The IGNITECH TCI thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MAP sensor stopped working. I found one that works well with the Ignatech unit. A MAP sensor from a 96 Corvette 350 LT works well. It was available right off the shelf. I had to break off some tiny plastic tabs on the female plug side, because I was going riding and not being denied. The plug still fits very snug. With assistance from Eric (answering my many questions, sometimes redundantly) I
got the software set with a Dyna #2 curve. The results will be left to the Dyno, but seat of the pants wise? She blast through the gears. Throttle response is the best it's ever been. Happy camper here, and much thanks again to Eric (Traumahawk) for all his post, video, and individual help. Gary has also been a big help to us. Introducing the Ignatech to Vmax and Venture Nation and patiently fielding questions from many.
Steve-o

Glad that you liked it Steve. Always happy to help another vmaxxer out.

Eric

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

If it runs right then you aren't going to hurt anything at all. Experiments can be fun and it sounds like you've got it running well for sure. The minimal change (5% could be another variable for that day) so no issue with that change at all.

Again problems here, bike feels sluggish time to time almost like missing one cylinder? Carbs should be OK, cleaned and no broken parts found, synced etc and I got spark on every cylinder, I'm losing my head with this one! Going to take it to local stealership if can't get it run like it should..
I have UFO exhaust, 150 mains, .20 shims stock needles, COPs kit and stock NGK plugs. Plugs seems pretty good, I think I have rather some electrical / mechanical problem rather than fuel problem.
Should I change something on these? I already copied Traumahawk's vboost curve as above, (thanks!!), rest is as it was on my .IGN file for gen1 vmax with Vboost and Cops.
Should I change advances or something?
Thanks!
IMG_2015_zpsg2z4hhaj.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsltpnxf8o.jpg.html

IMG_2013_zps63cf5f1k.jpg.html

I'm on my phone so couldn't see the pics that we'll. ...but I'm wondering if you have a pilot jet clogged? A lot of times it will feel like an electrical issue and like your dropping a cylinder. Do you know how to do a procedure called a shotgun?

Again problems here, bike feels sluggish time to time almost like missing one cylinder? Carbs should be OK, cleaned and no broken parts found, synced etc and I got spark on every cylinder, I'm losing my head with this one! Going to take it to local stealership if can't get it run like it should..
I have UFO exhaust, 150 mains, .20 shims stock needles, COPs kit and stock NGK plugs. Plugs seems pretty good, I think I have rather some electrical / mechanical problem rather than fuel problem.
Should I change something on these? I already copied Traumahawk's vboost curve as above, (thanks!!), rest is as it was on my .IGN file for gen1 vmax with Vboost and Cops.
Should I change advances or something?
Thanks!
IMG_2013_zps63cf5f1k.jpg.html

Can you verify if MAP sensor is functioning?

Gary

I think MAP sensor works, how do I check that? I got laptop hooked to bike today and atleast those bars (IAP / TPS) go like they did last season.

My plugs looked looked like this after about 50 miles, I got .30 shims at a time and as I got down to .20 shims there was no black stuff on electrode anymore (doesnt show on pic very well) and they were cleaner all over.

Sorry for the big pics, I got macbook recently and can't friggin use it correctly :ummm:

The TP---% bar on BIKE screen will show if MAP sensor is functioning, lower left corner of your 1st picture. If it is moving as throttle is cracked it is OK.

Gary

On mine when the sensor was bad. ..at idle....the iap bar would jump from 2...5....10%....all of the way to 100% and back again with me doing nothing. Also I pulled a vacuum on the sensor and couldn't make the readings change.

TPS bar jumped from 0 to 100 but IAP bar was steady at about 50 kpa(?) at idle.. Well I ordered that Corvette MAP sensor that was recommended last page just to be sure, american car parts are a bit hard to get up here so it takes little time to arrive, maybe next week.

If you select IAP, you should have KPA in Advance map, i see Percents on your screenshot..??

If you select TPS with IAP sensor, readings are wrong and unsteady.

Pics were just examples from computer that what boxes I have checked etc, file was set to TPS by default. I have IAP programmed now, I take better pics straight from ignitech after I get that new map-sensor installed. Bike started acting up in last fall when I ride it to storage for winter, I thought it was just gasoline stabiliser that I had put in tank but no, seems to be something else. Just like dropped one cyl in lower rpms then too, then woke up with a good throttlehand twist.

With it dropping one cylinder.....and waking up when you twist the throttle.....it still sounds like a clogged pilot jet on one carb.

Here is what lvlhead described on his website.

Let me also add that this problem did not progressively get worse. It happened all at once, which made me think something else (ignition system) may have been wrong.
Symptoms:

Max ran like dog doo doo. Would run ok with choke on, but if you cut the choke off, it would seem like three cylinders running. Almost like a bad plug condition. A check of the plugs revealed maybe one fuel fowled plug. Changed the plugs and the problem still existed.

The bike made a lot of noise, but had no Cajones. I could have been passed by a slug.

It would often go SNAP, CRACKLE, POP right off of idle, but get her up in the RPMs @ WFO and it would seem uhh...ok.

What had happened was a plugged circuit in my carburetor(s).

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Below is a pic telling which part of the carb is used at what throttle position. A/F screws control from 0-4000 rpm, and about the first 1/8 of throttle position or so.

Attachments

• carbcircuits.jpg
    carbcircuits.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 27
If you select IAP, you should have KPA in Advance map, i see Percents on your screenshot..??

If you select TPS with IAP sensor, readings are wrong and unsteady.

If IAP is selected on the Miscellaneous tab, all other tabs then switch to IAP.

I am running version 140905a of TCIP4 software.

In my opinion, differences between IAP & TPS outputs are negligible if the TPS setting is used with a MAP sensor.

I have an actual TPS and a MAP sensor that I can interchange on TCI adapter cable, requires a programming change to reset voltages though.

Gary

I couldnt see any difference using TPS vs IAP. I just use IAP...because its easier to wrap my mind around with it actually seeing pressure.

Didn't work for me, if i choose TPS with IAP sensor connected, bad results and erratic software readings..
Since i had a Vboost vacuum controled setup, it was opening and closing erraticaly too.

It surely requires new voltages setings...

With a more conventionnal RPM Vboost setup, it could be fine.

How did you set voltages Thor? I did this when I had sensor as TPS, not sure if its same kind of procedure. I have now pre-setted voltages from CD that came with wire harness, I didnt change nothing just chose IAP. Going to do shotgun and then fiddle more with this when I get new map, probably old is fine though. Then its time to take it to pros, local dealer has dyno too so they can make it run good, I think.

Back