The one thing I miss about So Cal...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be something you grew up with. I wouldn't do that in a million years, And I drive for a living.

I'd do it, but I don't trust caged animals that much.

I'd do it, but I don't trust caged animals that much.

that's exactly my point. its not trusting my driving. it's having to trust every other driver in that line of traffic. Seen way to much to trust them.

So with the busiest freeways in the US you would sit behind a car while cagers texting are coming up behind you? If you were sitting between the cars then the texter would run into the the back or the next car.
If you have never been in the situation it would be hard for you too understand.
Do not knock what saves other bikers lives.

Must be something you grew up with. I wouldn't do that in a million years, And I drive for a living.

Actually I didn't; I was stationed at Edwards AFB in the mid '80s and lived there up until 1994. Lane splitting, if done correctly, is safe and like Jan and Casey pointed out keeps a cyclist from ending up a cager sandwich. Matter of fact, when I would drive, I'd keep a watchful eye on my mirrors and was always courteous enough to give cyclists extra room if I see them coming....now here in Kentucky, I have to sit behind traffic, keeping a watchful eye on my mirrors and giving myself that escape route, ie I'm prepared to split lanes if I notice a car coming up fast behind me.

So with the busiest freeways in the US you would sit behind a car while cagers texting are coming up behind you? If you were sitting between the cars then the texter would run into the the back or the next car.
If you have never been in the situation it would be hard for you too understand.
Do not knock what saves other bikers lives.

I do position my scoot to slip between cars if I need too at intersections and keep an eye in the rearview, even with a few cars on the road I always have an escape route and sometimes it might be between cars, but almost never need to execute the route. To save my ass, ok, yea. As a matter of routine, no way. Anyone that can do that trusts cagers far, far more than I. Take me with a grain of salt though because I cant wrap my brain around how anyone could enjoy riding these SoCal highways where splitting between rows of the worst drivers in the USA is your best chance for survival. Just the pure boiling seething, soul crushing frustration of it, day after day, defies explanation. I dont have to understand why anyone would put themselves through that risk and daily anguish but I digress, to each his own. Just saying that I have lived in So Cal and Seattle metro areas and I just dont see the appeal or what makes enduring all the people, crowds and intolerable traffic worth it. FuuUu-UUUUuuu-c-ck that!

I still love and respect my west coast Vmax and Venture brothers and sisters but I do absolutely not understand what makes a motorcyclist (or anyone) willingly choose it. I found it to be a terrible way to live and kick myself for wasting so many years on the coast, but again, thats just me and my inflated aversion to congested places. YMMV :punk:

I do position my scoot to slip between cars if I need too at intersections and keep an eye in the rearview, even with a few cars on the road I always have an escape route and sometimes it might be between cars, but almost never need to execute the route. To save my ass, ok, yea. As a matter of routine, no way. Anyone that can do that trusts cagers far, far more than I. Take me with a grain of salt though because I cant wrap my brain around how anyone could enjoy riding these SoCal highways where splitting between rows of the worst drivers in the USA is your best chance for survival. Just the pure boiling seething, soul crushing frustration of it, day after day, defies explanation. I dont have to understand why anyone would put themselves through that risk and daily anguish but I digress, to each his own. Just saying that I have lived in So Cal and Seattle metro areas and I just dont see the appeal or what makes enduring all the people, crowds and intolerable traffic worth it. FuuUu-UUUUuuu-c-ck that!

I still love and respect my west coast Vmax and Venture brothers and sisters but I do absolutely not understand what makes a motorcyclist (or anyone) willingly choose it. I found it to be a terrible way to live and kick myself for wasting so many years on the coast, but again, thats just me and my inflated aversion to congested places. YMMV :punk:

Back in the late '80s and early '90s, the politicians in California wanted to outlaw lane splitting, but it was the CHP motorcycle cops that fought to keep lane splitting legal. If you have lived and ridden in California, the rule of thumb I was told was that splitting lanes was legal if traffic speed was 0 to 35mph and the motorcyclist should be traveling at no more than 15mph faster than the flow of traffic.

Back in the late '80s and early '90s, the politicians in California wanted to outlaw lane splitting, but it was the CHP motorcycle cops that fought to keep lane splitting legal. If you have lived and ridden in California, the rule of thumb I was told was that splitting lanes was legal if traffic speed was 0 to 35mph and the motorcyclist should be traveling at no more than 15mph faster than the flow of traffic.

Thats not bad but I have heard about angry cagers opening car doors and cloosing the holes, if someone did that to me on top of the extreme anxiety I already feel in stop/go traffic im afraid I would react very poorly. Im sure I would buy a skinny ass SV 650 and split away. Im just grateful to no longer endure it, and I know SoCal is worse yet than Seattle metro. I rode in Seattle for many years and every day I hit the I5/405. I thougbt long and hard about how I had to change my life to never ever have to do that again. Splitting is not legal in WA and I did it at least once or twice a commute out of pure frustration and anxiety levels that would literally make my fingers numb and I could hear my ears throbbing. I was born in Whittier and I wasnt very old before I realized I did not belong.

So is this something west coasters enjoy, endure or just get used too? How do you cope? Ill bet lane splitting helps but in my perception its very high risk.

I spent my first 34 years in Texas where there's really not enough traffic to NEED lane splitting, then the last 15 hears I've been in the Valley just north of L.A. Lane splitting did not come natural to me, but I can see the value.

After a close call where I found myself pinched between two cars that drifted toward each other with me in between them, I decided not to be one of those riders that splits through traffic all the time. I am never in a hurry enough to risk damage to my bike or myself.

I don't really do it very often now with my current Max much due to the handlebar-mount mirrors which widen the bike a bit. When I do, it's either to zip up to the front of a line of cars at a light, or when traffic is moving slowly and it FEELS safe. There's a kind of 'vibe' you can get into where things just work, but you have to stay sharp since there are so many people who still are glued to their phones - even though it's now illegal to even hold your phone while driving. All the police in SUV's can see your phone in your lap and will write you a very nice ticket for doing so.

Every state should aggressively ticket drivers still stupid enough to touch a phone behind the wheel since it effects everyone on the road. Glad you found a good grove for it. I broke a sweat just watching lane splitting vids on youtube.

I've lived in northern california all my life. Tried to lane split at a stop light a few years back and a lady driving a Prius didn't like it and tried to run over me while I was stopped. Rode to southern california a few times and everyone there is used to seeing lane splitting and give you room. Except one old lady driving a Prius! Ran me under a tanker truck. Lane splitting is the ultimate adrenaline rush, but watch out for Prius drivers!

Latest posts

Back