Tie downs with safty hook

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to upgrade my strap situation with a big road trip coming up. Do you guys think the 2" set is worth the $99??

I need to upgrade my strap situation with a big road trip coming up. Do you guys think the 2" set is worth the $99??

god no! but thats just me. i use regular autozone, hf, wallyworld ratchets and haven't had a problem yet. i would recommend a good wheel chock tho. the ones from HF that you can get with a $45 coupon are really nice, and they can be used in the garage too.

god no! but thats just me. i use regular autozone, hf, wallyworld ratchets and haven't had a problem yet. i would recommend a good wheel chock tho. the ones from HF that you can get with a $45 coupon are really nice, and they can be used in the garage too.

+1, they are very adequate. I keep my bike in the trailer all the time now. A chock is handy to support the bike before securing it down.

+1, they are very adequate. I keep my bike in the trailer all the time now. A chock is handy to support the bike before securing it down.
Cheap tie downs will work for till you have a bike come loose. Two different people had bikes come loose in trailers on there way to thunder. Just saying. I like the safety hook on the tie downs when you hit a bump and the straps slack they wont come unhooked.

I bought a set of 4 (1 1/2") at CostCo for something like $30 and used them for many, many transports without any probs ever. Those things were near indestructible and great quality. Dunno about paying $99..

I have the $30 ratchet specials with no problems also. Where I think it pays to buy the "better" straps is the friction ones which I use to back-up the front ratchet straps on the bars and the rear of the bike. Mine are frayed from years of use and I guess i'll buy the "respectable" level ratchets for replacements.

As I mentioned in prior posts my near catastrophy was when a front anchor point snapped while hitting a big pothole and the bike almost went over (miracle it didn't). So I ALWAYS anchor the front end to 4 seperate points (4 straps) plus 1 or 2 straps for the rear depending on distance.

+ 1 on the wheel chocks. Don't leave home without 'em , and use the best straps your budget can handle.

Attachments

• DSC03232.jpg
    DSC03232.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
I use ratchet straps from canadian tire on the dirtbikes. But i always wondered.. I have fork supports for the dirtbikes so u can ratchet them real good.. Wonder if that would be a good idea as well so the forks dont have any play in them when u strap it down.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Cheap tie downs will work for till you have a bike come loose. Two different people had bikes come loose in trailers on there way to thunder. Just saying. I like the safety hook on the tie downs when you hit a bump and the straps slack they wont come unhooked.
No doubt saftey hooks are better. I strap my front suspention compressed a little. And, compress the rear a bit. For a long run I'd put extra lines on.

Latest posts

Back