This might be a dumb question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
Do lowered forks take less fork oil, I lowered my front end 2" with race tech internals and I put 20 oz of fork oil in each fork, after I was done this above question came to me. Anyone know if forks lowered internally should take less oil?
I think maybe tonight I will set the fork level to the 4.8" spec and see what happens.

Thanks
Richard

I would say yes because you've changed the length of travel. I used less in mine. I'm sure there's better experts than I that can comment though.

Dale #2592

I would say that you can calculate the volume difrence by cylinder capacity formula so:

pi r^0,5 x h

pi = 3,14

r = ID radius. Do not know exactly whats ID of v-max newer typr fork is but lets say that os 39mm ID

h = height, reduced so in your case 2"

So:
3,14(19,5x19,5)x50,8= approximatley 60ml less so about 2 oz less.

Just my toughts, i may be wrong.

I measure from the top of the fork down to the oil. I'm sure less is used but if you use this method then no worries. I measure out a straight clear hose set it in the fork to the desired depth and then use my mity-vac to correct the level.

Works the bee's knees.

Motion Pro makes a device for this as well.

Chris

Can I adjust the oil level with the forks on the bike or do I need to remove them? I think I will lower to oil level tonight and see how it feels. Right now it feels very stiff and kinda bouncy. what depth do you set you oil level to? if i recall the spec is 4.8", the bike is a 2000

richard

Simply suck some of the oil out with a syringe - just make sure to syphon the same amount from each tube. You can do it with the forks on the bike, but make sure the bike's on its center stand and to jack up under the motor, otherwise the oil, springs etc will shoot up in the air and the bike will take a big dive when you remove the fork caps. Also make sure to loosen the top triple tree clamps before attempting to remove these caps.

I can't remember the original level, it's in some forks thread here, and it's measured with the forks fully compressed and the springs inside.

Original oil level for newer fork type, according by one German 2001 service manual that i have:

621 cm3 and level messured from the top to oil: 123mm.

forklevel.jpg

Latest posts

Back