VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Common oil questions about the VMax

Does those filters replace the stock one or are these for a spin on replacement ? :confused2:

Re: Q&A start_part 2

i use 4 qts with new filter thats ....sight glass is full with motor off tiny tilt to the left shows level in glass level is half way when motor is started Yamaha says 4 use 4

I am new to Vmax, just picked up a creampuff 94 with 10K miles so naturally I researching what and how to service. What I read in manual is 4 Qts total, 3.6 qt with filter change, I'm reading this as 4 qts @ initial fill after rebulid.:ummm:

Yes, 4 with a new engine. A lot of oil gets trapped in the cases. You can drain more of it out by removing the bottom bolt in the middle gear cover (the one with the copper washer on it). I don't usually worry about what little is trapped in there as it is thinned out in the fresh oil quite a bit.

There has been extensive testing done by MCN (motorcycle consumer news) and they found no real measurable difference in the various oils (though synthetic does not allow break in as well and is harder for the clutch to do it's job.)

Sean

I am new to Vmax, just picked up a creampuff 94 with 10K miles so naturally I researching what and how to service. What I read in manual is 4 Qts total, 3.6 qt with filter change, I'm reading this as 4 qts @ initial fill after rebulid.:ummm:
I'm sure 113 will pipe up but in case he doesn't :)rofl_200:)....He posted about having some trouble with the Mfg's. recommeded fill amount. He had oil leaking/dripping/seeping problems with too much oil using the recommended 4.02 qts. and now uses 3.5 qts. Read his post here.

I'm sure 113 will pipe up but in case he doesn't :)rofl_200:)....He posted about having some trouble with the Mfg's. recommeded fill amount. He had oil leaking/dripping/seeping problems with too much oil using the recommended 4.02 qts. and now uses 3.5 qts. Read his post here.
correct drained oil added 4 qts..few weeks later loosened drain bolt ..drained 15 16 0z into measuring cup before i could see the top of sight glass...oil catch stays clean now

I'm gonna dry hump this horse a little more:biglaugh:

The correct amount is how ever much it takes to fill it to wherever you want it in the sight glass after starting it and filling the filter, assuming you changed it.

I run mine at the very top of the sight glass, maybe a hair over.

My bike doesn't visibly burn oil but at 33,000 it does consume about 1/2 qt in 1000-1500 miles or so..........So I fill it to the very top of the sight glass, when I see the light on acceleration I know it's time to add a little bit, if I don't just change it again.

I'm sure running the crankcase that full probably is creating some "windage" in the oil pan and possibly contributing to a little higher oil consumption but I hate it when the light comes on even tho' I know it's no big deal..........

There is the posibility they machined the hole that the site glass fits into a 1/2" low? :rofl_200:

Re: What kind of Oil?

I run Yamalube, but the previous owner ran nothing but in the bike for 27K miles, no sense in switching with that many rounds on the bike.

I have friends that run Rotella 15w 40 diesel oil with great success.

Re: What kind of Oil?

What kind of oil do you use?

I found this article what do you think?

http://www.ufocycles.com/Ingo/tips.htm#a100

Mike W.

Check out the VMF links and look at the oil link I posted in there.

15W40 or the Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic works great and is as good if not better than M/C oil. Just stay away from energy conserving oils.

First of all, I would like to say hi, as I'm new here. I'm from The Netherlands and own a black V-max '94 for a couple of weeks now. My question is: I installed an oil pressure metre, and when I cruise it reads around 1 bar en when I go faster it goes up to around 3 bar. Are these the values it should read???

thnx!

1 bar = 14.5038 psi and 3 bar = 43.5114 psi

Anyone??? I don't have an oil pressure gauge. :confused2:

First of all, I would like to say hi, as I'm new here. I'm from The Netherlands and own a black V-max '94 for a couple of weeks now. My question is: I installed an oil pressure metre, and when I cruise it reads around 1 bar en when I go faster it goes up to around 3 bar. Are these the values it should read???

thnx!

1 bar = 14.5038 psi and 3 bar = 43.5114 psi

Anyone??? I don't have an oil pressure gauge. :confused2:

I think that is OK for a hot reading, what do you get at idle?

I think that is OK for a hot reading, what do you get at idle?

Idle is when your not driving and have the bike in free gear without giving gas right? when it''s cold somewhere between 1,5-2 bar and when the bike is hot it's like half a bar. In free gear, hot ,using the throttle it goes up to 3 bar (not giving too much throttle of course)

generally when reaching the right operational temperature and I ride from cruising to faster-style riding it stays between 1 and 3 bar.

Sounds about right but I like to see about 10lbs for every 1000 rpm. The stock pump and setup doesn't normally produce that much. It takes some aftermarket parts to do that.

Sean

Latest posts

Back