The man upstairs was watching over my buddy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two days ago, I was riding with my friends Seth and John. It was a beautiful day in the mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky. John hadn't rode his Harley Sportster since last spring and Seth and I had been on him hard to get his ass on it again. All three of our bikes are kept in my garage and they both showed up around 1'oclock so we could let our bikes drink for a few hours. John always rides with a half shell helmet and hasn't had a full face on for 14 years. Somehow or another I convinced him to wear one of my full face ones after reminding him how he almost had his chin ripped off in car crash last year. I led them on a twisty narrow country road cruise through Page County and into an area known as Fort Valley....also twisty. As I was winding through the curves a little ahead of them I passed two cars as I was coming out of a pretty sharp hair pin curve and I thought to myself, damn I hope they slow down for this curve with those cars coming. Well, they didn't. John's Sportster couldn't handle the curve at the speed he was going (40-45mph) and the rear tire kicked out. He slid and rolled for about 50 feet before coming to a stop in the middle of the lane as his bike slammed off the front wheel of first car I passed and then slid along side of him. Seth was riding pretty close to him on his YZF-600R and braked extremely hard with too much front brake and the rear wheel came off the ground before he could get stopped just feet before running over John as he was rolling. How Seth got that bike stopped in time on that curve without crashing is beyond me. Thank God, John was ok except for some road rash on his legs and arms (jeans and 2 t-shirts) and extremely sore. The miracle part.....90 percent of the damage on the helmet was on the front chin guard and the face shield. If he would have had that stupid half helmet on, he would have been seriously messed up as his jaw was sliding down the asphalt. I don't know what made me try to convince him to wear that helmet and I surely don't know what made him put it on but I do believe the man upstairs was looking out for him a little.

Glad everyone is OK. I never worn anything but a full face snell rated helmet.

I see more people in FL wearing no helmet than wearing one since they repealed the helmet law. Stupid people. Especially when I see a sport bike rider doing it, no excuses! The cruiser people, well, they just do what they want anyway. I don't care if it's 90* out, I wear an armored ventilated jacket and 95% of the time, riding boots. I always wear gloves.

Glad you convinced him to wear the helmet. It could have been much, much worse.

Very common to have that type of damage after a crash.....when sliding face down or rolling.

That's why I always wear a full face helmet.
I can't afford to get any uglier! :)

Glad to hear he's OK.

Mark you definitely can't afford that ! ;)

Yeah I gear up and usually have full leathers including pants.

Now if I am on the cruiser, I might not wear full leather pants just jeans. But still wear everything else.

I am guilty though of shorts and a t shirt riding to work which is a long 1/2 mile to the shop....

Typically i wont either. I bought an LS2 shell helmet last year and i only use it when im in a slow parade like Rolling Thunder or the parade in Johnstown PA for Thunder in the Valley. But i wear my full face helmet riding to and from the parade.

Wow, glad you guys come away together in peace. Sorry to here. I few days ago I road with a group of riders mix with sport bikes. Out on a long country road 1 lane freaky 2 guys on the sport bikes shot right pass very close to clipping my handle bar and 2 other bikes, when we all came to a stop I had some not so nice words with the sport bike riders. 1 sport bike rider said come on pops back off - I no how to ride sorry gee, I lift the group and did my ride. I was at about 60 miles in hour the sport bike riders had to been at least doing 90 to 100 or better.

Glad you guy's are ok.

Sorry to hear this George hope your buddy learns and will wear proper attire .. Now on to Seth ask him did he toss his underwear or just clean them when he got home ! Just glad all turned out with no major injuries . By the way if it's the road I'm thinking of it's a real nice with the leaves on for shade on hot day's ...

Latest posts

Back