These callipers , factory or modified?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
This 2001 Yamaha VMAX 1200 Jap Import Full Power has interesting 4 pot callipers.

Looks to me they are factory originals but with the outside castings for the pistons have been polished to look similar to R1. Was this done by the factory or someone did it themselves? The polished area is very circular, may be a shiny disc has been glued on?

Screenshot_20210124-203839.jpg

Agreed they are made to look like R1 but I am convinced they are not - notice the bolts = to hold the 2 halves together but R1 are cast in one piece so are drilled to fit the piston (whivh BTW can be popped out anyway) those holes are then filled by the annodised caps. Also from memory the hose attachment is different.

They dont look like the factory calipers though. On the factory calipers, there is a larger and a smaller bore......but they are connected. The calipers on the bike look like 2 different size bores.

Here are the factory calipers. 93-07s-l1600 (4).jpg

I think they are stock and the black between the silver is just harder to see. Someone added on stickers or decals.

I have those on my bike as well. Madmax Enterprises built my bike. It’s actually mirrors on mine. I’m looking for another set of them due to the ones on my rear caliper is broken.

Whatever they are they look nice.

No help for me. I’m stuck with the single piston early Vmax style for now... unless I upgrade.

When I bought this thing last year, I told myself it would be a budget machine and I would avoid messing with it.

Either I was delusional or I lied.

If I had a Cnc mill I'd machine them to like like the inserts on the R1, would only need to a couple of mm deep, assuming that the is sufficient metal to do that.

No help for me. I’m stuck with the single piston early Vmax style for now... unless I upgrade.

When I bought this thing last year, I told myself it would be a budget machine and I would avoid messing with it.

There is NO HOPE for the mod monkey sickness....LOL

Throw a 43 mm 1993-up front end on it, and you can easily upgrade to the R-1 early models' brakes.

Back