the 2003 Vmax - Comfortable for long rides? Worth $4500?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian2003Max

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just joined this forum.

In 18 hours I'm supposed to go buy a 2003 Vmax but I don't know much about them! I have some questions I hope you can shed light on?

1. What year did "Gen 2" start? (I'm assuming a 2003 is NOT a Gen2)

2. I read that the Vmax is not comfortable for long rides for the passenger ... BUT is it comfortable for say a 5 hour ride for a single rider?

3. How does it handle around town or 45mph on winding country roads?

4. Is there night and day difference between Gen1 & Gen2 Vmax? (why)

Here is a picture of the one I'm supposed to buy. I have not laid real eyes on it yet but here is the seller's picture of it. He says "Too many extras (Performance and Cosmetic) to list. Also have leather gear, helmet and parts."

5. It has only 11,000 miles on it. Do you feel that $4500.00 is a bad, good, or great price tag?

Thanks!
Hurry!
Brian

ps- my last bike was a low mileage 1986 Honda Shadow 1100cc. How does the 2003 Vmax compare to it as far as comfort on long trips?

Attachments

• 2003b.jpg
    2003b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 2003.jpg
    2003.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 111
One more thing.
10 years ago I owned a 1993 Vmax for a year.
In your valued opinion, what would you say are the BIG differences between a 1993 and a 2003 Vmax?

Almost unchanged in those years except for colors and a couple electrical things. The fork upgrade was in '92. The CDI box and harness were changed in '90.

Gen2 started in '09.

It is a completely different bike. Way more power. Way stiffer frame. Better wheels/tires. Stiffer forks. Totally different (and bigger/more powerful) motor. Even less tank range. Modern electronics. Fuel injection. Etc, Etc.

Handling compared to what? If you're used to riding any modern sportbike, it will feel like a bit of a pig as it's setup. You do get upgraded shocks and frame braces, which help the feel some on the one in the picture. Your Corbin seat may or may not be to your liking. I like mine. If your passenger likes a nice wide seat, they will like it, better than a stock seat.

A five hour ride will include at least two stops for gas, so you should be fine.

Welcome to the board. This is a great group, and the main knowledge base for the Gen1 V-Max.

Sorry. I forgot that you said you had a '93 before. Some of the stuff I wrote, you probably already know.

+ 1 to what Dave said + I would ask him to list ALL the extras if he expects you to buy it for his asking price. I would be concerned about what he may or may not has done to the front end and the brakes and the motor. Report back before you hand over $ 4,500. for better and more experienced opinions . :punk:

+1 on the above statement, compared to your last bike v-max is way more powerful would think handling should be the same or better, what are all the mods?? check the 2nd gear make sure that's good, if it runs as good as it looks and the gearbox is good 4500 is a good price IMO not great but not bad either, I would try to shave 500 off, I've seen some better deals but not many, and this time of year your gonna pay premium price. good luck

Long rides = no fun for you by yourself or a passenger. You can put all kinds of mods on it to make it somewhat better, but anything modern is going run circles around it. It can be done though. I ve done several 1000 mile days on my past Vmax's. I wouldn't say it was enjoyable that much, but it was fun.

45 around town is what the Vmax was made for. Short stop light to stop light trips. Back country roads are fun at slow speeds.

I see a corbin seat ( not my favorite ), drilled out stock exhaust, frame bars, fake carb covers, looks like progressive shocks in the rear. Looks like skull hand mirrors, swing arm caps, mini turnsignals, brake light led.

Other than that I don't really see any major mods. The carbs are most likely stock since the exhaust is stock. Those are probably the two things people mod first for performance. Next seems to be suspension. Then brakes. The forks could be upgraded internally, but that would have to be taken apart to see. Tires?

$4500 is alot for that bike I would say. Unless its SUPER clean, I would say $3500 is probably more in the ball park for it. If the tires are new, fork seals are new, battery, things like that, MAYBE $4000.

Good luck!

Almost unchanged in those years except for colors and a couple electrical things. The fork upgrade was in '92. The CDI box and harness were changed in '90.

Gen2 started in '09.

It is a completely different bike. Way more power. Way stiffer frame. Better wheels/tires. Stiffer forks. Totally different (and bigger/more powerful) motor. Even less tank range. Modern electronics. Fuel injection. Etc, Etc.

Handling compared to what? If you're used to riding any modern sportbike, it will feel like a bit of a pig as it's setup. You do get upgraded shocks and frame braces, which help the feel some on the one in the picture. Your Corbin seat may or may not be to your liking. I like mine. If your passenger likes a nice wide seat, they will like it, better than a stock seat.

Thanks very much man! That helps A LOT. I had the 1993 and it was great for me then, 10 years ago when I wanted crazy power and straight speed, and a flashy look. But now, I'm more interested in putting around town and casually in the countryside, half the time with my wife on back. I'm just not sure a Gen1 is the bike for me. Wish I could afford a Gen2 because from everything I've been reading, they are a much smoother ride.

