Thinking of buying, please help!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billydroveit

Reaction score
Ok, so back in the day my buddy had a V-Max...according to me baddest bike i'd ever seen and heard. With Kerker(sp?) pipes and some other mods it sounded just like my 750 HP big block! (er close for a bike!) Anyway, i've alwayd wanted one, and now the opportunity has presented itself. But what I would like is some pointers and things to look for befor i go look at this bike. So please ba patient, and offer up as many pointers as you feel needed. And I really appreciate your opinions.

Here's what i have. The bike is a 1993 Blue in color with 31000 miles. Owner states he's had it for about 3 years. ROde it for two, and parked it because the commute to and from work was too dangerous for him. Claims everything worked perfectly when he parked it, no isssues with trans or anything. Now after sitting for a year, he pulled it out, and the clutch lever has no pressure he says. And of course the battery is bad. He states when you pull the clutch lever it just goes to the handle bar with no pressure and teh clutch won't disengage. He wants $600.00, which I think is cheap. My thoughts are the slave or master is bad? I'm guessing after reading some forums on here the slave is an easy replace, and relatively inexpensive? I'm a car mechanic and doing any repairs is not a biggie to me, i'm just new to working on bikes. My thoughts are that seems to be a pretty cheap price and i'm wondering if there is anything I should look for that would cause this to turn into a money pit project that i just don't want. I already have a race car that sucks my cash...i'm just looking to pick this up, tinker a little and get it running.

So what do the experts say..I'm listening. Thanks to all who respond.

For $600 you can't go wrong in my opinion. Sitting for a year you should expect the carbs to need a good cleaning and I would use a borescope or some method of taking a peek in the cylinders to check for corrosion before I tried to fire it up. As for the clutch it could need a slave rebuild, but it may just be that the lines are so old that they are flexing when the lever is pulled and no pressure is being applied to the slave. Heck there may not even be any fluid in it LOL. As you are in Detroit there are a couple of guys I know in that are that would be willing to help you out with troubleshooting etc.

Like I said for $600 I don't see much of a downside.

Billy, can't go wrong for $600.00. If it does not work out you can part it out for more than that. Probably no fluid in the clutch system is that problem. Carbs will need to be rebuilt for sure as they probably wen't perfect when he parked it. Good Luck, Spur

yea, i'd definitely do it. for $600, even if u dumped another $400 into it u'd easily be able to part it out and get most (if not all ) of tha tinitial $$ back.

For $600 Bucks I would go snatch that Max up right now!!!
Hell the skins alone are worth more than that.
And if what he says is true. A whole new clutch, lines and cylinders still will put you way under what he should be selling it for.

Where is this Max anyway? :whistlin:

I`d definitaly jump on it ,
for that price you can`t go wrong.
and even if you sold it for parts , if the motor is good..it`s worth at least twice that alone, you can also pull a pretty penny for the fenders and tank cover too but, for me .. I would fix it and ride it and then mod it out over the winter.:eusa_dance:
<<Dave>>:punk:

exactly. If you don't buy it give me the guys number. Probably just needs the master filled up and line bled.

Sean

Man.... I NEVER find deals like that! :damn angry:

Billy, can't go wrong for $600.00. If it does not work out you can part it out for more than that. Probably no fluid in the clutch system is that problem. Carbs will need to be rebuilt for sure as they probably wen't perfect when he parked it. Good Luck, Spur

The guy said it starts and runs fine...but hell i figured even if there was more wrong with it there atleast double that money in parts. And the bike is only 7 miles from me...so it won't cost me anythign to transport. Now all i gotta do is figure out HOW to transport.

i can get a car trailer with a front stop bar, can i put teh front tire on teh stop bar with the bike on teh center stand and strap all four corners down?

Man.... I NEVER find deals like that! :damn angry:

I usually don't either! I stumbled upon this one by accident. I think I will buy it tonight. He saent me pictures of thei bike...never been down, no dents, and all good skins. Still looks 100% stock.

Is it normal for the master to lose fluid..liek stated earlier..just fill the master, bleed and go? In cars, if the fluid is gone...there's a bigger problem. I just don't know if this is common on this bike to just have fluid dissapear.

you wanna go halfs on it

I appreciate it, but no. Pretty sure this is going to be an investment deal. If i ride it for two weeks i'd be suprised. I'm gonna ficx it, temp tag it, and turn it over. I'm not in a position to own a bike right now. Wife says race car is enough for now.

FYI...I used to own a yzf600R untill someone took it from my driveway.

The slave cyls seals may have gone on it. That's a cheap fix though.

I would replace ALL fluids including rear diff and add 4 ounces of seafoam to the tank and run it.

I appreciate it, but no. Pretty sure this is going to be an investment deal. If i ride it for two weeks i'd be suprised. I'm gonna ficx it, temp tag it, and turn it over. I'm not in a position to own a bike right now. Wife says race car is enough for now.

FYI...I used to own a yzf600R untill someone took it from my driveway.

Man.....

You could part it out and make money without putting any effort into repairs at all......

That's a GREAT deal:clapping:

Wow $600, you could cut off my arms and legs but I would lick my way to a bargain like that.
Good luck with it.

BUY IT...it might just need to have the system bled or even just to be topped off.Even if the bike is a lost cause and has a shot motor or somthing the return you can get from parting it out to a sucker like me will MORE than pay back what you spent...Not to mention if the clutch is a easy fix (usually is) you just picked up the worlds toughest bike for a tiny fraction of its worth.Not to mention,nothin like havin a hot rod bike parked next to your hot rod car.(I love parkin my red V-Max next to my cherry red Nova) Hope it works out for you. -Ace

BUY IT...it might just need to have the system bled or even just to be topped off.Even if the bike is a lost cause and has a shot motor or somthing the return you can get from parting it out to a sucker like me will MORE than pay back what you spent...Not to mention if the clutch is a easy fix (usually is) you just picked up the worlds toughest bike for a tiny fraction of its worth.Not to mention,nothin like havin a hot rod bike parked next to your hot rod car.(I love parkin my red V-Max next to my cherry red Nova) Hope it works out for you. -Ace

in general how much is a slave cylinder, and in worse case, the master???

Back