The GPS thread (Sat Nav & Speed Detector, Garmin & Tom Tom etc.)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gasem

Reaction score
I don't think I need to explain what the subject matter should be in this thread.

By placing all GPS info in one thread it will make it easier to do a search for it later.

Just wondering what ya'll are using out there on the Max or in your car.

I just purchased a Garmin Zumo 550 which comes with a car and motorcycle kit.

They aren't cheap but they make traveling SO much easier. I plan on using it to go to Thunder this year.

Feel free to post pics of your mounts and anything else GPS related in this thread.

I will post mine once mounted and tested. :thumbs up: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414

Cheers,
Chris

I use GPS for work to find a lot of stuff. I use my laptop in the truck with microsoft streets and trips with gps locator. I think the program is majorly flawed and could have a lot of things to make it much easier to use such as when entering a stray gps coordinate being able to give it a name right there instead of having to put a push pin next to it and name that. I completely rely on this when i work on natural gas pipelines. they give me hundreds of gps coordinates to different locations and i have to be able to find them. Ive been wanting to try different programs but just havnt had time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for starting this thread. I'd love to get a GPS for my bike, but I've been holding out for a wristwatch-sized one...with bluetooth. Yeah, Dick Tracy. :eusa_dance:

Haha, me too. I'm also waiting for portable fazers that I can mount under each scoop.

Mark

Haha, rock on. Is that Darth Vader or Dark Helmet. The rumor around here says that the Scwartz is stronger than the force.

Mark

Haha, rock on. Is that Darth Vader or Dark Helmet. The rumor around here says that the Scwartz is stronger than the force.

Mark

Not sure about that Mark, but I bet my Schwarts is bigger than your Schwartz... :whistlin: :rofl_200:

:rofl_200:

We can compare....hopefully we won't get 'em twisted! :wkwk:

lol

Mark

i use a garmin. i joined the 200 mph club last month in my 2006 Ford GT :icon_jook:

Attachments

• 4-23-2007-01.jpg
    4-23-2007-01.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
I have 2 Garmin GPS units, an Etrex Legend and a StreetPilot 3. I only use the Extrex Legend on my bikes since it is waterproof, fairly small and takes a good beating. The first couple of pictures show the unit and the Ram mount with the 3 inch extension arm. The next 2 pictures shows the mount that bolts to the handlebars with Ubolts. I swap this piece back and forth between the 2 bikes. The last picture shows the "hidden" cigarette lighter I wired into the VMax to power the GPS. I found a wire in the headlight shell that I think was always hot, so the GPS would still be powered when the bike was turned off to gas up.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
I have a Garmin 76CSx and a Magellan eXplorist XL. I mainly us them for sledding but this year bought a mount for the bike. I have converted my tracks and waypoints into a map of the snowmobile trails that installs like any other Garmin product. This pic is of my sled with the XL and my old emap on it.

Attachments

• DSC03043.JPG
    DSC03043.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 6
Ok all... Got it installed on the SV and of coarse the cars. I am thinking about buying another kit to install it on the Vmax too.:ummm:

On the SV I used the method of bolting it right to the clutch clamp. The unit came with some longer bolts which were correct for the SV so it pretty much bolted right on. I ran the power wires back to where I hook the battery charger and crimped on a connector to plug right into it. This way I don't have to have another item hooked directly to the battery. I am running out of room in the battery compartment.
crazy.gif

Tested it and it works great!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

See pics!:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_2169.jpg
    100_2169.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2170.jpg
    100_2170.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_2171.jpg
    100_2171.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
Well I ordered the RAM mounts for the Vmax as well... Should look ok on there...

I found a site that gave me ALL the the Yamaha dealers addresses as P.O.I.'s for the U.S. Pretty cool actually... Where ever you are in the U.S. it starts with the one closest to you and goes up from there...:thumbs up: I installed an SD card into it packed with a bunch of MP3's... Now I need to order another card for me camera...:whistlin:

I hope to get the bike back together so I can actually try this thing out...:drool:

Jon Cornel is kicking my ass with his lack of customer support...:bang head:

Back