Thinking of buying a Dual sport

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a big thumper 600 or 650 dual sport dont want to spend alot looking at a 86 honda xl 600 with 9500 miles nice bike and nice price also looking at a dr 650 and a klx 650. My question is what do you guys have or have had and liked or disliked. JIM

had a yamaha TT-600, 2000 model without starter... it is a JOHN DEER of the bikes. kept it 5 months.... wasnt my style.. bought a zxr 750 89 model that i loved it

I have a DRZ400 which is more modern that the DR650. It has been a great and dependable bike.

I done some good test rides on some back in Texas. I got to ride the KLR,DR,Xl & a BMW 1150 I rode them all about 20 miles each on the street & about 30 minutes each in the dirt. At the end I liked the DR the best for what I was wanting.

thanks going to look at the 86 xlr 600 sat 9500 miles clean bike cheap price so think im leaning towards that big plus if it runs like my xr500r did that was a fun bike wheelie machine.

Not going to put knobbies on the vmax and go for it LOL

some of the new dual sport or adventure bikes weigh about what the vmax does.

Iv got a few drz 400's Ones stock and way to tall for me. The other has a lowering link and corbin seat which is more my size.

What I dont like? Riding them on the street.

I wish I would have bought a tw200 for the trails.

I bought the 86 xl 600 nice clean stock bike 9500 miles,needs the carbs cleaned and fork seals, couldnt beat the price.

Where are you riding it? Iv found I hardly ride mine any more since most of my riding is street... When I have time

My plan was to take the family to Colorado riding fire roads. Seems like it was my dream and no one else.. Live and learn

how much did it end up costing you? gotta post pics man you know the rules hahhah

i got a 92 dr650, great bike, just trying to find a better or newer shock and spring for it/me, stock one was designed for like a 175lbs rider not a 240 one.

I went with the Pawn Stars attitude picked it apart, he wanted 1500 got it for 900,picking it up tomorrow, will post pics, since my vmax is not gas friendly and i hate leaving it sit in the work parking lot worried who is opening there door into it birds shitting on it etc so my plan is ride the xl to work and i live in the sticks so lots of trails to ride and back roads.

I had an '89 KLR650 and loved it - great dependable bike and very quick up to 100mph. I'd have another one any day. BUT, only good in the dirt in the dry - too heavy for muddy stuff, and too much to brake on dropping it.

Then I had a '90 Yamaha Super T?n?r? 750, again great bike, but better for the road and worse for off-road - even heavier and more breakable than the KLR.

I guess it depends how much on and off-road you're planning to do? I have always thought Honda's XL / XLR to be great bike, and good for off-road but only average on road.

If I was buying a toy mostly for off-road I would get a 250 or maybe a 450 max.

If I was buying a dual-purpose mostly for off-road and town I'd get a KTM

If I was buying one mostly for road I'd get a Kawi Versys or a Ducati MultiStrada or a Benelli Tre-K.

I had an '82 XL500, started giving problems. Got a '95 XR650L and in 3yrs had 2 engine control modules go bad then the countershaft stripped out inside the countershaft sprocket! Then I got a 2000 DRZ400S (bought new and still have) 4gal. tank skid plate, bark busters, luggage rack,3 tooth larger rear sprocket Kenda DOT knobbies; works good for me.

I used to have a 1994 XR650L until a few years ago, and it was a very good bike. I downsized to the KLX250S a few years ago, as I wanted the lighter weight for riding trails and such. The 650 was a much better on road bike for me, but I have plenty of those. As such I traded the highway/interstate ability for a much lighter/easier to ride smaller bike offroad.

Its really going to depend on what you want from the bike. Mostly road riding with the occasional trail, the 650's will serve you well. But if you find yourself using it off road mostly, you will want a lighter bike.

Regards,
R

get a drz 400 e( i wouldn't get anything but an e) ! super reliable and fun to ride. Or if you really want to invest in a toy get the ktm 640 or ktm 950

Back