Thinking about a vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoology_dragon

Reaction score
Hey

I'm just about to get a new bike and I've always thought a vmax would be pretty cool. Trouble is the one I'm looking at is in a different city (and I don't know anyone who has one I could try out) so I would pretty much have to buy it without knowing if I like riding it or not. Or else spend a lot of money getting there and then not even have a bike.

So I was just wondering what people could tell me about them? It's a 1992 model. I've heard they are insanely fast/torque but don't really like corners. The not cornering thing is the only thing I'm worried about (having mostly ridden sports bikes in the past).

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

...I've heard they are insanely fast/torque but don't really like corners. The not cornering thing is the only thing I'm worried about (having mostly ridden sports bikes in the past)...

lowering the front end an inch or two, progressive rate fork springs (like Progressive Suspensions), or stiffer fork springs (like Racetechs), Cartridge Emulators, Progressive Suspension or Works rear shocks, torque bars, radials. any or all of these have been reported as making the vmax a master canyon carver that is able to keep pace with squids around corners.

frankly, as outlaws justice has shown us, cornering is really all up to the driver
_3905439188.jpg

lowering the front end an inch or two, progressive rate fork springs (like Progressive Suspensions), or stiffer fork springs (like Racetechs), Cartridge Emulators, Progressive Suspension or Works rear shocks, torque bars, radials. any or all of these have been reported as making the vmax a master canyon carver that is able to keep pace with squids around corners.

frankly, as outlaws justice has shown us, cornering is really all up to the driver
_3905439188.jpg

*Jaw drops* :worthy::worthy:

I have a lot to learn.

i hope theres no sand anywhere :biglaugh: Ats alotta bike ta be trowin' aroun

Let's get something straight - as per the video, the vmax is plenty good cornering at lower speeds.

The problem arises when taking turns fast - that is above 70mph/112kph. That's when the weight of the beast and 80s suspension, combined with the flexi frame, spindly swing arm and fat bias ply tires all contribute to a pretty wobbly, scary ride.

Common fixes are frame braces, solid motor mounts and braced swingarms. Also suspension upgrades are a must - better springs and emulators up front, and better shocks rear.

Then if you have money to throw away or one of them b****rds mod monkeys riding your wallet, bigger wheels allowing radial tires and modern upside-down forks complete the transformation into a much better handling bike.

But, if your riding the twisties includes mostly tight roads with speeds of 30-60mph, with faster blasts in the straights, then good ol' max handles itself admirably well.

The VMax's will do anything... All it takes is money.... After 37 bike's, they're the most fun bikes I've ever owned. I have one that's more for show "Strafer" but it's still an Awesome Ride and one for go "SkullDuggery". I ran with an experienced rider yesterday up to CaptainKyle's and back. 40 miles. My friend on a good running FZ1. His comment when we got back was: "Damn, That Thing's Fast". We went Ballistic about a dozen times and he said there were a few times that I just walked away from him no matter what he tried.

VMax's Rule....
Dave

I got about a year on a vmax know and I like it alot. Even more now that i have UFO exhaust and stage 7. But it will never corner as well as a rocket. However it will corner good if you get on the edge of the seat and drag your knee's. You just need to get to know the point of when the shaft drive will start to lightly hope. In the straight line light to light out of the hole from a dead dig and on out to a 1/4 mile it's one of the fastest bike's you can ride. And alot of fun.

I've had my '95 for a year now and it is by far the best bike to owne/ride/repair! I've had a SV650 and a 1100 Shadow and both fall very short of the Vmax. The rediculously valuable information on this site alone make taking care of the beast a simple chore. IMHO I'd go with a '93 or newer (bigger forks/brakes). Any year Gen1 will need suspension/clutch upgrades...after that it's all good!

Hey

I'm just about to get a new bike and I've always thought a vmax would be pretty cool. Trouble is the one I'm looking at is in a different city (and I don't know anyone who has one I could try out) so I would pretty much have to buy it without knowing if I like riding it or not. Or else spend a lot of money getting there and then not even have a bike.

So I was just wondering what people could tell me about them? It's a 1992 model. I've heard they are insanely fast/torque but don't really like corners. The not cornering thing is the only thing I'm worried about (having mostly ridden sports bikes in the past).

OK here is the truth about the 1st gen vmax:
1- Handles poor. even with radials tires that everyone is raving about.
2- Brakes poor even with R1 calipers due to it weight and small diameter rotors.
3- Too heavy and power to weight ratio sucks big time.
4- A money pit & you'll never be satisfied, some spend $10.000 then sell the bike for $5000.
5- Looks nice when parked.
6- Basically 1980's technology
7- Poor harness & a lot of electrical charging issues.
8- Only old farts with Dementia rave about it as being fast in the 80's
9- Super bad in curvy roads and very unstable at high speeds
10- from a 1200cc the engine produces 118 Hp while a 1000cc bike makes 130Hp at the wheel some even make 180hp from 1000cc .
Conclusion: its a big piece of S**t on two wheels.

