact Tyga and inquire about the molds. I have contacts that do business in Asian manufacturing fields that would/could source production their for cheap cheap. That is probably more than you want to bite off but it may help you get started.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

I willing to bet there would be a lot of interest, but I believe that in the end, fit and finish would be the factor that controls if they sell. I'm guessing that the "natural" finish of carbon fibre will be what people want, which means one can't fill and paint over small problems. In other words, every panel most be perfect.

Don't expect a big market or mass sales. If your interested in doing something like this, its best to contact a vendor and offering them directly to one person , then it would be to make 5 separate sales.

I will guarantee unless you like doing it for fun, you won't make any money and probably won't pay for your time to make your own. So honestly it would most likely have to be a labor of love effort.

I ve been there and done that.

Todd

I remember there was a thread from Tyga essentially saying they were getting out of the game (or at least vmax parts), and wouldn't be making any more. When the current stock ran out that's it. While I heard the parts were top shelf quality, I have to imagine low sales caused them to leave this site and cease production.

Their website still lists all the parts, so I'd assume they still have some stock on hand. And considering the work and skill that goes into high quality cf parts, their prices really seem pretty reasonable.

So if you're interested as a hobby then great, but I wouldn't go into it with any expectations to recoup costs, let alone break even.

Make more radical custom parts, not stock and you'll have a better chance of this idea flying. Bigger Badd Assed looking scoops,
good looking custom fenders and scooped top and side covers. Just my thoughts...

Yep anything badass and usual will sell better than stock. Many body parts have been available for years and it doesnt change much anymore.
After what triggers everything will be the price.... Thats the tricky part I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yep anything badass and usual will sell better than stock. Many body parts have been available for years and it doesnt change much anymore.
After what triggers everything will be the price.... Thats the tricky part I think.
I partly agree with "something different" however I think the faux tank cover is the one piece of bodywork that could be done as a copy of stock and still sell.

Something that you could fabricate that would REALLY be popular, if past and present interest on this forum is any indication - a carbon fiber "not-so-faux" faux gas tank! These are available from European dealers, but at exorbitant cost . And I think they are sooooo large that the scoops cannot be used.
I can't recall the manufacturer, maybe someone else?
I reshaped the tank on my bike years ago, not to hold gasoline, just to give it the appearance of a regular-sized tank. I did this by fabricating on to the original, maintaining all the original mounting points, so it wasn't really a difficult job. I recall there being quite a large void before closing everything up - maybe two litres worth? Also, more space could be obtained by relocating the rad. overflow tank (I think KJ Shover did this), and also making the tank sit closer to the air box. Feed to the fuel line could be just gravity, via a petcock and small hose arrangement.
Providing the price was reasonable, I bet you would sell a pile of these!
Cheers

Attachments

• Sean Morley and Frankenmax.jpg
    Sean Morley and Frankenmax.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 29
Something that you could fabricate that would REALLY be popular, if past and present interest on this forum is any indication - a carbon fiber "not-so-faux" faux gas tank! These are available from European dealers, but at exorbitant cost . And I think they are sooooo large that the scoops cannot be used.
I can't recall the manufacturer, maybe someone else?
I reshaped the tank on my bike years ago, not to hold gasoline, just to give it the appearance of a regular-sized tank. I did this by fabricating on to the original, maintaining all the original mounting points, so it wasn't really a difficult job. I recall there being quite a large void before closing everything up - maybe two litres worth? Also, more space could be obtained by relocating the rad. overflow tank (I think KJ Shover did this), and also making the tank sit closer to the air box. Feed to the fuel line could be just gravity, via a petcock and small hose arrangement.
Providing the price was reasonable, I bet you would sell a pile of these!
Cheers

I would be in for a CF gas tank.

Miles - that looks like a big tour you are embarking on in that pic.

I would be in for a CF gas tank.

Miles - that looks like a big tour you are embarking on in that pic.

DALE914 -
My enthusiasm got the best of me again(happens a lot)
I forgot that ethanol- containing gas reacts with fiberglass . The fuel cell itself would have to be constructed out of aluminum or steel. No reason why the outer shell could not be CF, however. Your buds in the aircraft industry would know a lot more about these matters than me. It would be interesting to hear what they would say.
SP - That pic was taken two years ago, on the return leg of a little toot to the Northwest Territories, the Rockies, the southwest, then a dash thru the middle, back to the east coast. Check out my profile, I posted a few more of that trip.
Cheers!

OK-here's my million dollar idea...

Carbon fiber BELT BUCKLES!

Wait!... I'm not kidding.

Think of all the millions of people that have to go thru medal dectitors every day. Every time I have to take off my belt, I'm sure my pants will fall down. Belts you don't have to take off - It'll make you a million!

Back