Thank you and a couple questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgerr4

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying how appreciative I am of this website. I purchased a 1988 Vmax a couple weeks back that was in great condition. I've had many questions since my purchase and most have been answered with quick use of the search bar.

I've been riding the bike for a couple weeks now and noticed that I'm not getting the "kick in the pants" at 6000RPM as most of you tout. I decided to make sure that my vboost was actually functioning. The servo cycles upon switching to run, and I pulled the air box to make sure the linkage was all hooked up. I decided to pull the plug on the servo mid cycle so that the vboost was stopped in the open position. Upon starting it I noticed that the idle seemed louder(?) and I actually didn't need to use the choke for a cold start. I took her for a spin and it seemed like there was much more power (I'm assuming the vboost was on the entire time now). I've read that many drive around with the boost on all the time but I just don't like the idea. So now my questions:

1. I'm guessing that I need a new control unit. I looked on the micro-machines website and they have an activator and controller. I'm assuming I need the controller but how do I know if I need the activator?

2. The previous owner told me he thought the tach was broken. In his words "It seems like if you're going 55mph the RPM is at 5500, and if you're going 65mph the RPM is at 6500". I'm just curious, what is your RPM at when you're cruising along at 55mph generally?

Thank you very much in advance, here's a picture of the bike also.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum.

With the airbox off, and turning on the key, if the linkage is moving, the actuator is prolly OK.

With OEM tires and my bike in 5th gear, I will be doing right @ 60mph with about 4k rpms on the tach. If I remember right, 5k on the tach in 5th gear will net somewhere just above 75mph.

Wow, after doing a little more searching it sounds like my RPM to MPH correlation is way off (I also have stock size tires). Anyone had tachs go bad? Is there any suggestions on what might cause the RPM's to be so high? It shows ~1800RPM at idle.

Is the tach jumpy or does it hold steady at 1800?..........Could be a bad tach or something in the signal wiring..........Once in a while we will get a group ride together, we usually meet up at the Webberville exit #122 off 96..............................Tom.

It's pretty steady. I actually did a little more searching and found a post from the previous owner of the bike: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7327&highlight=tach+high
I guess he never got it figured out...Do you suppose the tach could have been causing the vboost issue?

Tom-thanks for the invite, I'm only 5 miles from that exit so let me know next time you organize a ride!

Hey Dodgerr4,
did you see Chuck's (2Fear) post on his ride from Muskegon to Traverse City on Sunday Aug 18th ? A great day of riding if you can make it.

Back