Hey

OK here is the truth about the 1st gen vmax:
2- Brakes poor even with R1 calipers due to it weight and small diameter rotors.
4- A money pit & you'll never be satisfied, some spend $10.000 then sell the bike for $5000.
10- from a 1200cc the engine produces 118 Hp while a 1000cc bike makes 130Hp at the wheel some even make 180hp from 1000cc .
Ha, ha... well said. Also, it would probably be cheaper to support a crack habbit than it is to modify a vmax and once you start you will want to do more and more and more and.... Trust me. Having said that, my 06 in its current form is one of the more enjoyable bikes I've owned so far.

In all honesty, if you want one and always did then buy it. You can always sell it and get something else.

LOL that's hilarious.

Should be entitled "the 10 things we all know but will never admit about a Max"

Still, no other bike can even aspire to the 'cool factor', and it eats 600 crotch rockets for breaky between lights. Yay.

I think the vmax gets a really bad and unfair wrap when it comes to handling. It's really not a horrible handling bike in my opinion. It handles differently than pretty much any other bike out there and requires a certain level of confidence or testicular fortitude to really canyon carve but overall is much more capable than people realize. I think I saw Sean put it quite well the other day saying people really don't ride these bikes to their full potential.

Up here in northern Utah we have lots of epic canyons and I ride with mostly sportbikers . For the most part I can keep up with them on my stock 86 max. This summer when I get my go pro ill take some cool video

That said ill also say there is a lot of room for upgrades. I had someone on a newer gsxr call my 86 an old dinosaur. It's old technology to put it nicely but it gets the job done while being a blast to rose and is a huge conversation piece.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The inconvienient truth... Lol

Piece of crap keeps on failing but i don't see myself selling it.

That's a love story. Like a good wine getting better with time and attention.

My max got usually more attention than any modern bikes parked beside. I guess that's the result of the sweat and feeding the hungry monkey once in a while.

I have the feeling that the monkey is whispering to me when I sleep: "hey... Order a seat and a kit from Sean".... lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Well, firefly has a right to his opinion but from what he stated, he should have bought a crotch rocket and left the big bikes to big boys. I took the step myself in buying one site unseen or ever riden. I did my homework on the bike and was sold. The Vmax is big strong cruiser. When I am doing a 100 on the freeway, its smooth, stable and grabs the road. At a 100 its only tach 6000. As fas as 80's tech. That is not a bad thing. I have a Porsche from the 80's that will do 0-60 in 4.0 sec with a top end of 184 stock. Anyway, I like my bike. I just have is stock and quite happy with it. You go try and find a vehicle that can do a 100 and still get 35 mpg!!! Good luck

We all love our max with all its drawbacks & limitations but we tend to idealize it so much that we become blind & keep spending money on it. I like the bike but if I had rode the FJR before purchasing the max I probably would have bought the FJR.
The frame on max is a BIG handicap & no matter what you do in mods its still a puny tubular frame.
so for a guy asking about the bike I give my honest none biased opinion & let him decide, maybe he saw a bike in great shape for $1500 bucks then why not give it a try, but paying $5000 for a max is not worth it since one can get a much better bike for that money. now if you paid $11,000 for a new max like I did :( its not worth it at all :bang head: I recently bought a 2004 FZ1 a very ugly bike but very fast and smooth it puts max to shame in all aspects, parked beside my vmax the Fz1 looks retarded & very ugly.

I bought mine cause I wanted one. The plastic fantastics are a dime a dozen where I'm at. Firefly didn't say anything that was untrue. Its a heavy, 80's tech, turd of a bike. I've read tons of posts of people who bought them expecting them to run with the ZX's, busa's etc. In almost everyone of thier posts contain's the words "I expected more".

If your going to get a Vmax, get to know what it is. I find the thing fun to ride, cause it does take a little bit of skill to throw one of these heavy things around. It's not solid in the sweepers, but can be made better. Its not the top end monster, but you'll find that you can play in the 1/8th mile. With some mods, 9's in the 1/4 isn't unheard of, you can change a few things to get better mileage and to some touring with it. Not to mention the stories people will tell you about a friend of a friend's cousin who had one and 90% of those are entertaining.

Personally, I don't regret buying mine at all. Only downside I have found about the gen I Vmax is they are like the Rugar 10/22 of the motorcycle world, as you can modify them in so many ways, your wallet will explode. Some people go for speed, others a cruiser look, and a few bikes here and a bunch over seas that are just big and totally bad ass. Basically, a Vmax owner is a lot like a Harley owner. Sure there are better, lighter, faster bikes out there, but when it comes down to it, You ride a Vmax, because that's what you want to ride. My bike isn't going anywhere soon. It's fun to play around with and ride. To me the fun part is trying to come up with something new to do with it.

Latest posts

Back