1st Gen V-Max This is max, found him alone, scared, and pretty bad off.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you in Kingman AZ? Consider adding the location to your area under the screen name & avatar. That helps if there is someone by you with parts you may want, a riding buddy, or if you offer something for sale.

Do you have a large-dia. hose from the oil sump cap to the airbox? You may have a Dynojet Stage 7 carburetor jet kit installed. It appears to be a '87-'92 bike, what year? If you remove a CV carburetor diaphragm cap and remove the diaphragm/slide, compare it to the pic below to I.D. the needle shape, which should confirm what is in the carburetors. Adding a 4/1 exhaust, if you have the Stage 7 and it's jetted properly, could give you 10%+ more HP over stock.

VMax carburetor needles.jpg

Last edited:
Are you in Kingman AZ? Consider adding the location to your area under the screen name & avatar. That helps if there is someone by you with parts you may want, a riding buddy, or if you offer something for sale.

Do you have a large-dia. hose from the oil sump cap to the airbox? You may have a Dynojet Stage 7 carburetor jet kit installed. It appears to be a '87-'92 bike, what year? If you remove a CV carburetor diaphragm cap and remove the diaphragm/slide, compare it to the pic below to I.D. the needle shape, which should confirm what is in the carburetors. Adding a 4/1 exhaust, if you have the Stage 7 and it's jetted properly, could give you 10%+ more HP over stock.

View attachment 81971
Kingman is my permanent address, for the most part I’m a full time RV’r so I’m kinda anywhere at any given point lol. I just had the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning and i knew something was off, the jets where no where near the stock ones in the kit, and after comparing the needles, I believe it is the stage 7, yes the oversized hose is there, but there was no air box, individual air filters (will post a pic), it has the manual fan switch, had to clean up some shoddy wiring, and got the start button fixed so the headlight and such works again. I purchased max at the end of November last year as I was traveling through Sacramento and I saw it pop up for like 1500.00 so I jumped on it, oh it’s a 88 model, I did also receive a kerker exhaust with it also but after researching it I’m missing some parts for mounting them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
If it's not jumping out of 2nd gear, and it's operable, you are 'way-ahead of the game! Look at the VBoost manifold attached to the cyl heads, are there simple aluminum tubes between the front and rear cyl heads, or is there a more-elaborate casting, like this (between the clamps)?

VMax VBoost manifold.jpg

Dynojet jet sizes are different numbers from Mikuni jet sizes. The DJ numbers are higher numerically for a same-size Mikuni main jet. Usually you can go to a 150 or 147.5 Mikuni jet, slightly-smaller than the usual OEM Mikuni 152.5 main jet. I run a Dynojet Stage 7 kit, 147.5 Mikuni main jets, the 'air-correctors' from the DJ kit, and a UFO 4/1 with a K&N air filter.

Look at the Kerker exhaust instructions and see what it is you're missing, one of the guys I mentioned may have parts you need. Is it a 4/1?

Periodically give the starter button a shot of a lubricant, and do the same to the spring-loaded pin for the safety switch on the sidestand because if that pin sticks, you may be stranded (starter will be dead). The headlight cuts-out when the starter is pressed, and comes back-on when the bike starts. If the starter button sticks, the headlight may-not illuminate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back