Throttle Free Play "Adjustment"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riderboy1961

Reaction score
I haven't tried to adjust the free play in my throttle yet. I tried to get the Directions out of the supplied Owners Manual but, it states to take it to the Dealership to get the Throttle Free Play adjusted. I have No intentions of doing that.

I believe we have the Fly by Wire throttle system?

Can we Adjust the Free Play on the Throttle on these 2nd Gen's, similarly to if it had Throttle Cables?

I want to get rid of the free play I have between: throttle stop & when the throttle grip starts opening the throttle bodies. I want to have zero free play, looking for Instant Throttle off idle.

(I was riding with a friend a couple days ago, and when ever I went to give it throttle I had to twist the grip a bit (Free play, no throttle), each time, just to get the throttle to grab the throttle bodies)
I hope I am saying this the way I mean it... lol

I haven't tried to adjust the free play in my throttle yet. I tried to get the Directions out of the supplied Owners Manual but, it states to take it to the Dealership to get the Throttle Free Play adjusted. I have No intentions of doing that.

I believe we have the Fly by Wire throttle system?

Can we Adjust the Free Play on the Throttle on these 2nd Gen's, similarly to if it had Throttle Cables?

I want to get rid of the free play I have between: throttle stop & when the throttle grip starts opening the throttle bodies. I want to have zero free play, looking for Instant Throttle off idle.

(I was riding with a friend a couple days ago, and when ever I went to give it throttle I had to twist the grip a bit (Free play, no throttle), each time, just to get the throttle to grab the throttle bodies)
I hope I am saying this the way I mean it... lol

There is still a throttle cable, and the adjustment is right below the throttle grip. No tools required.

That being said, you may find that there might not be enough adjustment there to completely take up the slack. If that's the case then there is a fix but your dealer won't know about it......I have a hack for that but it's a PITA because you need to take the entire airbox off and add a nut to the connection at the TB's.

It's covered here in the service manual in section 3 page 9 (page 136).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/et38kqznxs9eu57/Gen 2 Service Manual.pdf?dl=0

Itgoes: Thank you for all this.

When I open the drop box for the Service Manual, I can only get the Side Bar to Show all the pages in it, nothing on the Large Main Page.
When I try to open page #136 and Enlarge the page all I get is a Black Page with nothing on it?
Do I need to download something onto my desktop Computer so this Manual will work correctly for me?

There is still a throttle cable, and the adjustment is right below the throttle grip. No tools required.

That being said, you may find that there might not be enough adjustment there to completely take up the slack. If that's the case then there is a fix but your dealer won't know about it......I have a hack for that but it's a PITA because you need to take the entire airbox off and add a nut to the connection at the TB's.

Ill try this Adjuster and see if I like the results. If I do Not and want to try to take up more slack... I will get back to you on the hack for that airbox and nut work.
Thank you Very Much Sir!!

Itgoes: Thank you for all this.

When I open the drop box for the Service Manual, I can only get the Side Bar to Show all the pages in it, nothing on the Large Main Page.
When I try to open page #136 and Enlarge the page all I get is a Black Page with nothing on it?
Do I need to download something onto my desktop Computer so this Manual will work correctly for me?

It's a PDF file which is very common, but it's best opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available free. Most PC'S already have it installed.

You might want to try downloading the manual and then opening it on your PC.

Perfect!!

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader (it was Not installed on this computer, I bought it New last summer, "Acer" with only 8gb)

Thanks Brother!

That manual is terrific !
I might be missing something but my 2012 has 2 throttle cables coming out of grip.
It appears like a "push/pull" arrangement.
Will I run the chance of putting things out of sync if I start adjusting ?

I finally got around to adjusting the Free Play on my bikes throttle cable. I did Not start the bike afterward though as I haven't been leaving the house for a while.
I was able to adjust All the free play out of the cable. I believe it was the Pull Cable that I adjusted.
Once I start and ride the bike I may need to re-adjust.

Thank you Again Itgoes!!

Wow ! I must be blind .
Well I do need glasses at my age.
I have seen the light !
The cable adjuster is right there.
Did my thing and good to go.
Thanks Itgoes !

I bought my 2009 used and have the cable adjusted all the way so it is barely hanging on to the last few threads and there is STILL too much slack on the throttle. Not sure how it got this way with only 4k miles, it's like the throttle cable is stretched. How did this happen with such low miles.

Can you tell me the hack to fix this? Thanks

Latest posts

Back