The Venture final drive swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
I understand how it effects top end and the rpm range but I was just wondering how much there is to it. Do you have replace the whole shaft drive unit or is it more extensive than that. What would the costs amount to.

Thanks

Robbarrie

I understand how it effects top end and the rpm range but I was just wondering how much there is to it. Do you have replace the whole shaft drive unit or is it more extensive than that. What would the costs amount to.

Thanks

Robbarrie

After you get your back wheel off, there's four nuts that hold the diff to the swing arm. The drive shaft will probably come out with the differential. You use the Max drive shaft with the Venture diff. You will have to buy a shock stud or take the one off the Max diff and put in on the Venture. The older Venture diffs(87-93?) are already drilled and tapped for the stud. The newer ones will have to be drilled. If the drive shaft comes out with the diff, the easy way to get it back in the yoke at the universal joint is to drop your shocks so the swing arm can drop low enough to line up the drive shaft to the yoke.

The total cost could be as low as the price of the Venture differential. I havn't priced any lately but they were going for 150+ used on Ebay last year. You can order new from University Motors. Don't remember the price, but it wasn't that bad for brand new!

I did the swap and am glad I did. I commute 65 miles a day and it makes for a more relaxed ride on the freeway. It didn't improve gas mileage at legal speeds, but at 75+, I can get around 45mpg.:cheers:

Joe

Thanks Joe.

It sounds pretty simple. It find that I'm always looking for 6th gear. Can't get used to the high rpm 4000 at 100km/pr/hr. I know it isn't a problem, but I too agree it would make it a more of a relaxed ride. I'm not doing any 1/4 mile runs with it so if I can find one in the future I may do the switch.

Thanks again.

ratio is change from 3.66 of the vmax to 3.33 of the Venture. So a 10% change in rpm when comparing them. My overdrive (which requires gear replacement in the trans) gives a 20-25% change to just 5th gear.

Sean Morley

Sean

I imagine this is much more mechanically intensive. I'd try it in my dirtbike but I don't think I'd try it in the Max. I'd be in over my head I'm afraid.

( I haven't forgot Sean )

I do still plan on buying those parts from you if you haven't sold them already. It's just that money is tight, my wife is off for the summer, she works at a school, and as an EA she doesn't get full pay like a teacher does. We go through this every year, it's always tight so I'm trying to buy some time.

no problem (though I don't remember which ones they were - oops). I'm sure I'll have whatever you need when you are ready.

Sean

Latest posts

Back