The saddlebag thread!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Max

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if you have saddlebags, tell us what you have and how you like 'em, and please, attach a pic of 'em too!
I'm looking for some bags for a weekend rides etc, two saddlebags should do it. Riding two-up with original sissy and MaxGasser, so "throw-over" type of bags should go underneath passenger seat for a easier fill-ups. Any recommendations for a saddlebags?
These might be cool, anyone have these? http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/694/GranThrow-Over-Saddlebags

I like'm. So far I have not found a set that doesn't rest the right side bag right on the Hindle. So, my current plan calls for a pair of Pelican cases which will mount to a custom frame. The fun will be building the frame.

Universal soft bags- $100 and I love them. Makes the bike so much more useful. I had to find something suitable, and simple looking. I hate "flashy" over complicated panniers.

_DSC0628.JPG

Universal soft bags- $100 and I love them. Makes the bike so much more useful. I had to find something suitable, and simple looking. I hate "flashy" over complicated panniers.

So ... it appears that your right side bag rests on your pipe. Has this created any negative effects?

So ... it appears that your right side bag rests on your pipe. Has this created any negative effects?

My Kerker can sits even higher than that, I'd be lucky to get an asbestos ziplock sandwich bag on that side of the bike without it melting or catching fire :(

Chris.

Thanks fellas' I've had them for over a year and no ill effects.. TBH the muffler doesn't get hot enough to do any damage either.. I can easily put my hand on it after a long ride..

Here's another couple shots/angles.. They are top/side mounted. I removed the seat and connected them over the fender/under the seat, and then secured the bottoms of the sides down by the shocks.

_DSC0633.JPG

_DSC0641.JPG

_DSC0683.JPG

I have two sets of saddlebags. A small set of willie & max as seen on the pictures and a big set of stock ones from a Vstar classic.

They both are mounting the same way. They are bolted on the the bike using the upper rear shock mount and the stock signal light location.

These are older pictures of the bike with them on.

Mike

Attachments

• max1.jpg
    max1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 127
  • max2.jpg
    max2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 115
I love my Fatmax bags. They were a little pricey but in the end, they hold a ton of stuff, are easy to remove with only one wing nut and bolt and the lines look great on the bike. The best time was when I pulled into the track with them on. I got razed but I had an air pump, my rain suit some towels and water in the bags. After racing I pumped my rear back up to everyday pressures and put the bags back on and left. I also like the fact that I do not have to wear a backpack to carry things back and forth to work, that gets old real quickly. It's a little more challenging since I am limited to what I can wear while in uniform.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 133
Those tour masters do look great, might be a route I go in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure which kind of bags these are but I think they look pretty good. Mounted under then rear seat. They do rest on top of the exhaust, but it doesn't seem to effect them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402671958.965414.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402671958.965414.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402671971.980674.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402671971.980674.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 91
Those tourmasters come in sizes... which did you get?

They are the XLs I believe... big as they get. They won't work with the stock blinker locations, but maybe the smaller ones would. I did end up reworking the lace up tabs to get them pointing more straight forward instead of toed out. The below sketch is extreme but you get the idea:

I tried really hard to get them to work under the seat but with my lowered rear suspension and the bag size they would rest on the exhaust.

Back