Throttle closed--Flies open??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So when I reassembled my carbs, all the butterflies are open about a fingernail's width. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, but there's no amount of screwing/unscrewing the sync screws that will get them to close. I even backed out the idle screw, but they all still stay just barely open. I'm thinking this is going to give me a really high idle speed and other things that shouldn't be. I'll try to get a pic if that helps, but I'm pretty sure I just did something dumb and you guys will be able to tell me without looking.

thanks

Check the throttle cables are seated properly on the carbs and/ or adjust some slack into the throttle cables with the adjusters on the cables.

Being open should be dependant on the throttle stop thumbscrew adjustment. If that won't move it closed, and you've checked to see that nothing is binding when opened all the way, the next thing I would look at would be the "shock absorber springs in the butterfly linkage between carbs, also the linkage itself could be assembled wrong??

So the valves are ajar with the throttle cables disconnected from the connection housing under the scoop?

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

So the valves are ajar with the throttle cables disconnected from the connection housing under the scoop?

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

Yes. I didn't take any of the throttle linkage brackets off the carbs when I was cleaning them. What could I do with the springs to change this?

And I'll go unscrew the thumbscrew a little more. They were a bit sticky, but they snap closed without issue, now... except for the not quite closed part.

Ok. So I'm not sure why, but working the throttle with silicon lube spray for a while and unscrewing the idle screw seems to have allowed everything to close up. I'm not sure what was going on, but I'll see what happens tomorrow when I get the last hose clamp and get everything seated. I just hope she starts. I'll have to make my sync tool later. Thanks, guys.

Latest posts

Back