thinking about parting out my gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
what do you guys think an 03 motor, wheels, bodywork, frame+title would go for?

i dunno the prices too well but im thinkin

motor 1500
carbs 300
wheels 400
frame+title 800
bodywork+radiator shrouds 500

im so sick of lowballs im seriously considering splitting this bike up in boxes.

yep

Attachments

• Matts new shiny vmax 483.jpg
    Matts new shiny vmax 483.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 95
heres an email i got

I'm not interested in buying it. Just trying to to help you along.

I recently sold two motorcycles on here to the first person that came and looked. They were both clean and stock for good money. One was a '06 DR-Z400SM with 28K miles on it for $2,500 the other was a '00 Bandit 1200 with 20K miles for $2,850. I then turned around and bought an extremely clean '07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 for $5,500 that had some nice options. The buyers are here, you just have to have everything priced accordingly. V-Max's aren't the commodity they once were. I've owned 2 of them the last 4 years.

im starting to wonder if hes right, maybe vmaxes are only worth 2500 :(

i had it listed at 5k and had a few hits, but noone ever showed up to look at it, had it at 3999 and had a guy coming to buy it for 3900 but he never showed, so now i have it at 4400 so hopefully i get some more hits on it. lol

theres a guy not far from me trying to sell his 02, i called him and chatted with him and hes not getting any interest either. weve both been posting since mid last year at least. we decided to stop eating each other on the price cuz noone is interested anyway.

i just dont wanna sell it for 2500 cuz thatll barely get me on a cb750(literally) and i cant get a magna for that.

I've seen pics of it Matt and I personally wouldn't part out a nice bike like that. Even trying to part it out you're still going to get the low ballers.This is the worst time of the year to sell a bike.Wait until it warms up a bit and some people start getting some tax money and advertise the crap out of it.....E Bay,Craigslist,what ever you got locally.JMO and good luck with what ever you decide.Mike

that is a nice looking bike, i dont know why you would want to sell it or part it out. good luck with whatever you do. would ya wanna sell me that luggage rack on the back of that sissy bar?

The engine is priced low as is the running carbs. Everything else is priced too high. It's a pain and time consuming to part them out but you can come out far ahead that way.

Sean

What's the mileage - $4,000 seems like about the right starting place. I just paid $3,500 for my '02 with 19k on it, all stock except for the OE Sissybar and windscreen - both of which are already listed in the classifieds on here. I considered that a fair price with the shopping I did, there are certainly older ones out there, but this one is in great condition, appears well cared for, and has all of the OE upgrades from over the years. It was listed at $3,999 and I was able to grind the dealership down some.

I agree with these guys, motorcycles are such seasonal items, you can't expect good money on them from November - March. Just like all the Camaro's I've had over the years, I try to buy them in the winter, enjoy them for a year or two, and then sell them in the spring when everybodies got their tax money and the itch for a new toy.

Parting it out probably would net you a bit more in the long run dollar for dollar, but it's definitely a bunch of work - not just turning the wrenches, but the packing and shipping is the annoying part to me. Besides, as an enthusiast, wouldn't you rather have somebody else enjoy the beautiful max you've put together?

CaptainKyle has had very good luck parting out bikes. However, he's not paying top dollar for them to start with. You will get stuck with some of the parts as there is a low demand for them. The wheels, lock set, air box, Controllers and relays. coils and a few other things aren't hot tickets.

Good Luck, But waiting a couple months may help you save a lot of time and effort, just selling the whole bike....

Dave

Don't part it out! Sit on it till the weather gets better, and you'll sell it quick as others here have stated. Bikes are like boats---seasonal, and hard as hell to sell in the off season! JMO

Id be interested in the scoops, side covers, even rad surround if you part.

i alrdy sold the shift light, k&N air filter, and luggage rack and backrest, im thinking the crash bars are gonna go next then im gonna get serious

Hey Matt

Unless you're REALLY hurting for the cash, I'd try to find a way to hold on to it. Keep her tuned up even if you aren't riding it much (at all). The bike is a classic - just imagine handing those keys over to your son in 20 years. My 2cents.. That said, I agree with others about trying to sell up until May or June at least before parting it. And THAT said, if you do end up parting, I'd likely buy some odds and ends off ya ;)

Yukon

Shame on anyone that wants to part out a perfectly good Max. I know it ain't none of my business what a guys does with his stuff but to me, that's just a heartless , impassionate thing to do to a VMax. Have you no conscience Matt?

Latest posts

Back