Throttle hesitation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

im having trouble with my vmax 97.
the bike seems to run great In overall but it is hesitating when turning the throttle from idle position. I have cleaned the carburetors. The hesitation was there last season so i thought that a good cleaning of carbs would do it.

im running stock jetting

Pilot jet: 37,5
Pilot Air jet 1: 90
Pilot air jet 2 : 170
Main jet: 152.5

do i Got the right jetting?
Any other things to check?

0-100 m above sealevel

thanks
Soren

Ensure you have sufficient slack in your cables.

Change your gas filter, they're cheap, especially if you use a properly-sized aftermarket one.

Drain each of your float bowls into a clear container, one at a time, emptying it in-between. Don't do it within distance of any pilot lighted appliance like a gas water heater or a gas furnace. What kind of debris do you spot? Is there any 'lens' of water floating on top at the bottom (thanks dannymax) of the gasoline?

Is your fuel tank shiny-bright on the interior bottom?

Check to see if your enrichment pistons are all closing properly when you thumb-off the lever. If one or more are sticking open, problems!

Is your air cleaner clean?

Last edited:

Change your gas filter, they're cheap, especially if you use a properly-sized aftermarket one. just changed. OEM

Drain each of your float bowls into a clear container, one at a time, emptying it in-between. Don't do it within distance of any pilot lighted appliance like a gas water heater or a gas furnace. What kind of debris do you spot? Is there any 'lens' of water floating on top (thanks dannymax) of the gasoline?

Is your fuel tank shiny-bright on the interior bottom? just cleaned the fuel tank. Looks great now

Check to see if your enrichment pistons are all closing properly when you thumb-off the lever. If one or more are sticking open, problems! they Seem to act normal

Is your air cleaner clean?

Change your gas filter, they're cheap, especially if you use a properly-sized aftermarket one. just changed. OEM

Drain each of your float bowls into a clear container, one at a time, emptying it in-between. Don't do it within distance of any pilot lighted appliance like a gas water heater or a gas furnace. What kind of debris do you spot? Is there any 'lens' of water floating on top (thanks dannymax) of the gasoline?

Is your fuel tank shiny-bright on the interior bottom? just cleaned the fuel tank. Looks great now

Check to see if your enrichment pistons are all closing properly when you thumb-off the lever. If one or more are sticking open, problems! they Seem to act normal

Is your air cleaner clean? gonna check it later

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue with my 2000 carbon. I have to rev it up on take-off or you might fall flat. Thanks Fire - Medic for the great troubleshooting checks, will check all. Right now, I'm having to bleed my clutch often. Purchased new $100 slave hoping to fix the clutch and wet kickstand. Good mechanics to everyone and like we say in the aircraft industry, wheels up.

Wet check fuel levels? It's critical. As is sync, like mentioned. Our carbs are not difficult, but details all matter. 152 jets usually get replaced with 150's of 147 mains. A/f setting does matter.

I rode my VMax around Europe last year for about 8000 miles and had the same issue sometimes. Once it was because I had steam cleaned her and water must have gotten into the fuel system or maybe the electrical. After 500 miles it straightened out. The other time must have been bad fuel. Imagine there might have been water in the fuel or some other contaminant. But learned that “use it ot lose it” applied in both cases. Have you been riding with this problem for more than 1,000 miles? In which has it might indeed be your hardware. Sometimes it’s just “software” or fuel / water I reckon.

Hi

i never replied on this with a solution.
bought new pilot jets - original, and gave the carburetors a good Air blow through all holes and also used some carb cleaner. Also bought original Air/fuel mixture screws. Seems to run much better now. Thanks.

Hi

i never replied on this with a solution.
bought new pilot jets - original, and gave the carburetors a good Air blow through all holes and also used some carb cleaner. Also bought original Air/fuel mixture screws. Seems to run much better now. Thanks.
Thanks for posting a follow up. That's a huge help to others that maybe chasing down a similar problem.

Latest posts

Back