Thinking about a vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best part of the VMax is that a dedicated group of people love it enough to keep it relevant in an era of $11K 600 sportbikes and $16000 1000's. Many people spend more than twice that last figure for an Italian piece, which is superseded in a couple of years, and then you're lucky to get 1/2 of what you paid for it in four years.

Spend $4K on a VMax, spend another $4K in mods to make it perform better, and we'll see in five years who gets the people coming around in the parking lot to check it out, the 5-yr. old Italian "once was king," or the 1980's tech VMax. Where the Italian sportbike is a pain in the backside, literally, the VMax will put a smile on your face every time you start it and stretch the throttle cable.

I know, because I looked to buy an 851 Ducati or a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000 4-valve before I decided to skip them both and buy my '92 VMax a year old, w/1700 mi. on it (I went w/cash in my pocket to see each of those, and came home w/it still in my pocket). Twenty years later I have never regretted not buying Italian. If I want Italian, I go to Carrabba's or the deli.:biglaugh:

First time Vmax owner but die hard fan of it since it was launched I was a teen then. Yes I waited maybe a bit too long( for many reasons other than the bike's abilities ) . But now that I have it I wish I had never waited at all... I also ride a FZ6 which is kind of a sports bike. I am getting used to the V and the more I ride the more I fall in love with it... just my 2 cents...
Good Luck and hope it all works out for you.

I started riding bikes at age 16. Mostly sport bikes R1 GSXR1000 ZX9 and in between I got a 97 vmax. I sold it when I bought a house. Big mistake. I bought a few more crotch rockets then the older I get my wife wasn't a big fan of them. I bought a 06 brand new for $8000. And my wife loves it. It's like having the best of both worlds. A cruiser that screws. I just put progressive shocks and a frame brace with a pipe and now I want to change springs in front and do some carb work. To finish her off. out of all the bikes I've owned and I've had quite a few my eliminator 900 and vmax where my favorites. Don't get me wrong my 2002 R1 was impressive but all in all at age 37 I am very happy with my baby. And I like modifying it little by little to my taste and everywhere I go people stop and comment on her. I would do it all again in a heart beat. My goal is to try and get a genII and keep my genI and maybe my wife could ride with me.
She puts a smile on my face every time I ride her!!!!!!! They are not for everybody you need a little skill to ride her and that's the challenge I look forward to every time.
Not to mention all the other people I have met with vmax's are great people. This site makes it easy to work on her. The knowledge from the people on here are 2nd to NONE!!!!!
Theres my 3 cents :eusa_dance:

I bought mine cause I wanted one. The plastic fantastics are a dime a dozen where I'm at. Firefly didn't say anything that was untrue. Its a heavy, 80's tech, turd of a bike. I've read tons of posts of people who bought them expecting them to run with the ZX's, busa's etc. In almost everyone of thier posts contain's the words "I expected more".

If your going to get a Vmax, get to know what it is. I find the thing fun to ride, cause it does take a little bit of skill to throw one of these heavy things around. It's not solid in the sweepers, but can be made better. Its not the top end monster, but you'll find that you can play in the 1/8th mile. With some mods, 9's in the 1/4 isn't unheard of, you can change a few things to get better mileage and to some touring with it. Not to mention the stories people will tell you about a friend of a friend's cousin who had one and 90% of those are entertaining.

Personally, I don't regret buying mine at all. Only downside I have found about the gen I Vmax is they are like the Rugar 10/22 of the motorcycle world, as you can modify them in so many ways, your wallet will explode. Some people go for speed, others a cruiser look, and a few bikes here and a bunch over seas that are just big and totally bad ass. Basically, a Vmax owner is a lot like a Harley owner. Sure there are better, lighter, faster bikes out there, but when it comes down to it, You ride a Vmax, because that's what you want to ride. My bike isn't going anywhere soon. It's fun to play around with and ride. To me the fun part is trying to come up with something new to do with it.

+1, it's a choice and an attitude :punk:

i bought mine cause i wanted one. The plastic fantastics are a dime a dozen where i'm at. Firefly didn't say anything that was untrue. Its a heavy, 80's tech, turd of a bike. I've read tons of posts of people who bought them expecting them to run with the zx's, busa's etc. In almost everyone of thier posts contain's the words "i expected more".

