The Saga of "Fits Me" (rant)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
I can't get this bike to fit me. I'm undecided between hiring a welder and selling it. The mods I need would likely be more than I have to spend.
I traded my Harley FXDX for this Vmax; I definately traded up. The Dyna, the most sporting model in the Harley lineup, was not only slow, but also I just couldn't stand the riding position any more. There were no rearsets for the Dyna and I can't stand my knees in front of me anymore. I just have to keep my feet under my hips, not out front. A sport-riding position, if you will. For what it's worth, the most comfortable bike I ever rode was a 1st-gen Bandit. Second is my own Concours (bought new in '06, 50k miles).

On my '02 Vmax I got first a used Corbin seat and then Boxenstopp's rearsets, the ones that put my feet furthest back. That much is very good, my weight is where I want it. But that left the stock handlebars which are not compatible with rearsets. Too high and too much pullback, I feel like my spine is shaped like a trained seal when I ride.

I got lucky and scored a set of 43mm clip-ons on Ebay for a song. I LOVED the way it felt while underway, but it was too much weight on my wrists and I couldn't see crap out of either the stock mirrors or bar-ends. What I liked was how far forward the clip-ons put me. What I hated was how far down they put me, because I couldn't turn my head.

Then just for shits and giggles I bought some galvanized pipe from Lowes and made broomstick bars. Nope, wrists can't handle that angle. So I put them in the vise and heated them and bent them to have zero rise and just enough pullback to put my wrists at a natural angle.
But it's too much like stock, still feel like my spine is curved up to reach the bars.

Then I tried a set of clubman bars, they have too much downward angle and were actually painful.

What else is there? Both the drag bars and the Superbike bars have the same problem. Maybe some Z bars?

I do like the bike a lot, I like the way the engine pulls and sounds, and I'm proud of my home-done pink paint job and polished scoops. Quite frankly I think I rode it best with the clip-ons, but how can I call it a good street bike if I can't see out the mirrors or raise myself high enough to do a head-check?

I have no car, I ride year-round. I have a good touring bike. I have a good commuter. This third bike, the Vmax, is supposed to be "cool" and fun. But the more I try to make it fit me, the more it fails. I feel like I'm repeating the story of the Harley.

Any suggestions? Should I have custom bars made for the aluminum clip-ons? I'm not in a place to spend much more on it. Otherwise I'm happy, the bike runs well and can carry enough to go camping, and the local sportbikers mind their manners when they see me on it. Cruisers don't even bother getting near it. Heck it's not even a fast Vmax, but it's fast enough for me...but it's literally a pain to ride.

Hmmm.MAYBE someone will FINALLY get somthing from my bar design and not just disreguard it!:clapping:

I bought some almost stock bars,then cut and welded them to basically mimick the stock bars flipped upside-down (minus the wrist destruction) and still able to clear the tank and scoops while turning. More lean then broomstick (and they dont destroy youre wrist) but a little less lean than clip-ons(so you can use your mirrors still)

I call them "Reaper bars"...to the best of my knowledge Im the only one running them becuase I had to make them.The upside of this is the bike is set to my measurments...so if youre not 6'2 with LONG arms you cant ride my bike comfortably.

Heres some pictures of them and I will be GLAD to share any info if I can help...

By the way is there any chance you have a link for your rear sets???

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 90
dude....do me up a set of them? How much to make me bars like yours?

I don't need to get up or back from stock, I need to go down just a little and out a lot....

The rearsets are in Boxenstopp's catalog. They are the first set you see in the catalog. They cost a WHOLE LOT and I had to wait three months for Joe to wrangle the German company into actually sending them. And the instructions were in German and I got a box of extra stuff that I don't know where it fits or what it's for, but the rearsets do work fine and bolted right up (had to drill one hole out bigger from the passenger peg mount, no big deal).

Here they are on the bike:

IMG_0936.jpg

I think you are on the right track, and do as GLB has done, and make your own bars. Grab someone to help you and sit on the bike in a position that comfortable for you. Then the other person can quickly bend up a template with a piece of wire, or anything else, to match where you feel comfortable. After that use the template to make your own bars.

CB, have you tried doing any "V Max mirror" searches? There are hundreds of different styles, there has to be one that will work for you somewhere, there are short stem, long stem, underslung.....on & on.

Along the lines that Buster was talking about. A good friend of mine when he was racing MX bikes made his own bars.

What he did was: he had this piece of flexible conduit. He'd bolt it up to the bike then bend it til he was comfortable. voila! bar template.

Then just bend up a bar and weld in the cross brace than he was done.

I'm thinking you can pick up a piece of conduit on the cheap at lowes or other supply store.

If it was me i start with your saddle and get rid of the corbin BRICK,and get your stock seat redone by Sean, I have not heard of anyone not satisfied with his seat. The seat will give you a sense of sitting in the bike rather than on top of the bike also drops you in the saddle and you may be fine with your other bar options and mirrors. JIM

We have already been there. I think Jenn must have some very unique anatomy that this bike apparently just doesn't work well for. I don't know that you will ever be happy with the bike Jenn. You've tried about everything that can be done. I think Gem Mar does make sportbike clip on bar adapters to help change the profile a little but I'm not sure it will make it feel any better for you anyway.

Sean

Looks like I'm hunting for a local welder, then....

And I love that Corbin. The last thing I need is to sit any lower, although Sean's seats look fantastic compared to stock.

Yeah just buy some mini-apes at any local bike chop and cut them. From there lean where you feel comfortable forward and make the bars come to you.Dont kill yourself tryin to MAKE them work if they dont.

Tack weld them in place and feel em a little until you like where they are then weld em up!
I would do it for ya but its truly a tailor fit project,you would have to be hare or me there to make em right.

It would be that way, wouldn't it...with yall on complete opposite ends of the country. Never convenient....hehehe:biglaugh:

Yeah all this talk of welding up custom bars is great, if you know how to weld and own a welder. I grew up in a welding shop but Pop would never teach me.

But, as a matter of fact, my riding buddy who helped me get my project KZ440 running (or at least a lot closer to running, stupid carbs) said he'd weld me up a set similar to Z-bars but like I need them, far forward. I think he's serious about it but I never get my hopes up too far. We'll see by this evening....

I didn't even know Heli made a set of bars for the max but take a look at these.

Heli is known by the touring and sport bike world for making bikes more comfy. I don't know if this will work for you but I wanted to be part of the thread...

http://helibars.com/product/v-max-04

OMG - the heli bars are about the ugliest thing I have ever seen! They look like they might function well though.

The convertible bars look like that will do what Jenn wants!

Sean

$300 for a set of bars? No way I can do that. They're a cool option for some folks I guess, but they're too far up and not far enough out for me.
I've been looking at the convertibars for months but they are far out of my price range too.
I'll likely pay a welder for this job...

It takes less than an hour to weld them up and grind them clean.If any self respecting welder charges you more than $100 for the job tell him where to stick it.

OMG - the heli bars are about the ugliest thing I have ever seen! They look like they might function well though.

The convertible bars look like that will do what Jenn wants!

Sean

Gotta agree which is probably why they are discontinued.

I have Heli's on my SV1000S but the bike uses clip-ons from the factory so they look like stock only taller and less angle in on the ends. MUCH more comfy but yeah... Pricey...

Chris

Back