Throttle Locks/Cruise Control

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wish a decent option existed. Everything i've seen looks super clunky. I've got an idea on real cruise, we'll see if i can make it work.

Gen 1 cruise control was done maybe 20-30 years ago. I don't know that I kept the article. I had made up some cables and mounted up a venture unit on a Vmax maybe 5 years ago. Took a few pics but didn't take time to work out the bugs on it before the bike delivered. I don't know that the customer spent any time getting it fine tuned either?

The Vista cruise has been on my Gen 1 for well over a decade and has been flawless. And it's the cheaper plastic unit. It works well enough to
just get my hand off the throttle for a bit on a long ride. It's more a lock than anything, and its safe. You can defeat the friction if you needed to.

The Vista cruise has been on my Gen 1 for well over a decade and has been flawless. And it's the cheaper plastic unit. It works well enough to
just get my hand off the throttle for a bit on a long ride. It's more a lock than anything, and its safe. You can defeat the friction if you needed to.
I might have to look into that. I absolutely abhor riding slab, but the trip to Charleston, SC is fastest that way and my old, arthritic hands can barely handle it anymore.

I've always been scared of those things thinking that in an emergency I wouldn't be able to react fast enough.

I might have to look into that. I absolutely abhor riding slab, but the trip to Charleston, SC is fastest that way and my old, arthritic hands can barely handle it anymore.

I've always been scared of those things thinking that in an emergency I wouldn't be able to react fast enough.

The nice thing about the BrakeAway throttle lock, is that it is a high quality unit, made from machined aluminum and it doesn't look or feel cheap. It also has a release mechanism which disengages the unit when the front brake is applied.

Had both the Brake-Away and Vista Cruise. The Brake-Away is expensive, tricky to install and set up but works flawlessly afterward.
The Vista Cruise is very inexpensive, fairly easy to install and also works flawlessly.
I've also used a Crampbuster, a little paddle like thing that allows you to use the palm of your hand to ease twist pressure. They work ok too, but won't allow throttle hand removal like the other two will.

It really boils down to what you want.

I have the Kaoko unit on my 2012. Works great and matches stock bar end.
Around 100 bucks. Easy install.

If you have ISO grips, Kury makes a throttle lock that looks like their matching weighted bar ends. Works and looks good. Nobody ever knows it there. They also make 2 styles of cramp buster for the ISO grips which I didnt care for.

I use Brake-Away Throttle Locks. They are extremely pricey but worth it for me. I bought 3 at the same time. One for the Gen 1, one for the Gen 2, and one for the Vulcan. I was able to set them up all reasonably quick. Took 90 minutes to install and set up all 3.

I dont have access to the Gen 2 throttle lock pics. But I have the Gen 1 throttle lock pics. 0510211945a.jpg0510211945.jpg0510211944f.jpg

If you have ISO grips, Kury makes a throttle lock that looks like their matching weighted bar ends. Works and looks good. Nobody ever knows it there. They also make 2 styles of cramp buster for the ISO grips which I didnt care for.
I apologize for bumping an old thread. And apologize even further for my blurry pic. :rolleyes:
However, I do agree that the Kury throttle locks work great... you can engage with your pinky! My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that they could have offered a set half the length. Maybe they still will? Regardless, the throttle lock works great, even if it does look like I have Goldthing bar ends on my bike. 😁
HPIM4267.JPG

I think about how awkward it is to set the throttle at the desired speed with the clamp on style ones that brace against the brake lever and feel like this would be equally as awkward...

I think about how awkward it is to set the throttle at the desired speed with the clamp on style ones that brace against the brake lever and feel like this would be equally as awkward...
One like mine is a little awkward at first, until you get used to it. I haven't tried the clamp on style yet, maybe on the next bike.

Not sure how the others work but the kury is simple to set and you can easily fine adjust throttle + or - as needed...and any throttle lock will need to be adjusted if you want to maintain a constant speed on hills and such.

Back