This sounds just like what I have

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I did some surfing on the problem I seem to have with my carbs and found this,

Hi Hans,
Blaine probably has the same problem as me, the airscrew on one of my carbs seized which results it in idling more-or-less ok, but as you accelerates slowly ? run only on 3 cylinders and when the main system takes over, it?s OK. On deceleration, it backfired since then. He must just set his airscrews to factory standard and it will be OK
I still have to get a way to remove that screw, but the bike is not here yet and I shall do it in good time.
Regards to all my Vmax friends and will be in my dreams with you on the rally!!
Vmaximus from Australia
JJ

A few of you joked about one of my spark plugs looking new when I changed them and posted a pic of all 4, remember this

plugs.jpg

If I had the same problem as what is described in the email above would that explain my new looking plug in the pic above??

How can I check to see if this is the problem ?

Another question, has anyone ever posted images of a VMAX'S carbs and pointed out all the parts ?

What are your feelings about the problems I seem to be having and the cure above in the email.

Thanks
Ron

Re: This sounds just like I have

Hey Ron,

your left front plug looks like it hasn't fired at all, like there is no gas at all getting to it. If there was and it didn't fire, it would be black and wet. If there was too little gas and it did fire, it would be white. Very strange indeed, but I don't think a pilot jet screw alone would be responsible for this, as it only controls air/fuel ratio at very low revs. After that, needle and main jet take over, so there must be something else going on, like no gas at all coming through.

I would try draining the fuel bowl of your left front carb, to see what comes out. If it's full, maybe your needle valve is stuck shut. If it's empty, maybe one of your fuel hoses above the carb is blocked. Also, it could just be (but unlikely) that the whole carb is so gummed up that no fuel is flowing through.

I posted 5 threads of rebuilding my carbs in pictures. Most parts are identified, check it out - this is the first one: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830

All five are stickies in VMaxForum.net > Technical 85 -07 > Carb/Tuning

Yes, After I took those plugs out and put new ones in I thought maybe that one plug wasn't seated good so I made sure all of them were torqued good. I ran it for a while and I checked that one plug again and it had been firing so I might not have had the first plug in good.

The bike runs great after I get going but from a stop it seems like it doesn't want to run without stalling or bogging out, once I get it going above 3000 or so it runs great, it's just that very low end. Once it is warm it idles fine and my carbs are all synceed fine, checked them twice.

I don't know much about carbs so I'm afraid to dig into them... It could also be my gas cause the more I run it the better it gets so I hope it is going well if it sells before Sat. If it doesn't sell I am keeping it and I will go with plan B........lol

Its a long shot but maybe your having the same problem I was having. The Carbs were coming out and eventually came completely out of the boots. To check just lift up on the carbs and watch to see if theyre in properly. :confused2:

Just trying to think outside the box a little.

Thanks but that's not the problem I checked to make sure of that also....

You trying to scare me to death???? I'm a rookie when it comes to working on my bike....specially the carbs. That's why I asked if anyone had taken some pictures of the carbs and was kind enough to point out all the inner working parts of a VMAX carb.

No answers yet......lol I hear Kansas is nice this time of year I might see about taking a trip down for a few days, pay Sean to do some work then take him out and get hin very drunk and on the thrird day we rest........lol

I don't dig into places I have not done before unless they are well........ nevermind.......lol

Thanks
Ron

There are very well written and photographed How-to's in the carb section. Maleko89 and NaughtyG (among others) have many very well written and photographed posts that explain just about anything to do with the carb and its maladies.

Agree with Maxx ..your pilot is clogged..but gotta remove jet block to get to it. It sounds like your reluctant to do it but if you're gonna have someone else do it eventually, might as well try to do it and if you get stuck then send it off. Could also video as you go along so some here can help if you get stuck.

That's why I asked if anyone had taken some pictures of the carbs and was kind enough to point out all the inner working parts of a VMAX carb.

No answers yet......lol

Thanks
Ron

I posted this earlier for you... did you take a look?

I posted 5 threads of rebuilding my carbs in pictures. Most parts are identified, check it out - this is the first one: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830

All five are stickies in VMaxForum.net > Technical 85 -07 > Carb/Tuning

No, I was saying that when the bike is warmed up it idles fine no problems there it is a steady 1000 rpms. The problem is when I am riding it and going from a stop to a slow roll it doesn't run well but after you get going it runs fine.

So to sum it up my problem is from a stop and normally I would give it enough throttle to take off smooth but if I let the clutch out with normal amount of throttle it wants to stall but if I give it more throttle than it would normally need it takes off but then you get the problem that it appears like you are trying to get the jump on someone off the line.

does that make any sense? which I had the knowledge where I could explain my issues in a more educated way but I am learning so I am doing my best to describe the issues.

Thanks
Ron

There are very well written and photographed How-to's in the carb section. Maleko89 and NaughtyG (among others) have many very well written and photographed posts that explain just about anything to do with the carb and its maladies.

Could you please provide me with the links of the threads if possible?

Thanks
Ron

Could you please provide me with the links of the threads if possible?

Thanks
Ron
See Naughtyg's post #10 in this link: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12271
He provided the links to the threads detailing his carb dismantling and rebuilding. Look in the carb section "sticky's" (green highlighted section at the beginning of the section) Looks of infofmation to read there!

Back