Welcome to forum Brian lots of good reading here ! This bike turns out not to be yours there will alway's be another that pops up but in the mean time read some past threads and use the forum to help make your mind at ease when buying and owning !! Jamie

Depending on how far you want to travel to get one, you can find better deals out there. There was one in PA for $2500 that had full UFO exhaust, stage 7 carbs, big windscreen, sissy seat and six pack rack and a few other well placed mods. I think it had 20,000 miles on it.

So they are out there.

Hi everyone! Just joined this forum.

In 18 hours I'm supposed to go buy a 2003 Vmax but I don't know much about them! I have some questions I hope you can shed light on?

1. What year did "Gen 2" start? (I'm assuming a 2003 is NOT a Gen2)

2. I read that the Vmax is not comfortable for long rides for the passenger ... BUT is it comfortable for say a 5 hour ride for a single rider?

3. How does it handle around town or 45mph on winding country roads?

4. Is there night and day difference between Gen1 & Gen2 Vmax? (why)

Here is a picture of the one I'm supposed to buy. I have not laid real eyes on it yet but here is the seller's picture of it. He says "Too many extras (Performance and Cosmetic) to list. Also have leather gear, helmet and parts."

5. It has only 11,000 miles on it. Do you feel that $4500.00 is a bad, good, or great price tag?

Thanks!
Hurry!
Brian

ps- my last bike was a low mileage 1986 Honda Shadow 1100cc. How does the 2003 Vmax compare to it as far as comfort on long trips?

I have done some 300+ mile rides on my Woona, and it is a comfortable bike for me. The one time I took a passenger on a long ride on her, she (the passenger) had zero complaints as well. (Woona was jealous though, and tried to throw me on my next long ride, just because she is a cantankerous biotch.)

I find that the Max does just fine at 45mph, though she seems a LOT more happy when doin 70+

Though I have not yet ridden a 2nd Gen MAX, I hear the difference is worlds apart. The 2nd Gen bike is supposed to be very well sorted, while the 1st Gen bike is a cranky bitch that will try to kill you no matter how much you love and respect her. (seriously, they place an engine rated at 140hp into a frame and suspension designed by Slinky)

Compared to the 1100 Shadow, I would say for most people, the Honda would be a much better choice for any long distance rides. My big complaint about the 1100 Shadow is that the pegs are way too forward for me. That is one of the things that makes the Max as comfortable for me as it is. My feet are right where they need to be for my comfort.

Actually, the Corbin seat, at least in my experience, will help in the long distance department. It is firmer for short runs, but that firmness keeps its shape over the long run making it pretty comfy all day long. I think the price has as much to do with your market area as anything else...if you've owned one before, then I'd think you know what you're getting into...

Went and saw it. Rode it. Didn't buy it. Told him I needed to think about it. It was "custom" painted by him in what he called flat black, but it was a black with a green in it, kinda like army camo is the best I could describe it.

He said it always takes 5-10 minutes to warm up and be ready to ride? Is that normal?

5 mins.... I am so used to fuel injection now that the vmax seems to take forever to warm up.

But in reality what he is probably saying is it needs a carb rebuild.

There are good bikes out there, just have to look and let us know the distance your willing to travel.

OK so you're all going to laugh at me, because I ended up buying a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard 800cc. Took a picture of it below for you. It is in mint condition with 2900 miles on it. Couldn't pass it up for $3,300 WITH windshield, WITH saddle bags, WITH sissy bar and luggage case, new tires. Shaft driven, fuel injection, great gas mileage. And will be good for 2 up with the wife.

The reason you'll laugh is if some of you know this bike, it's kinda known as a "beginner's bike" and "the plastic bike" because they cut a lot of corners to keep the price down by having more plastic parts than usual bikes have, albeit with chrome plating, haha.

Anyway, I bought this bike to hold me over until the 2009 Gen2 Vmax prices drop to around $8,000. Right now they seem to run from $10,000 - $13,000 which I simply cannot afford.

Also, me showing all you this Suziki is in no way meant to disrespect this awesome Vmax forum. Just wanted to let you know that at this point in my life, and in my geographical area, I got WAY more bike for the money than any Gen1 Vmax I could find.

But my goal is a Gen2 as soon as I can find and afford one!

Attachments

• 2006Boulevard.jpg
    2006Boulevard.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 54
Ah heck don't feel bad about riding what you like, if it takes gas and oil it's all good to me, heck I was riding around on BeeKeeper's 5hp Briggs and Stratton mini bike yesterday that was a hoot ! LOL then we jumped on our v-max's and went for a long ride ! great day :)

:rofl_200:Holy crap Tom let you take one of his baby Bee's for a ride WOW he must like you a'lot Scuff.

That looks like a super nice clean bike. And I agree for what you got there, it will serve your purpose a lot better than a Gen 1 Vmax will if you want to do some traveling.

Congrats

Latest posts

Back