Thermo Unit how-to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96BlackMax

Reaction score
Hi Guys- noo-b here and looking for some help. I have a 96 where the previous owner had installed a Koso gauge set which included a digital temp sensor. Long story but the tach (the whole reason you change this) never worked correctly, jumped all over the place so I decided to put everything back to stock. Problem 1, not as simple as I thought. I got everything almost back to normal but the temp gauge, the old thermo unit (thermo unit (11h-83591-00-00)) was replaced with a new digital one (also referred to as the temp sensor) so I have ordered the OEM one and should come in soon. My issue is I can't seem to find the wiring/plumbing that hooks into the OE thermo unit. I assume the previous owner either removed it, or hid it somewhere. I can't find anything on-line to show the rest of the plan, so if anyone knows what it's called, has a pic or a how-to, it would be much appreciated. Just need to know what gets affixed onto the thermo unit, and where it goes (so I can try to locate it). The current (new) sensor has it's own connector coming off of it, but that was disconnected when the newer Koso was removed. Any suggestions:ummm:

Post some pics of the setup and i think i may be able to help you. Sent you a message with my email. regards

... the tach never worked correctly, jumped all over the place

Just out of curiosity does it have CoP's fitted?

For the temp sensor you are looking under the RH scoop for a double connector with a Green/ red & black wires going into it. It may have been tucked behind the plastic backing plate?

Thanks guys- I did find the OE harness, it was taped behind the frame so I see now how it should be hooked up originally, just waiting for the thermo unit to arrive (and hoping the newer one that was installed didn't require tapping as that won't be fun, we don't want leaks). Appreciate the help.

And yes, it has the COP conversion as well.

Yep, mine had that as well, hooked on to the #1 cyl, and still no go. Would work ok for 10 mins, as soon as the bike was warm or you hit a bump, it would jump like crazy then stop working. Previous owner said to just play with the lead a little, it will settle down...yeah, right. I just wanted the thing to work, I guess I could have perfected one-handed riding, which in fact moved me down closer to the old tach anyway (LOL). Either way, moving on, back to original.

One other thing is my RES fuel switch now works as it should, so I guess the wiring with the RX2N was messing with it because the bike would only start in RES, not ON. Lot's of doinking around for sure, as the LED turn signals would only flash as 4-ways, so some digging on this forum, removal of the turn signal indicator bulb, and we are back in action. My guess is the LED signals were installed when the new gauge was added, and it has a L/R signal indicator, so now that the OE is just one, it was looping. I don't have the original signals so I will deal with this. At least they don't hyper-flash (resistors were added as they should be).

Funny, fix one problem, create 3 news ones...urrrghh!

Tach works well though (just can't see it)!

Latest posts

Back