"The Elephant In The Room"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chug4life

Reaction score
You have to admit that's the best way to describe the feeling when you pull up to the local car/bike hot spots, EVERYONE can hear you coming LOL.

Here's how "The Shining" sounds just factory settings

Last edited:
Yrs back I had a 96 with Stage 7 & Kerker 4/2/1 , pulled into a Quaker Steak & Lube near me needless to say everyone stopped looked and listened . Mr Max had made an impression , was like that each time I went there ,made me laugh but it was Fun

You have to admit that's the best way to describe the feeling when you pull up to the local car/bike hot spots, EVERYONE can hear you coming LOL.

Here's how "The Shining" sounds just factory settings

I've never seen nor heard a bike on a center stand sound so mean!

If you want to ratchet it up a bit more link the right side sync spigots together and the left side sync spigots together (don't forget to 'T' In the vacuum advance tube on the left side). It's an old Venture trick...no performance advantage that I know of but sounds cool.

If you want to ratchet it up a bit more link the right side sync spigots together and the left side sync spigots together (don't forget to 'T' In the vacuum advance tube on the left side). It's an old Venture trick...no performance advantage that I know of but sounds cool.
How does it change the sound and why? Thanks.

Something to consider, it makes it more-difficult to synchronize the carburetors, if you do the Dynojet Stage 7 link-together of the two left and the two right carburetor VBoost sides. The easy way to link them is to unplug the VBoost electrical connector, the round plug inside the left scoop, when the key is first turned-on, and the stepper motor for the VBoost cycles-open the butterflies, and then they close. Unplug the connector when the butterflies are opened. Presto, you get the 'cool idle' quality, and to synch the carbs easily, you just re-plug the VBoost motor electrical connector.

What you've done, is to eliminate the function of the VBoost. You don't get that near-6K rpm beginning 'push' from the gradual VBoost butterflies opening, allowing more air/fuel to each cylinder.

4716.001.qxd (dynojet.com) #6 in the instruction sheet tells you to replace the VBoost with the Dynojet manifolds, two simple pieces of tubing they supply in their kit.

Last edited:
My favorite thing about my max and the full race UFO exhaust is that when I pull up next to any HD.... They stare.... Look at rear of bike... And if they make eye contact with me the look straight down. They don't Rev their pipes at all. They usually just turn off and slowly go down the road shifting at 1500 rpm lol.

When I was in Jamestown couple months back.. All the Harley's were constantly revving their bikes. When I started up my vmax they just stared and started talking to each other and got closer to my bike. I didn't have to Rev it or draw attention.... They knew it was something different. People can't hardly believe when I tell them it's pretty much stock with air filters, jetted carbs, and exhaust (stock cams etc).

Buddy on a Road Star was cruising with me and his bike sound great Bubs Rinehart long shots.... When he was behind me and I whacked in 2nd and 3rd gear he just giggles and said he is looking around the area for a 1970 Chevelle with big meats on the back because my bike sounds more like a race car than a bike.

Every time I pull into a parkinglot, bike show, etc... People just stare and walk over.

The set up on mine isn't so loud, which I prefer, until higher revs. It then sounds like an F1 race car 🙂

Ok, I gotta do this... They already sound great. My carbs are synchronised great now, will I need to do it again? Will this change the sync? Probably a dumb question. But at least I am good at something...

Back