This seems bad...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNDee

Reaction score
Ok. Im sure some of you have been following my journey fixing this '94 vmax.

All 4 cylinders firing? Check
Got gas going through carbs? Check
Still not running right?? Check

See what I found the other day? If the exhaust cant leave the cylinder, it cant compress correct?

What are my options here? Get a whole new exhaust? Cut out the bend and weld new pipe on?

20221010_114023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Im sure some of you have been following my journey fixing this '94 vmax.

All 4 cylinders firing? Check
Got gas going through carbs? Check
Still not running right?? Check

See what I found the other day? If the exhaust cant leave the cylinder, it cant compress correct?

What are my options here? Get a whole new exhaust? Cut out the bend and weld new pipe on?

There are also spot weld dent pullers that weld on a small piece of a welding rod and then you can use a slide hammer to pull it out, You could take it to a body shop and they would probably do it.

I would TIG in a piece of pipe or half piece.

But I have a TIG so....

There are also spot weld dent pullers that weld on a small piece of a welding rod and then you can use a slide hammer to pull it out, You could take it to a body shop and they would probably do it.

I would TIG in a piece of pipe or half piece.

But I have a TIG so....
yo thats a really good idea! get the pipe super hot and tack a piece on and pull it out! Thanks!

Don't know if this actually works but doesn't hurt to try. Costs nothing but a little time.

Other way is to plug both ends with shop air fitting, heat up the dent up to yellow and put in compressed air.

The tubing looks brittle and weak to me. Don't be surprised if the tubing disintegrates as you attempt to rework it. Give it a try, see what happens.

Exhaust pipe usually is not cast (exhaust manifolds can be) and are mandrel bent. They are made to be worked. They start life straight and are usually cold bent. If it is rusty there may be issues. In that case you just cut out rust spot and weld in a patch. I've done this before on dirt bike mufflers and it worked out great.

I've also made custom headers for race cars before. Not easy and will never do that again, probably

Last edited:
Replace it with a used one. If it's stock pipes. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

What kind of exhaust is on the bike ? I have a stud gun for doing body work but it usually yanks holes in the pipe. I have seen a lot of pipes about half flat that made no difference on the Dyno but yours looks almost completely plugged off.

Ever watch 'em fabricate a piece of exhaust tubing with a piece of bent baling wire? They use the wire to get the contour they want, and then use their hydraulic bender with mandrels to form the contour to match the wire. Cut out the old, and weld in the new.

Yuck...I did this to my gen1 many years ago trying to ride over a curb...yeah young and dumb! Not as bad as yours but I was worried that running it like long term like that would cause problems. I don't know that it would but didn't want to chance it. I'd wanted something louder and lighter anyway so this gave me an excuse to spend the coin. Went with Mark's 4-1. Raunchy loud but I love it! I remember he made and snt the system to me and didn't require payment until I had it installed and was happy. Not even for shipping. Such a positive buying experience. I still have the OEM system. I never even thought about trying to repair it but it's good to know that it's possible. I have this thing about keeping all my original parts for everything I own...

I would not expect that to significantly reduce your power and for sure not the reason it won't start. Lots of ways to repair it. Just from that view only it looks like a Kerker?

I don't agree with power loss statement. That pipe is bad and will surely hurt performance of that cylinder. I agree with you about that dent having nothing to do with starting the engine and idling.

Good thing about this dent is that whether one fixes it or not, it is almost invisible. I would definitely fix it but I'm not going to argue over it. To each their own.

Latest posts

Back