Three tiny pin holes??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlopes

Reaction score
If you push the butterfly valve open on the carb, there are three tiny pin holes in a triangle pattern on the wall of the carb right where the butterfly seats. What are these for? Do they lead anywhere or are they just three tiny chambers? If they lead to somewhere, what is the best way to ensure they are free of any blockage?:confused2:

These are called bypass holes and are for the off idle part of the pilot circuit. As the butterfly opens it uncovers these holes and mixture comes out from the pilot chamber. The mixture screws hold is at the other end of the chamber.

Cut off a 3 inch piece of 14 gage wire. Strip one end about 1/4 inch and fold or cut all but one wire strand. Bend remaining strand 90 degrees. Now, you have a way to ensure those holes are clear.

After the wire cleaning, is there an easy access hole that I can spray cleaner through to get all the crap out?

Not really. You could remove the mixture screw and spray in there. But, the debris may not all get out of the mixture screw hold in the carb bore. IMHO, best way would be to squirt in hole under jet block in float bowl. One of the holes is what supplies the pilot chamber with fuel mixture. If you remove the mixture screw, cover the pilot screw outlet hole and spray in that float bowl hole when I would expect any dirt to some out where the mixture screws plugs in.

The reason why I ask is because I just cleaned my carbs and I ran across those three holes when I was reassembling the carbs. Now I want to go back in and respray the path that leads to the three holes with the butterfly OPEN. With the butterfly close, it doesn't seem like you can get a good flow of pressure and fluid through there. I'll test it out and find which one it is. Tanks for da help Maleko...have one on me....:icon_jook:

With the carb off the bike and the bowl and metering block removed..

Underneath the metering block there are three passageway holes cast into the carb body, one of these holes, if blown into with degreaser or carb cleaner, will pressurize and stream out of two of the smaller holes on the down side of the butterfly.

One of the other smaller holes I think comes from the idle circuit, can't remember for sure....

My experience, which admittedly isn't a lot since this is only the second time I've done a full tear down, is that it really doesn't matter what postion the butterfly is in, if you pressurize the passageway with spray cleaner; wherever you find it, stuffs going to come out of the other end of the passageway.....although it help to have the butterfly open so you can see what the hell is going on....

It was really interesting to go through about a dozen cans of degreaser that I didn't have to pay for experimenting/cleaning the carbs (after a soak) and discovering where all the holes come from and lead to..it's pretty a damn complicated casting...

I'm in the middle of doing mine right now and still need to put them back together....

Rusty

The reason why I ask is because I just cleaned my carbs and I ran across those three holes when I was reassembling the carbs. Now I want to go back in and respray the path that leads to the three holes with the butterfly OPEN. With the butterfly close, it doesn't seem like you can get a good flow of pressure and fluid through there. I'll test it out and find which one it is. Tanks for da help Maleko...have one on me....:icon_jook:

There's a sticky in the Carbs section titled Float Bowl Orifices. The holes are labeled in a picture there.

Thanks for the beer. I had a Sam Adams Winter lager!

Mike, woo-hoo! We have a beer grocery store here in Omaha named Beertopia. They have dozens of different beers including micros I've never heard of. You can build your own 6 and 12 packs so mixing and matching is fun.

Mike, woo-hoo! We have a beer grocery store here in Omaha named Beertopia. They have dozens of different beers including micros I've never heard of. You can build your own 6 and 12 packs so mixing and matching is fun.
Frick, I miss living in a bigger city...sometimes! Thanks for reminding me Mark :biglaugh: (j/k)
We have a few choices of micros around here but the are very seasonal. When I lived just north of Seattle we used to watch college/ pro football while trying the different brown pop flavors. :icon_jook: Mmmm, good times!

You have to love the micro brews. A little more coin but well worth it. My favorite is Alaskan Amber, but Silver Gultch brewery has great offerings too.

Brian, when you and Jim get up here we'll have to take a trip out to Fox and get some Silver Gultch :punk:

Back