VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, whats your thoughts on oil #21 ? Think it may make a Vmax clutch slip?

Your guess is as good as mine. With a name like LiquidMoly it sure sounds slippery. Kind of odd that it shows a 0 in the Molybdenum column in the chart though. I didn't have the liberty of having the time to read the whole article and don't really understand what all the #s in the chart really mean. I was just browsing the net for some info on NAPA premium performance 15-40 as I have access to it for free and wanted to try it out in some dirt bikes. According the the rankings of this article it makes me feel a little better about testing out a cheap oil.

Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 at less than $10 a gallon was the winner. Anyone tried it?

It is not synthetic but according to the article, based on composition, it performed as well or better than any other oil.

I know somebody said they're running rotella 5-40... Did the new T6 change formula with added friction stuff or something? I changed the old oil because I thought it was causing my slipping clutch due to being old and nasty. That helped, but the clutch would still slip after one heating/half a round trip. Changed it again, same thing. The friction plates may have been too far gone, but I don't really want to ruin another set of plates and gasket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I know somebody said they're running rotella 5-40... Did the new T6 change formula with added friction stuff or something? I changed the old oil because I thought it was causing my slipping clutch due to being old and nasty. That helped, but the clutch would still slip after one heating/half a round trip. Changed it again, same thing. The friction plates may have been too far gone, but I don't really want to ruin another set of plates and gasket.

I used to run it but I got nervous after they changed it so now I just run the Castrol 4T oil, 10/40 when cooler and in the summer heat 20/50 but the thicker oil does make it shift like even more of a tractor than what it already does....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so they did change it. I might just go get some older 3t or something and hide the newer stuff. Maybe someone else is still running it...

21 different diesel oils tested and ranked from best to worst. Note the position of the highly acclaimed Rotella 15-40 :stir pot:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf
Good thing my Vmax isn't a 6.7-liter ’07.5 Turbo Diesel truck (which is what those tests were from) or I might be worried.

And here's a Blackstone Analysis comparing
Column A, Dated 8/7/10= Rotella T 15w-40 (dyno)
Column B, Dated 4/10/10= Honda HP4 10w-40 (semi-synthetic)
Column C, Dated 1/23/10= Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic)

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...lla-T6-5w-40&p=2975080&viewfull=1#post2975080

Good thing my Vmax isn't a 6.7-liter ?07.5 Turbo Diesel truck (which is what those tests were from) or I might be worried.

And here's a Blackstone Analysis comparing
Column A, Dated 8/7/10= Rotella T 15w-40 (dyno)
Column B, Dated 4/10/10= Honda HP4 10w-40 (semi-synthetic)
Column C, Dated 1/23/10= Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic)

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...lla-T6-5w-40&p=2975080&viewfull=1#post2975080

Didn't think it would take so long for someone to stick up for the Rotella T :biglaugh:

I use Rotella T also, and have no complaints. I was running yamalube for a short while. Only complaint with yamalube is the price. I really don't think it makes too much of a difference. Change it regularly and you will be good to go.

A lot of members indicate they use some form/brand of diesel oil in their V-Max. These heavy duty oils can have excellent anti-wear properties and resistance to shear and oxidation. However, how well do they stand up to the high-rev environment of a motorcycle engine such as the V-Max, as compared to the relatively low-rev commercial diesel engine? Flow concerns or foaming?

I've tried both Rotella T and T6 with mixed results. Considering using Mobil 1 or Motul.

Would also like to use a better oil filter than K&N if one is available (cartridge type) for an older 1st Gen Max.

Ive always used Motul 5100 15w50 syn blend in all my bikes with no problems. Just purchased a 2012 max a few weeks ago and due for its first oil change. I have a diesel truck that uses Rotella and it works great. Its interesting to hear that some use Rotella for there bikes. I will probably stick to Motul since I know its history better.

oil change.

I getting ready to change my oil and was wondering what oil most of you guys and gals prefer and why?Heck while im asking about oil i might as well ask what brand filter you prefer.Ive always gone OEM but sometimes stock isnt the best.Thanks Guy

Re: oil change.

Yamalube 20w50. OEM filter, my engine has the cartridge filter.

Ive always used Motul 5100 15w50 in all my other bikes. Will be using the same on max.

I getting ready to change my oil and was wondering what oil most of you guys and gals prefer and why?Heck while im asking about oil i might as well ask what brand filter you prefer.Ive always gone OEM but sometimes stock isnt the best.Thanks Guy

i've merged your thread with our oil thread. please take a look at the 20+ pages of reading.

i use yamalube 20-50 with a K&N filter

lots of guys use rotella (dino) or even synthetic with the MA rating.

Let's talk about Oils...

First and foremost everyone who has a motorcycle with a "wet" clutch should ONLY be using a motorcycle oil designed for wet clutches, NOT and I repeat, NOT an automotive oil. Let me explain; back in the day, now we are talking 70's and 80's here, all of the oils were basically the same, but sometime in the late 90's the Automotive industry wanted more efficient and slippery oils. How did the oil manufactures do this, by more additives, chemicals that keep the molecules from sheering and chemicals that make the viscosity spread greater: we used to use 10w40 now we have oils that are 5w50, so to get this viscosity spread, more chemicals are added. The oils today for cars and trucks are way more efficient than oils back in the day, but they are not good for the clutch, not because of the "slipperiness" of the oils but the extra additives, these attack the material of the clutch plates, breaking them down and causing premature clutch wear. I have worked in the auto parts business for 18 years and had to know my oils. I had bikers and car guys wanting the right and best stuff for their babies, so I have talked with various oil manufactures on this (Valvoline, Mobil, Lucas, Royal Purple). I don't care what kind of oil you use, conventional or synthetic or the brand, you just need to use the right "type". It's your baby, give her the right stuff.

Just for the record:
Shell Rotella T 15W40 and T6 5W40 both meet or exceed JASO MA Standards for use in Motorcycles.

I highly recommend Rotella! As for a filter, I use the Bosch 3323 since its 1" longer and better filtration....its black too!

Just for the record:
Shell Rotella T 15W40 and T6 5W40 both meet or exceed JASO MA Standards for use in Motorcycles.

Latest posts

Back