Ticking right front cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randyh

Reaction score
I have a 98 Vmax 1200. It sat for years then I had carbs done , new tires and brakes. Got it back it ran better than ever. I was driving it pretty hard and noticed I over reved it a few times. It now has a ticking coming from the right front cylinder. Using a screw driver to my ear it seems loudest right at the cylinder. I tried sea foam but in 10 miles the ticking remains. I listened to the exhaust as I heard they’re double walled and the inner pipe breaks causing a ticking but it’s definitely coming from the cylinder. Any suggestions as to what’s making the noise? A friend suggested thicker oil which when I drained it only 3 quarts came out. I know it holds 4.2 with the filter. I believe the mechanic didn’t put enough oil in it when he did the work. Thicker oil did nothing to fix the tick. It has 7,200 miles and never used oil before. Thks Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2922.MOV
    41.8 MB
Do a compression test on all cylinders first. Then pull the valve cover and look at the cam lobes and valves.

As you already know, these engines don't tolerate over-revving.

Reason a DYNA or Ignitech ignition box w/rev-limiter capability is a good addition if you run it hard.

As Jack Hammer suggested, seeing what's going on in the valvetrain may show something. Read the valve clearances.

As to the oil level, didn't you use the oil window to see the oil level? I don't think I'd trust that tech anymore if he cannot fill it with the proper amount of oil. Looking at oil level is one of those things I do before a ride, like checking the f & r brakes & the clutch for excessive play & proper operation, along with tire pressures for an obvious low pressure situation. Brake light & headlight operation too. A routine like that helps you to stay alive & unhurt.

Last edited:
Back