Thank You VMAX Forum Members

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmac5

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 VMAX and I got a great deal. The previous owner started changing the carb tuning and I think he just never got her running right again. I buy her cheap and figure Plan A will be to take her to the Yamaha Dealer and have them fix it correctly.

Well the Yamaha Dealer didn't want to touch it. Laws have changed in California and the only way they will work on the bike is if they take her completely back to OEM (Exhaust, Carbs, Everything). No problem, I move to Plan B. Find a mom and pop mechanic that will do the work. Well after speaking to several mechanic, I realize that most have no experience working on a VMAX and they couldn't agree on what needed to be done.

Problem: I got a great looking VMAX that runs like sh!t. IN STEPS VMAX FORUM. I consider myself to be a pretty good DIY mechanic but VMAX is intimidating to ride and intimidating to work on. Through all the many posts, I was able to identify what I should do 1st and how to do the work.

I ended up performing a Shotgun on the carbs and pulled the fuel needles. I moved the clip from 2nd to 3rd groove. I changed the fuel filter and installed four new plugs. Finally, I added a disc to the supertrapp (now at 7). End result is this bike runs 1000% better. Still not perfect. I have the fuel/air 3.5 out. I think the fuel/air needs tweaking and the carbs need a sync but at this point, she is running very good.

I saved a fortune, learned a lot about the VMAX and conquered my carburetor phobia.:clapping:

Got any more pics of your soccer-playing sister?:biglaugh:

Glad you are on the right track. Satisfying, and your $ stays in your wallet.

Shops are leery about working on anything not CARB-approved, and being held liable, like Jess James got an EPA $$$$ fine for violating the law. It's only gonna get worse. Hear all the shilling for 'intelligent cars?' They drive themselves in close-proximity to one-another. The perfect vehicle for those who want to multi-task behind the steering wheel, applying make-up, swilling Starbucks, eating McDonalds, and that ever-popular King of the Driving Distractors, using the cellphone, sometimes at the same-time.:bang head:
images

Attachments

• cell-girl driving.pdf
    102.4 KB · Views: 3
Glad to here your vmax is running better. This forum has helped me out a lot also. Ride safe.

Here are the sisters.

Attachments

• Yamaha.girl.1.jpg
    Yamaha.girl.1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Yamaha.girl.2.jpg
    Yamaha.girl.2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Yamaha.girl.3.jpg
    Yamaha.girl.3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 54
Nice pics:clapping: Get yourself a sync tool, it is money well spent when owning a vmax! Most guys here go with the Morgan carbtune for about $100.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh..............another satisfied customer!!

I love it when a plan comes together.............

I came here 5 years ago to find out why my charging system sucked.....and the learning/fun hasn't stopped yet...............that was many monkey dollars ago....

I agree that this forum is one of the best resources for the Vmax, but it does run without funding.

the best way to show your gratitude is the donate a little $$$ to the forum so that it can keep on going for years to come.

Mike

Latest posts

Back