If your going to get a vmax, get to know what it is. I find the thing fun to ride, cause it does take a little bit of skill to throw one of these heavy things around. It's not solid in the sweepers, but can be made better. Its not the top end monster, but you'll find that you can play in the 1/8th mile. With some mods, 9's in the 1/4 isn't unheard of, you can change a few things to get better mileage and to some touring with it. Not to mention the stories people will tell you about a friend of a friend's cousin who had one and 90% of those are entertaining.

Personally, i don't regret buying mine at all. Only downside i have found about the gen i vmax is they are like the rugar 10/22 of the motorcycle world, as you can modify them in so many ways, your wallet will explode. Some people go for speed, others a cruiser look, and a few bikes here and a bunch over seas that are just big and totally bad ass. Basically, a vmax owner is a lot like a harley owner. Sure there are better, lighter, faster bikes out there, but when it comes down to it, you ride a vmax, because that's what you want to ride. My bike isn't going anywhere soon. It's fun to play around with and ride. To me the fun part is trying to come up with something new to do with it.

+1

I wanted a VMax ever since I first saw one in 1986, as a very impressionable teenager. I come from a family of bikers so got my bike license before my car license. Did the sensible route with bikes (125, 250, 550, 750, 1000) before I found the Max I wanted, took it for a test ride, scared myself silly and just handed the cash over, no haggling, nothing, just give me the keys please.

I have had other bikes since but, as I keep reminding the better half, they will always be an "aswell as" never an "instead of", and have ALWAYS got rid of them soon after getting them as they just didn't feel right.

I can honestly hand on heart state that I will never be without a Vmax again, feck I will probably be buried with mine, it gets you that much.

Last point of my warblings....what some people call fault, others call character and by god does the Max have character.

Personally, I don't regret buying mine at all. Only downside I have found about the gen I Vmax is they are like the Rugar 10/22 of the motorcycle world, as you can modify them in so many ways, your wallet will explode. Some people go for speed, others a cruiser look, and a few bikes here and a bunch over seas that are just big and totally bad ass. Basically, a Vmax owner is a lot like a Harley owner. Sure there are better, lighter, faster bikes out there, but when it comes down to it, You ride a Vmax, because that's what you want to ride. My bike isn't going anywhere soon. It's fun to play around with and ride. To me the fun part is trying to come up with something new to do with it.

Kj, you put into words the sentiment that I wish I knew how to. Everywhere I go I receive awe-filled wonderment and awe-shucks compliments. I do every once in a while receive "why did you get that?" and "you should sell it and get something like mine" or "get something newer--less headaches" kind of advice. But they typically come from folks who haven't driven one and if, otherwise, would/could understand my passionate addiction with the unbridled, hooliganistic thrill of riding, the love-to-hate/hate-to-love of maintaining, and the guilty-pleasure of customizing a Max.

I couldn't summarize "what it is about a Max that causes us to wipe off the belittling facts and opinions, staying true and loyal to the bike" any better than what was said earlier--it's that attitude one embodies when strapping on the Beast.

I have absolutely no regrets.

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

When approaching a fork in the road , I like the road less traveled. Same for the Max . You just don't see many of them " characters " out there.

To me the Max is not a sport bike or a cruiser although it is considered a cruiser. When I first seen a Vmax I was taking small engine tech classes and fell in love right off the bat. And have over the years forgot about it to some degree because theres just not many of them on the road here in TN. But after long years of being without a bike I was getting that itch again so I started looking for my next toy . Well I lookied at everything I wanted the G's that come with a torquey bike. But all the (new) bikes are either slanted forward=the crotch rocket style,,,or laid back=the cruiser style, nowhere could I find a strait up and down riding bike and I seen for sale a VMAX ,,,I drove it and loved it!!!! I can beat most crotch rockets ,,,all cruisers and I am still comfortable,,not to mention I have an Iconic and lengendary bike. And with all the plastic crotch rockets out there today I wouldn't trade it for any of them.:punk::punk::punk:

ok...in response to firefly's thrashing of the Vmax...I'd say his comments are fair if you were comparing the Vmax to an R1 or some other "sport bike". The Vmax is a "cruiser", and within that realm it has been an over-acheiver for the last 25 years.

ok...in response to firefly's thrashing of the Vmax...I'd say his comments are fair if you were comparing the Vmax to an R1 or some other "sport bike". The Vmax is a "cruiser", and within that realm it has been an over-acheiver for the last 25 years.

+100:punk:

Latest posts

Back