Thinking about taking the bike to a shop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
I've been wanting to work on the bike and get it running a little better ever since I got it. Unfortunately I never really get time to work on it. What time I do get is in the garage after the kids are in bed and I cant run it. So I'm thinking about breaking down and taking it into a shop. I talked to John over at RMSportmax his rates seem reasonable but unfortunately its about an hour and a half away. Kind of a bit further than I was expecting. Does anyone have any experience letting him work on your bike? Would it really be worth the hour and a half trip to get my carb rebuilt? Also does anyone know of another reputable shop in Jersey or eastern PA?

With all the tutorials and help here I wouldn't think it's that big of a deal to do the job yourself. Compared to some other bikes *coughHONDAV4cough* the Max's carbs are easy.

I guess for the final tuning/sync you need the bike running, but at worst case could you take it to a friend's house so you won't disturb your family?

I try to avoid shops whenever possible, unless it's something I have zero experience with or requires special tools I don't have. Can't ever trust someone to do the job right, not take shortcuts, or tack on an extra hour or two of labor they didn't do. That's just me though.

If you aren't going to do it yourself then I would say that its worth the trip over to John's place. You are way better off with him than some random bike shop. He knows these bikes inside and out.

Yeah Man, I would have no issue going to Jons place. Hour and a half? Are you kidding me? That is a quick trip. Jon is no "stealership" either. He and his shop probably know more about the Max than most if not all dealerships. I rank him up there with Morleys, Boxxenstop, COO, UFO ... Do it, you won't regret it.

There is a shop in Manasquan NJ, kind of at the Jersey shore. Sun Cycle is owned by Frank, and I would see him. He has twenty years + working on VMAX's. He's honest, fairly priced, and does what he says he will. He's approx one hour from your place. No e mail with him, so call him. Shop is closed Sunday and Mondays.

I have NO affiliation with this shop, other than having bought my new / old MAX at his place.

I have never personally had a problem with John and even helped pick up a bike for him on one of our road trips. BUT, a friend bought a "new" header from him that was obviously used when he got it.

Another story I heard from multiple people (and this was years ago) was about John puncturing someones fuel tank prying around on the bike (not sure what they were doing) and then he wouldn't replace it. Never did hear what finally happened with it.

I am not sure how much mechanicing he does on the bikes but I would think he should be able to help you out. Not sure how much his "rate" is either for the fix but with the hour and half you need to drive each way you could take your carbs off yourself and mail them to Me, Mark, or Fargo and have them cleaned and checked.

Takes about 30 minutes to get the carbs off (not that long actually but didn't want to under-estimate it).

Sean

JDK

I am just outside of Newtown, PA and am in the process of getting my baby back together. Carbs are on the "up and coming" list of things to do.

While I am certainly not an expert on carbs possibly an Eastern PA tech day is in order. With the information on this list, I am sure we could at least get it better than it is right now.

I also don't mind working at night. It was 2:30am before I finally knocked off last night.

JDK

I am just outside of Newtown, PA and am in the process of getting my baby back together. Carbs are on the "up and coming" list of things to do.

While I am certainly not an expert on carbs possibly an Eastern PA tech day is in order. With the information on this list, I am sure we could at least get it better than it is right now.

I also don't mind working at night. It was 2:30am before I finally knocked off last night.

Thanks guys. I might be willing to take you up on that redline. How soon are you thinking youll be getting to your carbs?

I have another problem that just came up out of knowhere. The bike ran fine last time I rode about a week ago and yesterday just cranked and cranked and cranked. I havent tore into it yet, but it seemed like I wasn't getting any spark. So once I get through that little bump in the road Ill figure out what I'm doing with the carbs. I have been running seafoam in hopes that it might cleanup my idle and I thought if I saw an improvement there I would buy a carbtune and see how much more of an improvement that gave me. So who knows maybe the seafoam knocked something loose and really clogged up the carbs? :confused2: Ill probably work on that this weekend and hopefully it turns out to be a quick fix.

Try hooking a jumper to it. Sometimes the battery will have enough power to crank the bike over but not enough to let it turn on the CDI box.

Sean

Back