timing marks and cam position

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
I'm in the process of cheking my valvle clearance. Found timing mark for T1 , as shown in pic below ( sorry for the size don't know how to resize). When I check my #1 Cylinder I expected the lobe to be pointing face up but they are as shown on the second picture. Am I doing something wrong ?

Tks

Max

C:\Users\mcasseus\Documents\Project\ACS\Overview\timing_Mark.jpg

C:\Users\mcasseus\Documents\Project\ACS\Overview\CAMS.jpg

Attachments

• timing_Mark2.JPG
    timing_Mark2.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Cams2.JPG
    Cams2.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 27
When I see the timing mark for T1 should I be seeing the cam lobes pointing straight up for Cyl #1 ?

Max

try turning the engine 180? so T1 shows again. i never use the timing marks honestly i just rotate the engine until the valves I want's cam-shaft's lobes are straight up.

Here are the pics that didn't load in my first post

Attachments

• timing_Mark2.JPG
    timing_Mark2.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Cams2.JPG
    Cams2.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 22
No need to use flywheel marks. Just point the lobe straight up from the buckets.

I will add. You are not on the correct line if you were going to set the cam anyway. You would be on the line seen just to the left in the picture. Also, you would not go by the lobe orientation. You would verify the large or small holes (depending on which head) compared to the casting mark in the outer cap.

If setting up cams like newly installed or new engine this is really important.

If lashing valves alone just go with the cams at "rabbit ears position" for the cylinder in question, don't worry about the crank marks.

If setting up cams like newly installed or new engine this is really important.

If lashing valves alone just go with the cams at "rabbit ears position" for the cylinder in question, don't worry about the crank marks.

+3

b/c on the 3 valve jobs i've helped with we've done it that way.

Latest posts

Back